Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1386161 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »
OMFG!  At #35, Buckner & Garcia's "Pac-Man Fever"!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »
Another for the Alisons list: Rick Springfield, "Love Is Alright Tonight" (from Working Class Dog).

ETA: Oops, that was the commercial-break track.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 03:44:35 PM by Gazoo »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »

This chart has it all... just like Bogie & Bacall!  I'll def check it out tomorrow morning, just for Ms Flack's "Making Love" (title song from the film), Ray Parker's "Other Woman", Manilow's 4 Seasons cover, and H&O's "Did it in a Minute". But there's some SERIOUSLY bad cheeze here: "Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk", Stars on 45 Part 3 (aaaaack!), Asia, and (gulp) Charlene.

But appropriately for Derby Weekend: Fogelberg's "Run For the Roses"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 04:30:40 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »
Whoa: I had forgotten that Magnum, P.I. was a charting theme.  Mike Post really caught the year as it sounded to my ears.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2008, 04:32:56 PM »
Amusing to get Dan Fogelberg's "Run for the Roses" on the day of the Kentucky Derby.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2008, 05:06:48 PM »
Amusing to get Dan Fogelberg's "Run for the Roses" on the day of the Kentucky Derby.

Derby JINX!!!

And how sad about the runner-up (the filly) having to be euthanized right after the race.  RIP Eight Belles. She was supposedly Hillary's favorite in the race -- an omen?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »
I still think "My Girl Bill" is pretty clever, and it was a lot more striking on Top 40 radio in '74 than it seems now.  But this Billy Paul tune -- wow. Another overlooked Gamble & Huff gem.

Albert Hammond's "I'm a Train" seems a bit sillier than I remember it, but a fine production nonetheless. And Ree-Ree's cover of Bobby Womack's "I'm in Love" (orig a hit for Wilson Pickett) is simply sublime -- has anyone else had so many superb medium-sized hits?  "yes ah ram, yes ah RAM!"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »
Casey's a sucker for Sami Jo's "Tell Me a Lie."  And so am I.

Lovely. You really need to explore more Classic Country; that's the sort of well-written, matter-of-fact handling of adultery that was an everyday thing in Nashville from the '60s thru the early '90s, when songwriting was truly a craft. 

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2008, 07:47:17 PM »
Talk about different ways of finding god: JB on his birthday with "Payback"; and Sister Janet Mead with her "Lord's Prayer".  All this and "todo da bien Chevrolet" too!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2008, 08:11:12 PM »
Oy -- as if the shamelessly treacly lyric to Helen Reddy's "Keep on Singing" isn't bad enuf, it steals its melody from BJ Thomas' "RockNRoll Lullabye". 

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2008, 08:40:37 PM »
ah, the days when superb MOR-pop was not a crime: Carpenters with another Paul Williams gem, followed by Mr Denver's "Sunshine".

But oh, Marvin -- bringing out the best in Diana (and vice-versa) on mah-mah-mah Mistake!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »
Casey tells the how-3DN-got-their-name story yet again. And then the boys give Gaz a reason to like Leo Sayer with "The Show Must Go On".

And it's followed by the truly wondrous "Tubular Bells", which took a while to chart, considering that The Exorcist opened at Xmas.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2008, 09:41:56 PM »
Don't. Look. ETHELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2008, 11:24:49 AM »

This chart has it all... just like Bogie & Bacall!  I'll def check it out tomorrow morning, just for Ms Flack's "Making Love" (title song from the film), Ray Parker's "Other Woman", Manilow's 4 Seasons cover, and H&O's "Did it in a Minute". But there's some SERIOUSLY bad cheeze here: "Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk", Stars on 45 Part 3 (aaaaack!), Asia, and (gulp) Charlene.

But appropriately for Derby Weekend: Fogelberg's "Run For the Roses"

Mick don't need the aggravation, he's a lazy slob... he hang FIE-ah!

Not only has this countdown been a delight, but I'm impressed by the range of within-the-orig-show "extras" that aren't Long Dist Deds. Both sides of a double-sided CCR hit from '69, and (OMG!) Freddy Fender's "Wasted Days & Wasted Nights". (Imagine Seacrest, or whoever hosts the current incarnation, playing a twangy country crossover hit from a decade ago in the midst of all the current hip-hop and alt-pop).

And jeez, Asia's "Heat of the Moment" was the highest-debuting song by a "new" act since America's "Horse w/No Name" 10 years earlier!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »
Ray Parker, Jr grabs his, er, git-tar... and plays with it all night long. Watch out, Ray, you'll go blind.  A terrific forgotten hit -- his solo career should've been a lot more than just "Ghostbusters".

And it's followed by one of the Great Moments in Corporate Shamelessness: "The Beatles Movie Medley". Stunningly pedestrian. I considered it a small triumph of taste when this failed to make the Top Ten.