Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385641 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #690 on: November 07, 2008, 09:07:10 AM »
This weekend (11/8-9) Casey70's visits Nov 14, 1970.  Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/3213889.pdf
Damn -- Mashmakan! Teegarden & Van Winkle! Candi Staten Island's fab cover of "Stand By Your Man"!  I'm probably gonna miss this one, won't be home Sat nite.  But could you post the URL for that Chico station? -- I'll try (probably in vain) to get their player to work on my ancient home computer (I think I tried once before to no avail).
Here 'tis: http://www.chicooldies.com, Sat's 7-10am PT. 
Thanks -- I've tried a number of those stations and sadly the "newfangled" players won't work at home with dial-up. I suspect this Chico player won't either.
ETA: I can't even get it to work here at the office (!?) so I'm sure trying it at home is pointless.
UPDATE: I've tried several diff stations who use a "Liquid Compass" player to stream and none of them work here at the office -- odd, no? We're up-to-date with the latest versions of Windows. Flash, etc and yet I get no sound from these players after the initial local commercial video plays.
Hmmm, and you get KFOG okay?  Did you try all AT40 stations that use other types of streamers?  Perhaps your work has their PCs set so folks can't stream??

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 07, 2008, 09:18:29 AM »
This weekend (11/8-9) Casey70's visits Nov 14, 1970.  Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/3213889.pdf
Damn -- Mashmakan! Teegarden & Van Winkle! Candi Staten Island's fab cover of "Stand By Your Man"!  I'm probably gonna miss this one, won't be home Sat nite.  But could you post the URL for that Chico station? -- I'll try (probably in vain) to get their player to work on my ancient home computer (I think I tried once before to no avail).
Here 'tis: http://www.chicooldies.com, Sat's 7-10am PT. 
Thanks -- I've tried a number of those stations and sadly the "newfangled" players won't work at home with dial-up. I suspect this Chico player won't either.
ETA: I can't even get it to work here at the office (!?) so I'm sure trying it at home is pointless.
UPDATE: I've tried several diff stations who use a "Liquid Compass" player to stream and none of them work here at the office -- odd, no? We're up-to-date with the latest versions of Windows. Flash, etc and yet I get no sound from these players after the initial local commercial video plays.
Hmmm, and you get KFOG okay?  Did you try all AT40 stations that use other types of streamers?  Perhaps your work has their PCs set so folks can't stream??

No, all sorts of players work here at the office ... except Liquid Compass. No idea why.  (at home almost nothing works but that's because (a) my home PC is 10 years old and (b) I still have dial-up)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 08, 2008, 07:35:36 AM »
'Morning gentlemen, I tuned in at #36, "God, Love & Rock & Roll," a song I don't remember.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 08, 2008, 07:38:19 AM »
Check out what Casey says to introduce Clapton's "After Midnight" (#35):

"If you dig the proverb that a man is known by the company he keeps, then you're going to find this next artist very heavy."     Then he lists Clapton's music pedigree, etc...  So awesomely dated, I love it!

I love the early part of the AT40 shows, because often you'll hear things that just slipped into the charts and then fell back out, so they're hardly ever in heavy rotation in those "oldies" stations (that still exist).   My knowledge of pop from this date is pretty limited, so there's a lot of things that aren't that familiar.

good stuff!
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 08, 2008, 07:45:50 AM »
Check out what Casey says to introduce Clapton's "After Midnight" (#35):
"If you dig the proverb that a man is known by the company he keeps, then you're going to find this next artist very heavy."  Then he lists Clapton's music pedigree, etc...  So awesomely dated, I love it!
I love the early part of the AT40 shows, because often you'll hear things that just slipped into the charts and then fell back out, so they're hardly ever in heavy rotation in those "oldies" stations (that still exist).   My knowledge of pop from this date is pretty limited, so there's a lot of things that aren't that familiar.  good stuff!
Yes, my sentiments exactly.  I've deepened my knowledge of hits from certain years listening this past year to these AT40 replays, plus 10at10 since moving out here in Jan 1989.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 08, 2008, 07:55:34 AM »
'Morning gentlemen, I tuned in at #36, "God, Love & Rock & Roll," a song I don't remember.

Hi Wayback -  so you debuted at Number 36 this week...? nice.  You got here just in time for this block of staple tunes:
#35 “AFTER MIDNIGHT” – Eric Clapton
#34 “OUR HOUSE” – Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
#33 “EL CONDOR PASA” – Simon & Garfunkel

.. but I loved the Presidents' 5-10-15-20!  and the honky-tonk chanson of the New Seekers was unique but a little grating. I can see why it's on the way out.

