Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1386208 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2008, 06:53:52 AM »
Wow, I despise Leo Sayer's "Long Tall Glasses."  He sounds rather like Loudon Wainwright III on this track.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2008, 08:55:30 AM »
New to me: Helen Reddy, "Emotion."  It's a feeling she chooses over feeling numb.

A cover -- originally a French song. A woman whose name escapes me did an English version with a rather diff lyric, and got prog FM play with it the year before.

I woke up just as Casey was playing "I Am Love" and "Sad Sweet Dreamer" back-to-back. Talk about TANCs upon TANCs!  Indeed, it looks like most of Dave's Monday set is in this countdown.

And you are wrong wrong wrong about "Long Tall Glasses", one of my favorite songs of that year.   ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2008, 09:02:21 AM »
Free yo' Lady Marmalade!  Ms LaBelle talks about selling her heart to the junkman (and the confusion *those* lyrics caused), but doesn't comment on "voulez-vouz couchez avec moi"? WTF ??

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2008, 03:57:29 PM »
Free yo' Lady Marmalade!  Ms LaBelle talks about selling her heart to the junkman (and the confusion *those* lyrics caused), but doesn't comment on "voulez-vouz couchez avec moi"? WTF ??

I'd never thought of "junkman" as pusherman - only as Sanford.

So I've got Casey's '80s countdown on while I spend a sick day here at home.  Some great near-forgottens - Dan Hartman's "Second Nature," Greg Kihn's "Lucky" - along with a really creepy long-distance dedication.  A woman had met a guy who was passing through town in a traveling circus (!) and in the process of trying to keep in touch with him, became close friends with his mom ... whom she came to call "Mom" despite never meeting her in 8 years (!!) and has just dedicated to her ... Lionel Richie's "Hello" (!!!).  And in my dreams, I've kissed your lips a thousand times ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2008, 03:58:16 PM »
Free yo' Lady Marmalade!

Are you mondegreening or riffing?  I thought it was "Creole Lady Marmalade"?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2008, 11:07:14 PM »
Indeed, it looks like most of Dave's Monday set is in this countdown.

Well, as Monday's was an "on this date" set, it would follow that the chart for 3/29/75 would be pretty similar.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2008, 12:15:46 PM »
Free yo' Lady Marmalade!

Are you mondegreening or riffing?  I thought it was "Creole Lady Marmalade"?

mondegreening; it's "creole" -- we've discussed this on several diff occasions, actually, which is why I posted that. So... how much pot *do* you smoke, exactly? ;)

I'm listening to the '80s chart too -- 2 tributes to Marvin Gaye in the Top 15. And special mention to Journey's "Only the Young", the only single of theirs from that period that I actually like.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2008, 12:25:02 PM »
Indeed, it looks like most of Dave's Monday set is in this countdown.

Well, as Monday's was an "on this date" set, it would follow that the chart for 3/29/75 would be pretty similar.

I didn't really realize until afterward how many of the songs Dave picked tied in with the "conception" theme:

1.   Barry White - What Am I Gonna Do With You?  ("been makin' love fo' hours...")

2.   Labelle - Lady Marmalade ("voulez-ous coucher avec moi?")

5.   Al Green - L-O-V-E     

7.   Jackson 5 - I Am Love     

9.   David Bowie - Young Americans   ("she took his ring/took his babies... It took him minutes/took her nowhere")

10.   Blackbyrds - Walkin' in Rhythm (well, "rhythm" is a form of birth control  ;) )

SFGuy

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2008, 12:36:33 AM »

So I've got Casey's '80s countdown on while I spend a sick day here at home.  Some great near-forgottens - Dan Hartman's "Second Nature," Greg Kihn's "Lucky" - along with a really creepy long-distance dedication.  A woman had met a guy who was passing through town in a traveling circus (!) and in the process of trying to keep in touch with him, became close friends with his mom ... whom she came to call "Mom" despite never meeting her in 8 years (!!) and has just dedicated to her ... Lionel Richie's "Hello" (!!!).  And in my dreams, I've kissed your lips a thousand times ...

Where did you listen to this show? This is the chart that XM had on this week. I sleep late on Sundays so I taped it and as I type this this creepy part came up.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2008, 07:49:14 AM »

Where did you listen to this show? This is the chart that XM had on this week. I sleep late on Sundays so I taped it and as I type this this creepy part came up.

Gaz & I listen to the terrestrial broadcast version via a station in West Virginia

http://www.magic979.com/

that runs it Sundays from noon-to-4 Eastern time (9 to-1 Pacific).  I'm not sure how often the syndicated AT40s match the XM offerings, but this week both '80s shows were the same.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 07:51:57 AM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2008, 12:28:29 AM »
XM AT40 shows for this weekend:

Saturday, April 5th - The 70's: April 9, 1977
Sunday, April 6th - The 80's: April 10, 1982

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2008, 11:58:38 AM »
Toby Keith, back before he became unbearably bellicose, with "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Cryin'". And it's the country-radio version without Sting, who wrote it and orig did it as a duet with Mr Keith.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2008, 12:27:06 PM »
another local commercial on this Texas country satation is for "Germania Insurance".  maybe they could get Buford T Justice to be their spokesperson...

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2008, 09:03:16 PM »

Thanks, SFG!  This week's terrestrial '70s chart is from '78:

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119

Lots of great cheeze, disco and otherwise -- can't wait.

SFGuy

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »

Thanks, SFG!  This week's terrestrial '70s chart is from '78:

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119

Lots of great cheeze, disco and otherwise -- can't wait.

Speaking of cheeze, I was listening to the replay of the 1985 chart from this past weekend on XM and when the chart reached USA for Africa, I realized how many cheezy artist there were from the group. Sure there was Bruce and Dylan but people like Huey Lewis, Cyndi Lauper, Jeffrey Osborne, Kenny Loggins, Dionne Warwick, pure cheese.

BTW, you could listen to XM radio via AOL.com for free and no sign-up nor AOL account (thankfully for the last one) required. So you could check out their versions of AT 40 (if you don't want to listen on the weekends then Wednesday nights for the 70's and Thursday nights for the 80's at 7PM).