Author Topic: 26 Nov 2008: Cavalcade of Turkeys!  (Read 21026 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 26 Nov 2008: Cavalcade of Turkeys!
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2008, 11:49:57 AM »
Damn!  It coulda been me that one the Bonus quiz, I was the first caller, but I didn't know the answer.  Question is, "What do we commonly know "Man Na Mah Na" from?"  But all I could come up with was Sweden Heaven & Hell.

ETA:  That's what I get for never watching the Muppet Show.

Dude, that is TOTALLY unfair! I'd've said SH&H too -- I remember seeing the Muppets on Ed Sullivan several years after the movie came out, doing a routine to "Mah nah mah na" and thinking "do they KNOW this is from an X-rated movie??"

don't punish your self, mshray.  You can never truly predict how the wily Annalisa will be thinking about any given subject.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2008, 12:22:42 PM »
too too obvious for Dave's set, but here it is on WLNG: Little Eva's "Let's Turkey Trot", a goofy Goffin/King comp that I've become quite fond of. Gobble-gobble-diddle-it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeDn2C_YYE
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »
Damn!  It coulda been me that one the Bonus quiz, I was the first caller, but I didn't know the answer.  Question is, "What do we commonly know "Man Na Mah Na" from?"  But all I could come up with was Sweden Heaven & Hell.

Dude, that is TOTALLY unfair! I'd've said SH&H too -- I remember seeing the Muppets on Ed Sullivan several years after the movie came out, doing a routine to "Mah nah mah na" and thinking "do they KNOW this is from an X-rated movie??"

Well, when Annalisa asked the question, she made it clear that the movie -- which she mentioned by name -- was NOT what she was going for.  Something like "what english speaking source (show?) made it popular after the movie?"
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »

Well, when Annalisa asked the question, she made it clear that the movie -- which she mentioned by name -- was NOT what she was going for.  Something like "what english speaking source (show?) made it popular after the movie?"

[Emily Litella voice]"Never mind"[/Emily Litella voice]

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2008, 01:11:02 PM »
TANC: there's a thread over on the NY Radio Message Board about when & where to hear "Alice's Restaurant" on NY radio this year. Someone recounted a story about when he was a music director at a station back in 1980 and they played it. Next day the station manager called him in to complain about "that song with some young guy going on and on about the woes of the world", and whatthehell was it, and we pay you as a Music Director to keep stuff like that from happening, etc.

So another poster replied: "Was that the same station manager who said 'with god as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly'?"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2008, 01:55:31 PM »

Yeah, I know.  I was still listening on the stream, and when she started talking about "Mah Na Mah Na" I dialed the KFOG number & she picked up on the 2nd ring...but I wasn't thinking about the delay.  So I was hearing her asking the question on the stream and simultaneously hearing her on the phone asking if I had the answer.  Annalisa still gave me every chance to answer, but, although in the back of my brain I might have had it, there was no way the gears were grinding in the right direction to pull it out.  Not her fault at all.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:58:09 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »
oh boy, I loves me some Surfin' Bird!

Gobble Gobble.... Ten songs that are just....Turkeys

1. Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
2. Trashmen - Surfin' Bird
3. Dave & Ansel Collins - Double Barrel
4. Gerardo - Rico Suave
5. Pipkins - Gimme Dat Ting (Lifetime Achievement Award)
6. Ray Stevens - MegaMix featuring Guitarzan (Best of Set)
7. Chumbawamba - Tub Thumping
8. Joe Dolce - Shaddup You Face
9. Artists Unknown - Manna Manna (Sweden Heaven & Hell Soundtrack)
10. Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feelin'

BONUS TRACK: Frank Zappa - Valley Girl
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2008, 03:37:22 PM »

The little-seen but phenomenal sequel.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2008, 09:45:30 PM »

9. Artists Unknown - Manna Manna (Sweden Heaven & Hell Soundtrack)

Manna Manna?!?!?  This may go down as one of the worst intern typos ever!
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2008, 09:48:28 PM »

The little-seen but phenomenal sequel.

Yep. That was phenomenal all right.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »
ray stevens + laugh track = genius!!
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2008, 10:28:27 PM »
Can anyone name all the components of the Ray Stevens Megamedley? I don't think I've ever heard the one between Ahab the Arab and Bridget the Midget.  (And Dave left out Everything Is Beautiful, which he certainly could have included since he did play Misty.)
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2008, 10:33:34 PM »
Well, we're at the point in the replay where the stream took a sh*t this morning. Hoping history does not repeat. I'd kinda like to hear the rest of it.

ETA: SUCCESS!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:46:52 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »
With my post here, we tie for the second busiest KFOG 10@10 thread ever, topped only by Election Day.  (I'm sure the Yahoo/old board days never saw 100+ posts.)  Congrats!  Good times.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2008, 10:53:59 PM »
Can anyone name all the components of the Ray Stevens Megamedley? I don't think I've ever heard the one between Ahab the Arab and Bridget the Midget.  (And Dave left out Everything Is Beautiful, which he certainly could have included since he did play Misty.)

not in order, bit I either heard or someone here named these:

Ahab the Arab
In the Mood (chickens clucking)
Bridget the Midget
The Streak
Gitarzan
I Need Your Help Barry Manilow
~CPL593H~