Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385654 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #480 on: October 11, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »
Apparently today KFRC is doing a "Casey Kasem Amer Top 40" marathon, currently in the middle of a replay from July 17, 1976!

OMFG! That's great! Thanks, Wayback!

And now we're into Feb 24th 1973! The Tops sing about the One-Eyed Gott, America debates "row" vs. "wade" in "Don't Cross the River", and Casey gushes over the first hit by David "boo-ee", "Space Oddity".

Chart oddity: Austin Roberts is at #60 with the orig flop version of "Keep On Singin'", which Helen Reddy would later re-do. But Lawd! Barbara Mason with Curtis Mayfield's fab "Give Me Your Love", a forgotten hit from Superfly.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 12:38:24 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 11, 2008, 05:12:05 PM »
Feb '73 was followed by July 22, 1978. We're in the last hour; at #12 Miss BonnieTyler says "it ain't wite" to need someone. As much as I depended on. You.

Oddly there is no mention of this Kasemarathon on KFRC's website -- why do something like this and not tell anybody?   If memory serves, this weekend is the one-year anniv of when they started running the show.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 06:13:53 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 11, 2008, 06:12:50 PM »
after 1978 ("Shadow Dancing" at #1 for the 6th week) we get a Sept '74 show we just heard last month. The Gaz-man would be testifyin' if he could hear Carole King sing to her bra!

Since this is so recent, I'll bail to hear the '72 set on Magic 98 at 7:00; I assume KFRC is repeating that same show at 9, but I could be wrong.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 11, 2008, 07:17:54 PM »
My first time hearing those David Cassidy ("Rock Me Baby") and Michael Murphy ("Geronimo's Cadillac") tracks.  And, I hope, my last.  Yikes.

"Geronimo's Cadillac"? Really? I'm surprised -- a lost classic (from before Murphy "went country") about the mistreatment of Native Americans. Hardly a song to hate. The Cassidy I don't remember at all; I'll get back to you after I hear it tonite.

Well, I do concur about the Cassidy ("some raw rock'n'roll" sez Casey -- what was he smoking that day?).  Guess that's why I didn't remember it.  And I guess I can see how the Michael Murphy vocal might be off-putting. Still, a "very important record in its time" as Dave would say. And it's been covered by a number of folks.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 11, 2008, 07:30:49 PM »
Ms Reddy spreads her lovin', er, arms across the land. Casey calls it "the first women's lib song to chart". And of course there were so many others after it... like... um...

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 11, 2008, 07:38:29 PM »
I had no recollection of that Sam Neeley song either; but I kinda liked -- it was rather Kristofferson-esque. Not much of a career; 3 diff labels in 5 years and only one other Top 40 appearance.

And after hearing Mac Davis twice in the first hour of that '74 set over on KFRC, here's Gallery covering his "I Believe in Music", featuring the cheeziest synthesizer this side of Nu Shooz (but hey, at least synths were relatively new in '72).  Followed by the 5th D's gorgeous "If I Could Reach You" -- BOS.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:15:03 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 11, 2008, 09:08:21 PM »
I'll bail to hear the '72 set on Magic 98 at 7:00; I assume KFRC is repeating that same show at 9, but I could be wrong.

And indeed, I am wrong: KFRC is giving us the 1970 set we heard recently -- but the first half of that one is more interesting than 1972's Top 10, so I'll switch over for another opportunity to hear "Rubber Duckie" and "Sex Machine", among others (I've heard JB 3 times today in various early-'70s sets).  Casey's delivery was so much faster and gruffer in 1970!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:11:15 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 12, 2008, 05:58:07 AM »
My first time hearing those David Cassidy ("Rock Me Baby") and Michael Murphy ("Geronimo's Cadillac") tracks.  And, I hope, my last.  Yikes.

"Geronimo's Cadillac"? Really? I'm surprised -- a lost classic (from before Murphy "went country") about the mistreatment of Native Americans. Hardly a song to hate. The Cassidy I don't remember at all; I'll get back to you after I hear it tonite.

Well, I do concur about the Cassidy ("some raw rock'n'roll" sez Casey -- what was he smoking that day?).  Guess that's why I didn't remember it.  And I guess I can see how the Michael Murphy vocal might be off-putting. Still, a "very important record in its time" as Dave would say. And it's been covered by a number of folks.

Heh, the vocal put me off so much that I didn't even notice the lyrics.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 12, 2008, 06:09:38 AM »
Casey's '80s take on Oct. 17, 1981.  Songs that peak at #40 are almost as interesting to me as songs that peak at #41, and here's Blue Oyster Cult spending their third week at the anchor with "Burnin' for You."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 12, 2008, 06:38:09 AM »
A NTM Beach Boys medley, presumably inspired by "Stars on 45," falls from 12 to 34.  Not terribly well done.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 12, 2008, 06:46:21 AM »
The Bee Gees' "He's a Liar" is an utter train wreck at 32.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 12, 2008, 07:07:36 AM »
At 29, one I haven't heard in many years: Marty Balin's "Hearts" follow-up, "Atlanta Lady (Something About Your Love)."  Of its time and pretty forgettable.  I hope its video wasn't as icky as the one for "Hearts."

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 12, 2008, 07:16:06 AM »
Sunday 7am PT KFRC rejoined the weekend Casey70's Marathon with June 8, 1974 for the last two hours of that show, starting at #26 Elton "Bennie & the Jets."  Coming up at #20, Anne Murray covers the Beatles.
http://kfrc.com/pages/3104995.php?contentType=33&contentId=57053
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 07:25:23 AM by Wayback »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 12, 2008, 08:11:18 AM »
Mike: "Hill Street Blues" theme at #21!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 12, 2008, 08:13:23 AM »
Jarreau Hands are in this love together at 19!