Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1386168 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2008, 12:27:26 PM »
make Natty shoot! make Natty shoot! Third World on CGSS.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2008, 12:39:56 PM »
Todo da bien Chevrolet!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »
Todo da bien Chevrolet!

and now the Chi-Lites are back-seat drivers in that Chevrolet of love. "Stoned Outa Mah Mind" -- a lost '70s gem.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2008, 01:35:02 PM »
Donny H: Where is the love?

Roberta F: it's out on that window ledge....

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »

PS- a good source for stations airing syndicated countdown shows:
http://radio.nenad.net/
Use their drop-down menu to select a syndicated show, click for list of stations airing it with links to homepages and streams.

awesome!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2008, 06:39:05 AM »
This weekend's terrestrial "AT40 70's" is from April 8, 1978.
Fantastic and new to me at 32: Rubicon, "I'm Gonna Take Care of Everything," featuring Jerry Martini (formerly with Sly) and sounding a lot like 3DN/Chicago.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2008, 07:17:32 PM »
Fantastic and new to me at 32: Rubicon, "I'm Gonna Take Care of Everything," featuring Jerry Martini (formerly with Sly) and sounding a lot like 3DN/Chicago.

Just logged on to the Wisconsin version. Can't wait to hear that one.  More comments later, but I've just heard Player's forgotten follow-up to "Baby Come Back", the this-one-*doesn't*-sound-like-Hall & Oates delight "This Time I'm In It For Love". 

ooo! here's Dolly with "2 Boobs", er, "2 Doors Down".  Followed by Casey telling the KC-started-out-sweeping-floors-at-TK Records story yet again, as a lead-in for my personal fave "Boogie Shoes".
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 07:24:51 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2008, 09:55:24 PM »

Just logged on to the Wisconsin version. Can't wait to hear that one... 

Sorry, I have to say I was underwhelmed by that Rubicon song -- completely generic to my ears. It got zero airplay in NYC and now I can see why. But I was thrilled to hear Gene Cotton's "Before My Heart Finds Out"; his hit from '77, "You Got Me Running" is a personal obscure fave (I still have the 45).  Other highlights for me:

Andrew Gold's "Thank You For Being a Friend", which would become the theme song for Golden Girls 6 years later; a couple of "goodbye" songs -- ED&JFC's "We'll Never have To say Goodbye Again" and David Gates' "Goodbye Girl"; and Andy Gibbs "Love is Thicker Than Water". Which reminds, we just missed the chart where 4 of the top 5 were Bee Gees productions, but 4 of the top 6 here are Gibb-related (3 from SNF plus "Emotion"). Samantha Sang -- and the world listened!

BTW, the Wisconsin station eliminates the just-outside-the-Top40 "extras", presumably so they can sell extra local commercials.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 10:07:07 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2008, 10:19:07 PM »
From Kasem to KPOO: JJ starts his show with Raydio (who we heard on AT40 too, doing "Jack & Jill"), but this is a B-side called "Hot Stuff" -- new to me. And it's followed by War's "Galaxy", a Gaz fave iirc, and (TANC) JB's "Gimme Some Skin". And OMFG it's Ronnie Dyson's "The More You Do It (The More I Like It Done To Me)". Trivia: didya know Dyson did "Just Don't Want To Be Lonely" 6 months before Main Ingredient?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »
Casey’s ‘80s this week is April 2, 1983.  Always a thrill to hear Stephen Bishop’s Tootsie tune, “It Might Be You”.  ROTFL-of-the-Day: Casey doing a feature on that “new technology”, the compact disc. “it uses a LASER BEAM!” says an astounded Casey. “But don’t worry about your vinyl LPs becoming obsolete just yet…”

Oxo’s “Whirly Girl” is also fun, and why it only got to #28 is a mystery to me. And BJ’s “Allentown” was the first MTV video to have naked MEN, as opposed to the ubiquitous scantily-clad females so familiar to MTV viewers.  Other highlights from Hour 1: DeBarge’s “I Like it” and Laura Branigan’s “Solitaire” (NOT the Sedaka/Carpenters hit).

Hour 2 kicks off with the Thompson Twins’ great “Lies”. Followed by forgotten Fogelberg, “Make Love Stay”, and even-more-forgotten Toto, “I Won’t Hold You Back”, which actually made the Top Ten and hasn’t been heard since. And wow: Bob Seger's "Even Now" contains the line "She's keepin' it real" -- in 1983!  Bob Seger, the original gangsta!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2008, 11:30:49 AM »
Hour 3: great to hear EWF’s wonderful, unjustly forgotten “Fall in Love With Me”. And Mr Seger shows up again with “Shame on the Moon”, which I’m guessing is Rodney Crowell’s biggest pop hit as a songwriter. But nothing in this hour can beat Frida’s fabulous “Something Going On”, also a career-peak for producer Phil Collins. Why ABBA-loving Dave has never played this in an ’83 set is beyond baffling.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »
Can’t stick around for Hour 4 , but the #1 song is “Billie Jean”, for the 5th week. And here’s MJ with his other hit in the Top 20, “Beat It”, at #14. Go EVH! "Show 'em how funky-strong is your fight!"

SFGuy

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »
:snipped:
And BJ’s “Allentown” was the first MTV video to have naked MEN, as opposed to the ubiquitous scantily-clad females so familiar to MTV viewers.
:snipped:

There was a story to this. I forgot whom said it but the person said for the hell of it the stuck that scene of the nude guy expecting MTV to remove it. They never did. It remained in recent memory when VH1 Classic shows videos (about 6 hours a day).

SFGuy

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2008, 09:44:19 PM »
XM shows for AT40:

April 12th - The 70's - April 8, 1978
April 13th - The 80's - April 11, 1981

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2008, 10:49:06 AM »
This weekend's non-XM "AT40-The 70's" is from April 10, 1971. The playlist: www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119