Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 4/21/08  (Read 4320 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 4/21/08
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 03:50:24 PM »
New to me: Inez & Charlie Foxx (of "Mockingbird" fame), "If You Don't Believe I'm Leavin' (Just Count The Days I'm Gone)".

and now, several hours later, here's Patti Labelle & the Bluebells with their version of same.  This has been a fine afternoon of Soul -- nearly as good as the late lamented VIP Radio.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 11:33:23 AM »
Sweeney's CG replacement, Mr Coyte, doing a fine job: Albert Hammond's "Free Electric Band" and 10cc's "Art For Art's Sake".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 02:57:55 PM »
Wow, Greg on CGSS plays one of my fave forgotten late-'80s hits, Calloway's "I Wanna Be Rich". It actually peaked in early '90, iirc -- would've been a better bustout for Dave yesterday than that Nelson song.

and he follows it with R Dean Taylor's fab it-shoulda-been-the-Tops "Ghost in my House". 

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 03:17:31 PM »
"Aquarius... and mah name is Charles. I like a woman... who's quiet... who carries herself like Miss Universe... so I can wear all her clothes..."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 10:48:16 AM »
Obscurity of the Month: last nite on KPOO, JJ played Carolyn Crawford's "My Smile Is Just a Frown (Turned Upside Down)", a minor hit on Motown in '65 and her only Motown hit.  New to me, it's a Smokey Robinson comp, not unlike the stuff Mary Wells was doing at the time. What's interesting is that the lyric includes the lines

"Just Like Pagliacci did
I try to keep my sadness hid"

!!!! -- I nearly fell out of bed when I heard that last nite! Smokey, of course, recycled that couplet a few years later for his own "Tears of a Clown".  Live'n'learn!