Author Topic: Alicat at high speed  (Read 7317 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Alicat at high speed
« on: January 24, 2005, 10:43:36 PM »
Successfully connected to DSL tonight, at home. Will try wireless router tomorrow or by end of week. I never realized how truly slow it was. Now I can try downloading music and all things I have missed out on. Like Cucumber man says, Whoooosh!

Work has kind of sucked so my forum use has been limited. I have been hesitant to stay signed in as I don't know if the system admin can tell or not. I don't want to raise questions. Rod? Can they tell?
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Alicat at high speed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 11:26:03 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Successfully connected to DSL tonight, at home. Will try wireless router tomorrow or by end of week. I never realized how truly slow it was. Now I can try downloading music and all things I have missed out on. Like Cucumber man says, Whoooosh!

Work has kind of sucked so my forum use has been limited. I have been hesitant to stay signed in as I don't know if the system admin can tell or not. I don't want to raise questions. Rod? Can they tell?

As a general rule, workers don't have privacy rights as far as their computer use is concerned.  Your employer certainly could be monitoring your use, but maybe doesn't have the time or energy to do it.  Rod will know better.  Congrats on the DSL.  Have you hooked up your G4 yet to it?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Alicat at high speed
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:49:12 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Alicat"

As a general rule, workers don't have privacy rights as far as their computer use is concerned.  Your employer certainly could be monitoring your use, but maybe doesn't have the time or energy to do it.  Rod will know better.  Congrats on the DSL.  Have you hooked up your G4 yet to it?

Haven't had time to touch the mac yet. Need to get another power strip.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Alicat at high speed
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 09:41:23 AM »
I have been hesitant to stay signed in as I don't know if the system admin can tell or not. I don't want to raise questions. Rod? Can they tell?

I don't think it matters whether you are signed in or not.  If the web page is open, they can figure that out.  If they see that, then decide to find out what goes on over here, they can just access the site.  If they see you've made 48 posts from 10 to 10:15, you might be in trouble.

As Geoff points out, they can track what you are doing, if they have the time and inclination.  Some do, some don't.

What I do here is have the club log me in automatically.  I close my browser and come back, so I'm not usually online for long periods.  Not that I think that would fool anyone, but I know for a fact that we don't have the resources to track me.  After all, I'd probably be given that job if anyone was.

All of which reminds me of 1984 --
"It's behind the picture."  "Yes, it's behind the picture."
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing