Main Discussion Area > Stream of Consciousness

Local (and other) radio news

(1/299) > >>

RGMike:
Well, I think it's pretty big...

My fave local station, Oldies 1510, which I've been singing the praises of here since November, is about to be history.  Which is very sad, they were playing a fine mix of stuff (they're a simulcast of their sister station in LA which I'm hoping will stream one of these days).  The station was sold the other day for a cool 5 mil -- a nice chunk o'change for a low-power AM with a crappy signal.

BUT -- and here's the good part -- the new owners are apparently planning to use 1510 to simulcast KPIG, the GREAT South Bay progressive/alt/freeform station that you can't hear north of San Jose and that charges a yearly subscription for their web stream. Woo Hoo! Set a button on your car radio NOW!

mshray:

--- Quote from: "RGMike" ---Well, I think it's pretty big...

My fave local station, Oldies 1510, which I've been singing the praises of here since November, is about to be history.  Which is very sad, they were playing a fine mix of stuff (they're a simulcast of their sister station in LA which I'm hoping will stream one of these days).  The station was sold the other day for a cool 5 mil -- a nice chunk o'change for a low-power AM with a crappy signal.

BUT -- and here's the good part -- the new owners are apparently planning to use 1510 to simulcast KPIG, the GREAT South Bay progressive/alt/freeform station that you can't hear north of San Jose and that charges a yearly subscription for their web stream. Woo Hoo! Set a button on your car radio NOW!
--- End quote ---

never heard of KPIG, but I should be able to get them in my office, what's their frequency Kenneth?

RGMike:

--- Quote from: "mshray" ---
--- Quote from: "RGMike" ---Well, I think it's pretty big...

--- End quote ---

never heard of KPIG, but I should be able to get them in my office, what's their frequency Kenneth?
--- End quote ---

They're at 107.5; the Bone may drown them out where you are. I think their signal is directional for that reason. But they're pretty terrific.

urth:

--- Quote from: "RGMike" ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Their standard frequency is 107<oink>5 on your FM dial, but you may only be able to get their signal sporadically if at all. They're based in Freedom, CA, down between Santa Cruz and Monterey, and have a teeny tiny transmitter that's held together with scotch tape and old rolling papers. I've never been able to get their signal anywhere outside of the Monterey bay area (and not that well there), unless the wind was right and it was the third Tuesday after a full moon.

However I am PSYCHED that they may be accessible in this part of the world, even via AM. I've got a KPIG sticker proudly displayed by my desk.

Btw, I believe KPIG was the first commercial station ever to stream on the web.

ggould:

--- Quote from: "urth" ---
--- Quote from: "RGMike" ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Their standard frequency is 107<oink>5 on your FM dial, but you may only be able to get their signal sporadically if at all. They're based in Freedom, CA, down between Santa Cruz and Monterey, and have a teeny tiny transmitter that's held together with scotch tape and old rolling papers. I've never been able to get their signal anywhere outside of the Monterey bay area (and not that well there), unless the wind was right and it was the third Tuesday after a full moon.

However I am PSYCHED that they may be accessible in this part of the world, even via AM. I've got a KPIG sticker proudly displayed by my desk.

Btw, I believe KPIG was the first commercial station ever to stream on the web.
--- End quote ---
Great news.  Whenever we travel to Monterey/Santa Cruz, we tune in 107.5 and stay there until we drive out of the area.  They are so eclectic, it's unreal.  Example: On the way north, I heard a song by 3 Twins (related to the Subdudes somehow) play this song called "Look at this day the Lord has made" (or something like that)  This song had the coolest rhythm, but I can't find a copy anywhere!  Too cruel to play cool musice you can't get!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version