Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385934 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1050 on: March 07, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »
Shucks: just missed a chance to hear "Remember Me" again; it and 6 other songs drop out this week.

I find this an interesting bit of chart trivia: of the 7 songs that fell out of the 40 that week, only 2 remained on the Hot 100 -- the BeeGees' "Lonely Days" and Como's "It's Impossible". The other 5 (including Diana, the 5-D's "One Less Bell...", "Stoney End", "My Sweet Lord", and  EJ's "Your Song") dropped off completely!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 07, 2009, 07:22:23 PM »
Covering Marvin & Tammi is a dicey proposition; Ree-Ree sorta pulls it off but this is one of her lesser moments, IMHO.

However, Jackie Moore's "Precious Precious" is a lost gem; I'd never heard it until I moved to SF -- it was a favorite at the late lamented KDIA. Ms Moore's only Top 40 single; she'd make a semi-comeback at the end of the decade with the dance club fave "This Time Baby" in '79.

Oh lord here's that "DOA" thing by Bloodrock. This single is an edit of a much longer LP cut, BTW. And even this version seems endless. What Top 40 station in '71 would've played this? Yikes.

Amusing to hear Casey pondering the new-to-Americans-yet-a-UK-chart-veteran, Cat Stevens.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:24:59 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 07, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
Anyone else notice Casey promo the track "from the #1 LP of the Week, the most unconventional prayer I've ever heard" ... it was Janis doing "Mercedes Benz". A cut from the #1 LP was a weekly feature in the early days of the show; it disappeared by the end of '71 iirc, and this is the first time I've heard it pop up on one of these remastered shows.

Speaking of "unconventional prayers", Judy Collins' "Amazing Grace" always sounded strange on Top 40 radio.

Holy crap! this commercial for "Paul Frees and the Poster People" is NTM. Frees was a famous cartoon voice guy (Boris Badenov and many others) and he apparently did an LP of then-current songs using various celebrity voices. Weird stuff.

SFGuy

« Reply #1053 on: March 08, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »
The thing I like about any of these shows is when Casey gives answers people's questions like the most #1 by a female or the highest debut for a song. Then go forward after that show and figure out when (if, sometimes it doesn't change) an artist does those things.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 08, 2009, 06:07:19 AM »
Casey's '80s is March 3, 1984.  After Culture Club debut on the Hot 100 at #40 with the infectious "Miss Me Blind," we have an I Didn't Know That! moment at #39: that's Tom Petty singing with Dwight Twilley on "Girls."  Now that Casey says it, I can totally hear it.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 08, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »
Less than an hour after Casey played "Sweet Mary" by Wadsworth Mansion this morning, True Oldies Channel (which is doing songs with girl's names all weekend) played it again. So you could say I got my, uh, wad's worth.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 08, 2009, 08:36:34 PM »
Less than an hour after Casey played "Sweet Mary" by Wadsworth Mansion this morning, True Oldies Channel (which is doing songs with girl's names all weekend) played it again. So you could say I got my, uh, wad's worth.

Well played.  As for Sweet Mary Cheney: Man? Shun!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 12, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »
This weekend (3/14-15) Casey70's does March 18, 1972.  The Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/3548497.pdf

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 13, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »
This weekend (3/14-15) Casey70's does March 18, 1972.  The Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/3548497.pdf

Wow wow wow. Fab forgotten stuff. These early-'70s charts really are the best. The English Congregation RULES!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 14, 2009, 07:21:59 AM »
The Temptations and Dennis Coffey tracks were new to me.  Don't think I'll seek either out again anytime soon.

But big ol' BOS to the aforementioned English Congregation, how I adore the declamatory "Softly Whispering I Love You."

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 14, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Don MacLean's American Pie (8:33) broke a three year old record for the longest running time for a number one song, beating Hey Jude (7:05) which hit #1 in 1968. This is probably the last week Amer Pie will be in the AT40, so Casey plays the loooong version, acknowledging that they usually just play the commercial radio edit because "well, we just wouldn't have time" time to cover the entire Top 40 if they played the real versions. 

yay!
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 14, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
I suppose Beverly Bremers is one of the reasons Mike's looking forward to this one.  But me, I gotta give a BOS vote to the Dramatics' "In the Rain."  Love the production touches.

And a VHM to Joe Tex's "I Gotcha," later covered by Sophie B. Hawkins.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 14, 2009, 09:07:08 AM »
Carpenters' "Hurting Each Other" is going nicely with my recent Saturday a.m. ritual: a bowl hit, followed by a few big gulps of Monster Mean Bean coffee, then a bowl of strawberries and bananas.  I love Saturdays.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 14, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »
Ay, que fievre!

But it's pronounced CHA-ka-CHAS?  I'd always thought it was pronounced cha-KA-chas.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 14, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »
WOS to Donny Osmond, on top of his brothers with "Puppy Love." His karaoke career bores me for the most part.