The Guess Who's "Share The Wealth Land" is another gospel-tinged song I've noted.  The other is where you came in ( “GOD, LOVE & ROCK & ROLL” – Teegarden & Van Winkle) where you came in.

~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 08, 2008, 08:01:45 AM »
funny, the "extra" song by Dodie Stevens mentions how impressed she is with her boyfriend who sports "Tan Shoes & Pink Shoelaces" -- She sings "He has a twelve foot yacht!" 

hubba-hubba, Sugar Daddy!
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 08, 2008, 08:12:26 AM »
Hi Wayback -  so you debuted at Number 36 this week...? nice.  You got here just in time for this block of staple tunes:
#35 “AFTER MIDNIGHT” – Eric Clapton
#34 “OUR HOUSE” – Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
#33 “EL CONDOR PASA” – Simon & Garfunkel
.. but I loved the Presidents' 5-10-15-20!  and the honky-tonk chanson of the New Seekers was unique but a little grating. I can see why it's on the way out. The Guess Who's "Share The Wealth Land" is another gospel-tinged song I've noted. 
On this chart I don't recall hearing back in the day #36, 32, 30, 27, 21, and since I came in at #36 today, I can't recall how #38-40 sound.  Then again, that's why we listen to these replays!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 08, 2008, 08:18:38 AM »
I'm listening to AT40 thru my PC and have an ear on the 10at10 replays from my stereo.  I notice on KFOG's 10at10 page that the intern didn't post yesterday's 1969 set.  Just cuz Dave's leaving doesn't mean they can get lazy!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 08, 2008, 08:18:52 AM »
is it me, or did Casey get a little fun-kay when he back announced Candi Stanton by calling it "Stand By YO man?"  and then he intro'd Charles Wright tune by saying "Express YO-self?"

did anyone catch that?  ponderous, man...
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 08, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
is it me, or did Casey get a little fun-kay when he back announced Candi Stanton by calling it "Stand By YO man?"  and then he intro'd Charles Wright tune by saying "Express YO-self?"
did anyone catch that?  ponderous, man...
Yes, I've noticed Casey sometimes tries to be hip or gets overly excited (especially in '70-71 shows) which sounds funny compared to his regular style. In a 1970 replay from Sept, he sounded like a wild TOP 40 DJ with "Here's Free and ALL RIGHT NOW!"
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:32:36 AM by Wayback »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 08, 2008, 08:34:23 AM »
Re #19, I'll never forget seeing Wilson Pickett up close at the famous Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ, around 1988.  The Wicked Pickett was cookin'!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 08, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »
Brian Hyland's big hit ten years before #9 "Gypsy Woman" was "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"!  Also "Sealed With A Kiss" in '62.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 08, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »
Smokey & Miracles "Tears Of A Clown" and earlier this week we heard The English Beat's version in a 1980 10at10.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 08, 2008, 09:32:17 AM »
I just went back into my online buffer and listened to a few tunes I wasn't familiar with:

#39 “I AM SOMEBODY, PART II” – Johnnie Taylor - Great socially conscious soul

#36 “GOD, LOVE & ROCK & ROLL” – Teegarden & Van Winkle

#32 “AS THE YEARS GO BY” – Mashmakhan - this one is interesting, it's infused w a definite and insistent polka feel for most of it (the chirpy organ, the sing-songy sound) and I hear Eastern European influences, too. Then it gets pretty rocking with a riff to give the kids something heavier to ponder musically.  And speaking of something heavy, the lyrics are really good & insightful. An excerpt:

Now you're asking me if I love you
And it really means will I marry you
And I answer yes I love you
But it really means that I won't be untrue

how true!  oh, the game we play.

#30 “5-10-15-20 (25-30 YEARS OF LOVE)” – Presidents - liked this one, too.
#29 “LOOK WHAT THEY’VE DONE TO MY SONG MA” – New Seekers - I do know this one, of course. The honky tonk piano, the French Edith Piaf-y section, and that annoying hook, make me realize why this was on the way out this week -- although I don't know how high it charted.

------------------
there are a few others, but I have to write this while I can recall it:

Casey intros Bread's "It Don't Matter To Me" by saying some interesting things:

"This is probably the most non-uptight love song in the countdown... the singer's attitude toward the girl is totally non-possessive, really loose... "  (he must be referring to "As The Years Go By" by Mashmakhan.

Free love, baby!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:36:28 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~