Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385739 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #375 on: August 30, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »
Carole King sings to her bra! And the Gaz-man's testifyin'.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 30, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »
Mac Davis is a guilty pleasure at #38 with "One Hell of a Woman." 

"guilty" because you realize what an embarassingly awful lyric it is?  Tom Jones and Paul Anka could almost be forgiven for "She's a Lady" in '71, but sheesh, this makes "Behind Closed Doors" seem like a feminist anthem.  Of course, this *was* the year of "You're Having My Baby"...

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 30, 2008, 07:58:40 PM »
Giddy-up! Giddy-up! Hi-ho Tower of Power!  VHM "Don't Change Horses...", and Casey got their city-of-origin right this time!

of course, if you change horses in the middle of the stream, you could end up with a wet willie.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:00:34 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 30, 2008, 08:45:56 PM »
WOS: Fancy, at #25, with "Wild Thing."  I don't have the stomach.

I surely had not heard that one since '74; it got zero airplay in NYC yet still managed to peak at #14 nationally. Indeed, a pretty worthless cover.

OTOH, Blue Swede's "Never My Love" was a nice flashback, a completely forgotten Top 10 single, and a lot less gimmicky than their ooga-chucka'd "Hooked on a Feeling".  But I had forgotten it was written by the Addrisis.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 30, 2008, 09:57:20 PM »
"Clap for the Wolfman" had a clearly different voice doing the Wolfman Jack parts - was there a radio edict against other stations using his voice/character?

WTF?  I'm not aware of there being any other version (if such an edict existed the song never would've been a hit).  I'll be listening closely tonite.

Well, I heard Wolfman Jack as always. Dunno what you heard.

And a special achievement award to Ms Reddy for making me smile 3 weeks in a row. VHM Paul Williams for writing a lovely tune.

Uh-oh, Dionne Warwick just got that urge to feel ya!  She probably thinks you've got coke on your person. Cavity search!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:01:36 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 31, 2008, 05:42:49 PM »
"Clap for the Wolfman" had a clearly different voice doing the Wolfman Jack parts - was there a radio edict against other stations using his voice/character?

WTF?  I'm not aware of there being any other version (if such an edict existed the song never would've been a hit).  I'll be listening closely tonite.

Well, I heard Wolfman Jack as always. Dunno what you heard.
Reruns of old Wolfman Jack shows air after the Lost 45s on WODS, and I usually hear the intro, whose theme is CFTW; maybe it's the other way around and Wolfman re-recorded his lines for the show?  Anyway, it just sounded different from what I was expecting; sorry for the false alarm.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #381 on: September 01, 2008, 03:34:41 AM »
I don't know when his show is on but Wolfman Jack is played on XM Radio's 60's channel.

Casey's XM 80's show was from September 1, 1984 which included songs I don't even remember: Rick James' 17, Only when you leave by Spandau Ballet, Donna Summer's version of There goes my baby and The Lucky One by Laura Branigan. The chart also included Cyndi Lauper's She Bop. I would of paid a lot money to hear Casey explain what the song meant on the air.

For the record the top 5 that week were - What's Love Got to do with it - Tina Turner, Missing You - John Waite, Stuck on You - Lionel Richie, Ghostbusters - Ray Parker, Jr, When Does Cry - Prince.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 05, 2008, 06:59:07 AM »
This weekend (9/6-7) Casey70's is from Sept 2, 1972.  Playlist:
http://www.wbbgfm.com/pages/pp_caseykasem.html
PS- you can listen via that Ohio station Sat & Sun mornings and Tuesdays 7pm ET.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:51:01 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 05, 2008, 07:29:16 AM »
PS- you can listen to it via this Ohio station Sat & Sun mornings and Tuesday eve's (7pm ET).

Fabulous stuff!  Rick Springfield's "Speak to the Sky"! Sonny & Cher turning the Budweiser commercial ("when you say Bud") into a hit single! and a real rarity -- "Small Beginnings" by Flash, a Yes/ELP clone.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 06, 2008, 06:38:39 AM »
PS- you can listen via that Ohio station Sat & Sun mornings and Tuesdays 7pm ET.
At #40, funny to hear Bud commercial turned love song (or is it other way 'round?) by Sonny & Cher, showcasing Sonny's 'singing' voice.  Oops, Casey makes a mistake: at #39 he cites Moody Blues 'Nights In White Satin' as being from 1968 album 'In Search of the Lost Chord' when it is from their '67 LP 'Days of Future Passed.'  At #37, Streisand sure sounds Aretha-esque in latter half of that tune.  At #36, Dutchmen Mouth & MacNeal's naughty pub rocker 'How Do You Do' and at #35, it's Rick Springfield's first hit.  I understand he's got a new CD out.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 06, 2008, 07:09:38 AM »
At #27 and #26, a couple of favorite sing-along-when-by-yourself songs from back then, Bee Gees 'Run To Me' and Bobby Vinton 'Sealed With A Kiss'.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 06, 2008, 07:13:06 AM »
At #27 and #26, a couple of favorite sing-along-when-by-yourself songs from back then, Bee Gees 'Run To Me' and Bobby Vinton 'Sealed With A Kiss'.
The former appearing on - ta-dah! - Sweet & Hoffs' Under the Covers.

I woke up late, am an hour behind you, enjoying some NTM Staple Singers.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 06, 2008, 07:21:19 AM »
The former appearing on - ta-dah! - Sweet & Hoffs' Under the Covers.
I woke up late, am an hour behind you, enjoying some NTM Staple Singers.
'morning, Gaz.  I was up at 5:45 on a Sat, so enjoying all of AT40.  Yes, I have that 'Under the Covers' CD, a fun project.  Yes, also NTM today were that Staples tune, Babs tune, Flash, and at #24 the Detroit Emeralds, sounding like the Temp's.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 06, 2008, 07:32:26 AM »
Didn't know the cover of Raspberries LP was scratch'n sniff!  What a great rocker at #20, the McCartney-esque 'Go ALL the Way!'

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 06, 2008, 07:56:16 AM »
At #18 and #17, a couple more tunes we used to sing along with back in the 70's, Daniel Boone's 'Beautiful Sunday' and Nilsson's 'Coconut'!   I don't remember #16, the J5's 'Lookin' Thru The Windows'.  Speaking of the J5, this news item yesterday:
Jackson reunite at awards show
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jWjWP95HkbjJYJPEhk5yF_74Fo3AD930FDU02
But where was Michael?
"I don't know," Marlon told The Associated Press before the show. "I think he's in Egypt riding a camel or something."  (is that code for he's off humping a 10-yr-old boy?)