Author Topic: Oscar Noms  (Read 10116 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Oscar Noms
« on: January 25, 2005, 07:49:50 AM »
for those who care:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/a/2005/01/25/entertainment0843EST0513.DTL

My 2 cents: most overrated nominee: "Finding Neverland". Sadly snubbed: Liam Neeson  and Paul Giamatti.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Oscar Noms
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 08:05:17 AM »
And for an opposing viewpoint: The Razzie nominations...

http://www.razzies.com/asp/directory/25thNoms.htm

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Oscar Noms
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:06:10 AM »
The big surprise to me was that Passion of the Christ and Fahrenheit 9/11 were both ignored in the major categories.  Of course, I'm wholly unfamiliar with the films that scored all the noms (would have liked to see Kinsey, though).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Oscar Noms
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 08:43:26 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
The big surprise to me was that Passion of the Christ and Fahrenheit 9/11 were both ignored in the major categories.  

Passion wasn't expected to get anything major, but the craft unions are a bit more blue-collar (and thus more conservative) and so technical noms (it got 3) were no surprise.

Fahrenheit, a docu that wasn't in the docu running because Moore didn't submit it in that category, was only eligible (I think) for Pic & Director. And Hollywood has kinda moved on at this point.

Kinsey is still around and well worth seeing; it is far more deserving of noms than Neverland, IMHO.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Oscar Noms
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 08:49:34 AM »
As usual- I haven't seen a goddamned thing Oscar-nom'd movie-wise.

Well, except for the first 2/3rds of a pirated Incredibles. That was cool.

So, I hope it wins.
nakes? On my plane?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Oscar Noms
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 09:01:50 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
for those who care:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/a/2005/01/25/entertainment0843EST0513.DTL

my wishes/guesses:

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Jamie Foxx in “Ray” (Universal)

Performance by an actress in a leading role

Catalina Sandino Moreno in “Maria Full of Grace” (HBO Films in association with Fine Line Features)

Achievement in cinematography

“A Very Long Engagement” (Warner Independent Pictures)
Bruno Delbonnel

Best motion picture of the year

“The Aviator” (Miramax, Initial Entertainment Group and Warner Bros.)
A Forward Pass/Appian Way /IMF Production
Nominees are still to be determined.

Adapted screenplay

“Sideways” (Fox Searchlight/20th Century Fox)
Screenplay by Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
oscar!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 09:38:06 AM »
F9/11 couldn't get out of the notoriously incestuous documentary branch because they know that if put to the vote of the wider (read: more liberal) academy it would win & they really don't want to see Michael Moore give an acceptance speach aever again.  But that means Super Size Me has a great shot, so it's okay with me.

Hard to believe Paul Giamatti got overlooked for best actor after all that, but I guess the academy likes the idea of balancing the former-teen-hearthrob ticket with Johnny Depp better than the idea of journeyman-character-actor-shines-in-indy-critic-fave.  I hope Don Cheadle wins anyway (yeah, like that's gonna happen).

It says here that Scorsese & Bening get revenge for past snubs, with the only-in-Hollywood kicker of Bening & Swank reversing the outcome of their face-off from Boys Don't Cry & American Beauty.

I sure hope The Incredibles beats out Shrek 2.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: oscar!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 09:51:02 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
F9/11 couldn't get out of the notoriously incestuous documentary branch because they know that if put to the vote of the wider (read: more liberal) academy it would win & they really don't want to see Michael Moore give an acceptance speach aever again.

F9/11 wasn't eligible for best docu becuase Moore didn't submit it in that category -- he had hoped to get it aired on national TV before the election, which would then have disqualified it (the docu category has different rules about that than regular films do, apparently).  Of course it didn't get shown on TV, but that was his reasoning.  And docus don't traditionally get Best Picture noms; that was a long-long-shot at best.

But you're right, the docu branch is quite inbred -- they've tried to open it up the past few years, but one probelm is getting people to actually watch all the eligible docus -- you're required to see 'em to vote in this category. So alot of (older, more conservative) retirees with lots of free time volunteer to screen docus every year.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Oscar Noms
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 10:01:44 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
for those who care:
 Sadly snubbed: Liam Neeson  and Paul Giamatti.

I was surprised when I read that Paul Giamatti is the son of A. Barlett Giamatti, who was the president of Yale University, and served as the commissioner of baseball for a short time (less than a year I think) before his death.

Did they just say 86 or 96?
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
mshray
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 10:11:40 AM »
A. Bartlett was comish for only 5 months.  He personally banned Pete Rose, and after he unceremoniously croaked the ban took on a an 'etched-in-stone' quality that he could probably have never given it otherwise.  It was almost like he said, "Pete Rose gets in over my dead body," and then actually backed it up!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: mshray
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 10:17:14 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
A. Bartlett was comish for only 5 months.  He personally banned Pete Rose, and after he unceremoniously croaked the ban took on a an 'etched-in-stone' quality that he could probably have never given it otherwise.  It was almost like he said, "Pete Rose gets in over my dead body," and then actually backed it up!

I was working with Howard Cosell the day that Giamatti died.  They were good friends, and Cosell loved the fact that the baseball commish had come from academia rather than from what Howard called "the jock-ocracy".   I never saw Cosell so emotionally affected by anything -- he was very broken up.