Author Topic: RIP Dr. Don Rose  (Read 3938 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Dr. Don Rose
« on: April 01, 2005, 09:47:16 AM »
He was the the best-known voice on AM radio here in the bay area in the 70s. The last of an era, he was all about corny jokes and noise and laughter and sound effects and numerous fictional characters--the antithesis of what radio personalities are today. I caught a short bit of Dave and the Morning show gang talking about him yesterday morning, and I was told that KFRC was playing clips of his bits all day yesterday. Hope they're keeping it up today, as I didn't get to listen yesterday.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/04/01/BAGLHC1M8N1.DTL
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Dr. Don Rose
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:49:10 AM »
thanks, i was gonna post that yesterday but it seems like most of us here are non-natives.

I know him from the "Cruisin'" series of LPs that recreated different years in Top 40 history. He was on the 1967 edition, worth seeking out.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: RIP Dr. Don Rose
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 09:49:25 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
He was the the best-known voice on AM radio here in the bay area in the 70s. The last of an era, he was all about corny jokes and noise and laughter and sound effects and numerous fictional characters--the antithesis of what radio personalities are today. I caught a short bit of Dave and the Morning show gang talking about him yesterday morning, and I was told that KFRC was playing clips of his bits all day yesterday. Hope they're keeping it up today, as I didn't get to listen yesterday.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/04/01/BAGLHC1M8N1.DTL
Yes indeed, he was a force of nature on the radio.  I remember him well.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Dr. Don Rose
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 09:56:09 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
thanks, i was gonna post that yesterday but it seems like most of us here are non-natives.

I know him from the "Cruisin'" series of LPs that recreated different years in Top 40 history. He was on the 1967 edition, worth seeking out.

It occurred to me that only a few of us grew up within range of KFRC's signal, but I would imagine Geoff and Alicat were familiar with him, and maybe Beej too. And Rod--did you grow up in the area?
Let's get right to it.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
RIP Dr. Don Rose
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 09:59:45 AM »
I remember Dr Don. R.I.P you crazy DJ.
nakes? On my plane?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Dr. Don Rose
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 09:36:26 AM »
I just heard about it this morning on the morning news. I remember him and KFRC well. Mid 70's. I took Muni to the station office (not sure why) and met Dr. Don. I remember seeing towers of 8 tracks. Must have been like WKRP.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
RIP Dr. Don Rose
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 11:00:49 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"

It occurred to me that only a few of us grew up within range of KFRC's signal, but I would imagine Geoff and Alicat were familiar with him, and maybe Beej too. And Rod--did you grow up in the area?

Yes, I remember him.  Didn't much like him, but he was popular.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing