Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 11/10/08  (Read 12004 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Cat Radio
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »
Not sure if anyone out there can hear Pirate Cat Radio, but they are a pirate (duh) station at 87.9 FM.  They also stream from their website (http://piratecatradio.com/).

Thanks for the tip -- I'll check 'em out after 10@10.

FYI, I get an error message when I try to open their player -- and it's WMP, normally totally compatible with my work PC.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 11/10/08
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 11:03:46 AM »
TANC: after hearing the New Seekers' version from Casey this wknd, here's Melanie's orig "Look What They Done To My Song" on KCDX.

If only Piaf had lived to record this!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 11:04:19 AM »
Not sure if anyone out there can hear Pirate Cat Radio, but they are a pirate (duh) station at 87.9 FM.  They also stream from their website (http://piratecatradio.com/).

Thanks for the tip -- I'll check 'em out after 10@10.

FYI, I get an error message when I try to open their player -- and it's WMP, normally totally compatible with my work PC.
ugh, well, it wasn't meant to be, maybe for a good reason...?

recent songs:

Weavers "Kisses Sweeter Than wine"
Tom Waits "Sea Of Love"
Templars "War On the Streets"
Meteors The Stranglers  - Go Buddy Go (Live)
Slits - FM

it's, uh ... eclectic
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:07:26 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 12:22:32 PM »
TANC: Just tuned in to the archived Idiot's Delight from last weekend over on WFUV.com, and Vin led the set with Todd's Just One Victory. Nice. If anything else of note pops up I'll comment over on the Internet Radio thread for this week, but thought it bore mentioning here 'cuz of the Todd reference.

thanks for the reminder, I always forget to check out Scelsa, and with CGSS gone, I have some listening-hours to fill with something other than WLNG or 'CDX.

ETA: I moved this over from the 10@10 thread; a fab show so far -- Vin's playing Beethoven's "Song of Joy"... in German!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 12:27:39 PM »
TANC: Just tuned in to the archived Idiot's Delight from last weekend over on WFUV.com, and Vin led the set with Todd's Just One Victory. Nice. If anything else of note pops up I'll comment over on the Internet Radio thread for this week, but thought it bore mentioning here 'cuz of the Todd reference.

thanks for the reminder, I always forget to check out Scelsa, and with CGSS gone, I have some listening-hours to fill with something other than WLNG or 'CDX.

ETA: I moved this over from the 10@10 thread; a fab show so far -- Vin's playing Beethoven's "Song of Joy"... in German!

Yikes, that was close. I just posted a bunch of the songs he's played so far, then realized you were listening so deleted the "spoiler." Looks like I'm about half an hour ahead of you.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »

Yikes, that was close. I just posted a bunch of the songs he's played so far, then realized you were listening so deleted the "spoiler." Looks like I'm about half an hour ahead of you.

actually, that woulda been OK -- I went looking for his playlist but apparently he hasn't posted one since early September!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 12:42:38 PM »

actually, that woulda been OK -- I went looking for his playlist but apparently he hasn't posted one since early September!

This is a fan site that has Vin's setlists, but they're a week behind on the FUV show too:
http://www.cherk.com/vin/

Vin just played something that sounded very Airplane-y, but definitely newer. I'm jonesing for the backsell to find out who it was. Followed that with Leonard Cohen's Sail On.

What I posted and then deleted included Jackie Wilson, Michael Franti, Maria Muldaur (a great cover of Yes We Can Can), Johnny Nash, and the Beethoven.

The one frustrating thing about the FUV archive stream is that you can't pull the "seek" bar back to replay a section, although you can pause, which is better than the CG archives.

Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 01:04:02 PM »

Vin just played something that sounded very Airplane-y, but definitely newer. I'm jonesing for the backsell to find out who it was. Followed that with Leonard Cohen's Sail On.

Turned out to be a recent Jefferson Starship release (under Kantner's guidance): Jefferson's Tree of Liberty, and the song was "Wasn't That A Time." Need to look this up. Gaz, can you cast any light on this?
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 01:10:46 PM »

This is one of the songs the Jefferson Starship covered on their new Jefferson's Tree of Liberty.  Paul seemed to be having a lot of fun on it.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »

This is one of the songs the Jefferson Starship covered on their new Jefferson's Tree of Liberty.  Paul seemed to be having a lot of fun on it.

OK, tell me you'd read my two posts directly preceding this one. Otherwise, it's a MAJOR jinx.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 01:15:20 PM »

OK, tell me you'd read my two posts directly preceding this one. Otherwise, it's a MAJOR jinx.

Major jinx it is - I'd not seen your post.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 01:28:58 PM »

Major jinx it is - I'd not seen your post.

And this is my first time hearing this "Wasn't That a Time", JS-style -- and I'm loving it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »
Holy flaming mother of pop (argot)! Scelsa just played a nearly-unrecognizable Southside Johnny, on a new album of big-band-style covers of Tom Waits songs! (I thought it was Dr John or somebody like that.) Beats the heck outta Scarlet Jo, that's fer sure. 

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
Holy flaming mother of pop (argot)! Scelsa just played a nearly-unrecognizable Southside Johnny, on a new album of big-band-style covers of Tom Waits songs! (I thought it was Dr John or somebody like that.) Beats the heck outta Scarlet Jo, that's fer sure. 

Ahem!

Nobody beats the heck out of Scarlett Jo, not while I'm here.

;)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »

Ahem!

Nobody beats the heck out of Scarlett Jo, not while I'm here.

;)

But a lot of guys beat, er, well, you know.    But seriously, that SSJ track blew me away.