Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1403140 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3615 on: January 23, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »
This week, That '70s Casey is from Jan 28th 1978:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/01-28-78.pdf

and Casey's '80s visits Jan 31st 1981:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/01-31-81.pdf

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: January 28, 2012, 10:01:22 AM »
'78 Hour 1:  I'll probably bail after the first hour to run some errands (and to avoid Debbie Boone) but instant BOS1 to Ms Summer's sweet "I Love You", one that deserved better, chart-wise.

VHM ABBA; Wet Willie's "Streetcorner Serenade" is a nice forgotten one -- VHM too. This would not have been out of place on a Hall & Oates LP.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Jay Ferguson's on that island with his dress undone. Er, eww. WOS.

Wow, I don't remember this Leo Sayer flop "Easy to Love" at all... but it's a surprisingly dead-on Boz Scaggs imitation, with some of Toto playing backup.

BOS2 High Inergy's fab "You Can't TUrn Me Off..."  HAAAAAY!

VHM LRB; WOS2 Meco trying to make lightning strike twice, disco-Spielberg-wise.

And as if Casey had been reading yesterday's AL '77 thread, here's Still Bill's "Lovely Day", peaking in '78 just like I said it would.

BOS3 ConFunkShun, havin' "Ffun".
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:49:36 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: January 28, 2012, 11:10:21 AM »
Hour 2: VHM Foreigner, far from home.

BOS4 and HAAAAY!-of-the-Week: "Native New Yorker".

WOS3 Leif Garrett's boneheaded remake of "Runaround Sue".  And I'm outta here.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: January 28, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »
Back in time for BJ's "Just the Way You Are"; sorry I missed "Love is Thicker Than My Penis" and Shaun Cassidy's fab Eric Carmen cover -- BOS-in-absentia  "Hey Deannie"

Rod the Mod has urine in his heart. or something.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:37:13 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: January 29, 2012, 10:25:31 AM »
'81 Hour 1: VHM LTD, shinin awn.  WOS1 the Blues Bros deservedly forgotten cover of "Who's Makin' Love"

Some cheeze with your Sunday brunch? Well, here's some ONJ & LadyCliff.

OMG! BOS1 and "HAAAAAAAAY!" of the day: Teena Marie!  Proxy of sg.

VHM the Michael Stanley Band, finally scoring a Top 40 hit (feat a Clarence Clemons sax break) with "He Can't Love You", sounding a lot like 3 or 4 Rick Springfield hits -- a few months before "Jessie's Girl" made its debut.

BOS2 this hour's Casey extra: Terri Gibbs!  proxy of cairo.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:57:59 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: January 29, 2012, 11:12:23 AM »
Hour 2: hello again (and VHM), Neil D! I have never seen The Jazz Singer -- one of those sndtks that made more money than the movie, I think.

VHM Ronnie Milsap; WOS2 Heart's illl-advised cover of "Tell it Like it Is"

BOS3 Don McLean's inspired cover of "Crying", sounding really nice this morning.

BOS4 Jacksons, "Heartbreak Hotel" -- there was Sefra and Sue! Every girl that ah knew!

VHM Flo & Eddie's backing vox on "Hungry Heart". WOS3 Iggles, "7 Bitches, er Bridges, Road"; the "Best of Times" is WOS4 for Styx.

this Canuck extra by April Wine is creepy. "we'll use you, and abuse you on the last days of your life.." WTF??
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:04:15 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: January 29, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
Hour 3: BOS5 Stevie W's underappreciated "Ain't Gonna Stand For It". VHM Tierra's "Together" -- they (briefly) made a career of covering old Intruders hits.

VHM REO; BOS6 ABBA -- Butchoo SEE!! Thee Weener tehks ee-tahll!!

VHMs to a couple of forgotten 45s: Boz's "Miss Sun" and Andy Gibb's "Time is Time". Why yes, Andy, I believe it is.

I once found Fogelberg's "Another Auld Lang Syne" rather sappy; now I think it's quite moving and sweet. VHM.

No guilt in giving BOS7 to Babs'n'Barry.

Hey, nineteen: cousin Dupree has a purity bear for you.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:48:02 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: January 30, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »
This week, That '70s Casey hits Feb 6th 1971:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/02-06-71.pdf

and Caey's '80s will visit Feb 7th 1988:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/02-07-88.pdf

The two farthest-apart years possible in February; the geeks at the AT40 board also point out that the '71 chart features the first solo Beatle single to ever hit #1 ("My Sweet Lord") and the '88 chart features the last ("Got My Mind Set on You"). And I thought *I* was a master of chart trivia!

Oh and that '71 chart is quite fab, including Gaz fave "1900 Yesterday" by Liz Damon, rarities from Jackie Moore, Little Sister, Rufus Thomas and Bread, and some of my all-time faves like "Stoney End". Only one version of "Love Story", tho'...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:31:27 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: February 04, 2012, 10:00:49 AM »
1971, Hour 1: a Joe Simon rarity, "Your Time to Cry" gets a VHMFRA. The Wicked Pickett's "Green Grass" is far from rare but always welcome.

