Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1386058 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #705 on: November 08, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »
Ahh, I missed most of the countdown as I met a friend who's in town from London.  Here for "Indiana Wants Me" at #5.  This was a 3WS favorite, and I too loved its melodrama.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 08, 2008, 09:41:10 AM »
Sometime in late 1996 or early 1997, when I was still new to SF, I heard about (probably through the Bay Guardian, which I immediately became a fan of, though I read the SF Weekly too) auditions for a campy musical whose title was some mix of "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "Rocky Horror PIcture Show," I forget the exact riff.  Anyway, I went - not so much because I wanted to be in it, but because I wanted to meet the kind of people who would want to be in it.  So we were asked to bring something to lip-synch to as our audition.  I, embarrassingly, chose the rap section of "Rapture."  But I dearly remember a guy with an exact Henry Rollins build who performed "I Think I Love You" with a blow-up doll.  Ah, memories.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 08, 2008, 09:47:15 AM »
They just played that damn Mike Love clip again.  I mean, the exasperated tone he takes with "Bri-an ..." drives me up a damn wall.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 08, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
OK, going from the bonus track "Immigrant Song" into "We've Only Just Begun" is about as extreme as it gets in Top 40-ville.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 08, 2008, 09:51:19 AM »
They just played that damn Mike Love clip again.  I mean, the exasperated tone he takes with "Bri-an ..." drives me up a damn wall.

"... that was my contribution.  And some of the lyrics, as well.  Also, I'm an ass."
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 08, 2008, 09:51:35 AM »
Re #4, I ran into David Cassidy around '91, actually he ran into me (literally).  I was browsing books by top of escalator at SF bookstore when he came up the escalator, playfully hid behind me for a minute so throng of crazed lady fans at front of store might not see him, before emerging to walk to table for a book signing.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:56:18 AM by Wayback »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 08, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »
"He has a twelve foot yacht!" 

Gaz contemplates: 12-foot yacht or long black limousine?  Hmm...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 08, 2008, 09:53:45 AM »
I always thought the line was "a kiss for LUCK, and we're on our way."  Casey says it's "a kiss for LOVE."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 08, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »
I just went back into my online buffer

Is this buffer app available for PCs?  I can't remember what thread you discussed it on - can you refresh me on any deets?  Mthx!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 08, 2008, 09:59:59 AM »
OK, going from "Immigrant Song" into "We've Only Just Begun" is about as extreme as it gets in Top 40-ville.
Yeah, isn't it great!  ;D

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 08, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »

Is this buffer app available for PCs?  I can't remember what thread you discussed it on - can you refresh me on any deets?  Mthx!
dunno about PC.  I'm on a Mac and I think it's my QT plugin called Flip4Mac that comes into play when I hear a KFOG stream: it handles wmv or aspx streams with a online browser player that has a scroll bar, so I can scroll around back and forth to hear this or that.  I don't have full knowledge  over how to configure it, though. It was a pleasant surprise when I first discovered this buffering thing. Do a google search for tips, yo!

When I go the Chico station (chicooldies.com) to "listen live" to at40, my firefox browser starts a separate popup window for the player, but this also has a scroll bar.  Unfortunately, the Chico station kicks you off after two hours of streaming (the stream cannot be stopped, it just goes on..  but after being booted you can get right back on).  So I can't go back and listen to the early part after two hours have passed.
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 08, 2008, 10:23:16 AM »
dunno about PC.  I'm on a Mac and I think it's my QT plugin called Flip4Mac that comes into play when I hear a KFOG stream: it handles wmv or aspx streams with a online browser player that has a scroll bar, so I can scroll around back and forth to hear this or that.  I don't have full knowledge  over how to configure it, though. It was a pleasant surprise when I first discovered this buffering thing. Do a google search for tips, yo!
When I go the Chico station (chicooldies.com) to "listen live" to at40, my firefox browser starts a separate popup window for the player, but this also has a scroll bar.  Unfortunately, the Chico station kicks you off after two hours of streaming (the stream cannot be stopped, it just goes on..  but after being booted you can get right back on).  So I can't go back and listen to the early part after two hours have passed.
Thx for the buffering info, will have to investigate if it works on PC.  Yes, at two hour mark I get a pop up msg in the player saying "You've reached two hour max, click if you'd like to keep listening" which when I do doesn't interrupt stream at that point.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 08, 2008, 10:41:38 AM »
"He has a twelve foot yacht!" 
Gaz contemplates: 12-foot yacht or long black limousine?  Hmm...
12-ft is a pretty short limo, especially by 1970 car lengths!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.  So to speak.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 08, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »
I just went back into my online buffer and listened to a few tunes I wasn't familiar with:

32 “AS THE YEARS GO BY” – Mashmakhan - this one is interesting, it's infused w a definite and insistent polka feel for most of it (the chirpy organ, the sing-songy sound) and I hear Eastern European influences, too. Then it gets pretty rocking with a riff to give the kids something heavier to ponder musically.  And speaking of something heavy, the lyrics are really good & insightful. An excerpt:

Now you're asking me if I love you
And it really means will I marry you
And I answer yes I love you
But it really means that I won't be untrue

That one's a Morey fave, he's played it a number of times over the years, and I've always said that it seems to me to have been a clear influence on Fastball's "The Way".

I did find another station whose player actually works here at home: a Boise, Idaho station that plays the show on Sun morning (8-11 PST), so I'll catch up tomorrow (I'll be at the Sharks game tonite). 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:07:36 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 08, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »
is it me, or did Casey get a little fun-kay when he back announced Candi Stanton by calling it "Stand By YO man?" 

Haha, I noticed it in a replay tonight!  Loves it.