Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385751 times)

SFGuy

Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
XM versions this weekend.

The 70's - May 20, 1978
The 80's - May 17, 1986

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2008, 03:06:01 PM »
XM versions this weekend.

The 70's - May 20, 1978
The 80's - May 17, 1986

The '80s chart above was on the terrestrial version last weekend -- and it was most excellent!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2008, 06:15:41 AM »
Hey, this weekend (5/17-18) "AT40 the 70's" is from May 17, 1975
www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119

A good one, tho' not nearly as many "forgotten hits" as usual. I will probably miss this one due to other commitments in any case. TANC: Greg on CGSS just played the Disc-O-Texx song.

The Tavares - "Remember What I Told You to Forget" - was delightfully sub-Spinners (they really were a versatile bunch), and nice to hear LZ's "Trampled Underfoot" at 38 (albeit truncated to what seemed like 70 seconds).  "Mama, ain't no shtick!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2008, 06:38:05 AM »
OMGWTF of set: Roger Whittaker, "Last Farewell."  (Casey: "Sounding like Brook Benton.")  "I hear there's a wicked war a-blazing ..."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2008, 10:12:22 AM »
OMGWTF of set: Roger Whittaker, "Last Farewell."  (Casey: "Sounding like Brook Benton.")  "I hear there's a wicked war a-blazing ..."

Like a Hemingway story set to music. Now try to imagine his version of "Mammy Blue" (!)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2008, 10:37:26 PM »
Listening to some of AT40, hour #2, via the KFRC replay. Lobo tells his girl "your hair smells like Sunday morning" -- so, her hair smells like home fries and sausages? pancakes? Wha?

I'm still amused that Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed" was released/labelled as "Only Women". And Casey tells the story about Barry Manilow having played piano for Bette Midler "in a bathhouse" but spares his audience any further details. And speaking of bathhouses: Neil Sedaka!  (Actually, "The Immigrant" is his crowning achievement -- lovely and heartfelt and more relevant than ever.)

I'm staying tuned to hear Herbie Mann's "Hijack" at #18 -- an early club hit that was HUGE on NY radio months before hitting the national chart. It climbed steadily, peaked at #14... and dropped out of the Top 40 completely the following week!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 10:42:13 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2008, 07:06:55 AM »
Listening to some of AT40, hour #2, via the KFRC replay. Lobo tells his girl "your hair smells like Sunday morning" -- so, her hair smells like home fries and sausages? pancakes? Wha?
Oh, I thought he was saying it smelled like a newspaper.

Meantime, I've got Casey's '80s on this morning.  They're in '85 again already - more Madonna-mania - but at 40 we get the fine if forgotten "Show Some Respect" from Tina Turner.  This was the year when my AT40 listening was at its most obsessive, so I'm sure I'll reocgnize everything here.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2008, 09:37:45 AM »
at 40 we get the fine if forgotten "Show Some Respect" from Tina Turner

I still have that 45 -- the B-side was a live version of Prince's "Let's Pretend We're Married"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2008, 09:58:48 AM »
"the Search is Over"... but the "Never-Ending Story" is, uh, never-ending.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
Wow, I don't remember Rick Springfield's "Celebrate Youth" at ALL.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2008, 10:49:30 AM »

And this REO, "One Lonely Night", is new to me too. Another song that got zero attention from NYC radio (and with good reason, I'd say).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »
S-t-r-a-n-g-e video for that one.  YouTube it if you have time.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
The only Beverly Hills Cop hit Dave's ever played is "The Heat is On", but any of the others would be a welcome addition to an '85 set: "Neutron Dance", "Axel F"... and Patti LaBelle's "New Attitide" has TOTHK written all over it.

Oh my! DLR is Just a Gigolo, but he ain't got nobody. How ironic!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »
"One Night in Bangkok" gives a humble man a hard-on. Guess it's all that banging of koks.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2008, 07:28:26 PM »
The only Beverly Hills Cop hit Dave's ever played is "The Heat is On", but any of the others would be a welcome addition to an '85 set: "Neutron Dance", "Axel F"... and Patti LaBelle's "New Attitide" has TOTHK written all over it.

I have to say, given 23 years' hindsight, that "New Attitude," much as I want to like it, just wasn't a very good song.  Sloppily written but gamely performed, its slot just outside the Top 10 seems about right.  I'd MUCH rather do the Neutron Dance.

PS: "One Night in Bangkok" at No. 3 still seems one of the great chart anomalies of all time.