Author Topic: RIP Staceys  (Read 2364 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
RIP Staceys
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:44:38 AM »
Another independent bookstore bites the dust.  Too bad, it's a pretty fine bookstore, both for tech geeks and book lovers in general.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/07/BAFN154UV2.DTL
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Staceys
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:53:53 AM »
Saw that yesterday on the SFGate front page--I am distraught. I figured if they'd survived this long they'd be able to soldier thru anything. So sorry to see them go. Cody's, A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books, now Stacey's, and numerous smaller neighborhood stores like Black Oak and 9th Ave Books are all gone--who's left?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »
Saw that yesterday on the SFGate front page--I am distraught. I figured if they'd survived this long they'd be able to soldier thru anything. So sorry to see them go. Cody's, A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books, now Stacey's, and numerous smaller neighborhood stores like Black Oak and 9th Ave Books are all gone--who's left?

the store that replaced Clean Well-Lighted in Opera Plaza... can't remember their name but i think they're indie.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 10:01:58 AM »
Heard this on the TV news last night, both Christina & I were saddened as at different times we each worked around the corner & spent numerous lunch & coffee breaks hanging out there.

Kevin "The KFOG Book Guy" Hunsanger's Green Apple Books is still apparently thriving, at least according to him during Dave's final week.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »

the store that replaced Clean Well-Lighted in Opera Plaza... can't remember their name but i think they're indie.

I think that's Books, Inc.?
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 10:31:49 AM »
Madwimmin is still hanging in there.  :)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”