Author Topic: KBCO 9/10/08: 1977  (Read 8504 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KBCO 9/10/08: 1977
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »
Ditto on the BOS for Little Feat.  Another Alison, as it contains the line "down of the farm" which is the album title.  I always wondered if this was an LSJUMB favorite for that reason.  Dave? Chriss? Bueller?

Actually OFB is on Time Loves a Hero, which was released in '77. Down on the Farm didn't come out until '79 (Lowell died while it was still being recorded), and it includes a song by the same name. So the Alison tag doesn't apply to OFB, by my understanding.

I think that puts it into a completely unique category then.

Indeed, there is a category of songs that mention the title of a diff LP than the one they're on... I seem to recall a My 3 Songs about that (back in the day), but damned if I can think of an example right now.
The example I always come back to is Culture Club's "Miss Me Blind," which mentions Kissing to Be Clever, the title of their previous album.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KBCO 9/10/08: 1977
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 09:07:06 AM »
Ditto on the BOS for Little Feat.  Another Alison, as it contains the line "down of the farm" which is the album title.  I always wondered if this was an LSJUMB favorite for that reason.  Dave? Chriss? Bueller?

Actually OFB is on Time Loves a Hero, which was released in '77. Down on the Farm didn't come out until '79 (Lowell died while it was still being recorded), and it includes a song by the same name. So the Alison tag doesn't apply to OFB, by my understanding.

I think that puts it into a completely unique category then.

Indeed, there is a category of songs that mention the title of a diff LP than the one they're on... I seem to recall a My 3 Songs about that (back in the day), but damned if I can think of an example right now.
The example I always come back to is Culture Club's "Miss Me Blind," which mentions Kissing to Be Clever, the title of their previous album.

Jimmy Buffet's song "Nautical Wheelers" includes the lyric 'living and dying in 3/4 time' which was also the title of the previous album. Wasn't there a thread, Gaz, on your ILM that you linked to on this?  I seem to recall that most of the Pixies album titles fell into this category.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010