VHM Redeye's "Games" -- Best. CSNY. Imitation. EVAH.  BOS1 the late great Gen'l Johnson & the Chairmen, payin' to da pypah. Ass Joe Mama!

BOS2 Gollum's Jackie Moore's great "Precious Precious".  She's probably better known for her disco comeback "This Time, Baby"

BOS3 and proxy of Gaz, Liz Damon's Orient Express, "!900 Yesterday", which we're luckily catching on one of its few weeks in the 40. The sort of record most stations who carry this show probably dread, but just lovely.

OMFG! BOS4 JB gettin' up, gettin in' etc.  BOS5 Sly's Little Sister. The higher the price, the nicer the nice! Also nice: Henry Mancini, the first of the "Love Story" versions to hit the 40. VHM.

BOS6 one of Bread's rare upbeat numbers.  BOS7 Ray Price. Damn that was an amazing hour.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:39:58 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: February 04, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
Hour 2: BOS8 Jerry Reed -- left arm gone clean up to the elbow!  VHM the stoned Supes; BOS9 the still-fantabulous "Mama's Pearl".

David Cassidy, wah think ah love yew!

BOS10 Runt-gren; BOS11 Miss Ross.

BOS11 (!) George, with an "extra" LP cut, "Apple Scruffs"

I'll catch Hour 3 tonite -- there's an ep of Soul Train on with Al Green.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:02:31 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: February 04, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
1971, Hour 1: a Joe Simon rarity, "Your Time to Cry" gets a VHMFRA. The Wicked Pickett's "Green Grass" is far from rare but always welcome.

VHM Redeye's "Games" -- Best. CSNY. Imitation. EVAH.  BOS1 the late great Gen'l Johnson & the Chairmen, payin' to da pypah. Ass Joe Mama!

BOS2 Gollum's Jackie Moore's great "Precious Precious".  She's probably better known for her disco comeback "This Time, Baby"

BOS3 and proxy of Gaz, Liz Damon's Orient Express, "!900 Yesterday", which we're luckily catching on one of its few weeks in the 40. The sort of record most stations who carry this show probably dread, but just lovely.

OMFG! BOS4 JB gettin' up, gettin in' etc.  BOS5 Sly's Little Sister. The higher the price, the nicer the nice! Also nice: Henry Mancini, the first of the "Love Story" versions to hit the 40. VHM.

BOS6 one of Bread's rare upbeat numbers.  BOS7 Ray Price. Damn that was an amazing hour.

Ooh, looking forward to this one later.  For now I'm in the '80s countdown, where Cher's tawkin' bout thu FI-yuh in yuh eyes!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: February 04, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »
Catching up with Hour 3 on Magic 98; BOS12 Mr. C's "It's Impossible" and -- but of course -- uber-BOS13 Babs, goin' down. To Stoney End. (get yer mind outta the gutter!)

Gladys, if you were my woman, you'd have to find yourself a boyfriend.  And so would I. BOS14 for one of her finest vocals.

One of the best extras ever: Tony Bennett, "I Wanna Be Around".  Great story, too. Marilyn McCoo fries one egg -- just to annoy Mick LaSalle. And EJ kicks off the moss. I used to think that was some weird euphemism but he's actually singing about moss.  Speaking of euphemisms: hey there sugah dumplin' -- King Floyd wants you to "groove" him.

BOS15 Lynn Anderson doing Joe South's fab "Rose Garden".  VHM the Brothers Gibb.  BOS16 George -- we get the B-side, "Isn't it a Pity", this time around.  And we close with a pair of bubblegum classics from the Osmonds and Dawn. A wonderful 3 hours.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:53:02 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: February 04, 2012, 11:01:24 PM »
1971, Hour 1: a Joe Simon rarity, "Your Time to Cry" gets a VHMFRA.

I was just looking at the charts for the weeks following this one, and oddly this Joe Simon song stayed at #40 for 3 weeks in a row before disappearing into oblivion.  It was NTM; AT40 didn't start airing in NYC until May of '71

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: February 05, 2012, 10:06:34 AM »
'88 Hour 1: instant WOS Yes, yes?  VHM Debbie Gibson and BOS1 Keith Sweat -- HAAAAY!

WOS2 Heart; VHM and another HAAAAY!, the Cover Girls.

VHM Squeeze just because it's not "Hourglass"

AAAACK! WOS3 Richard Marx -- yacht-rock at its, er, yachtiest. But uber-BOS2 Gladys/Pips' faboo "Love Overboard", which I would love for AL to play in an '88 set but I despair of that ever happening.

"Ah don't know why ah like pussy -- ah just DO!" BOS3 Whitney.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:51:25 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: February 05, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
Hour 2: DLR recycles VH on the forgotten-with-good-reason "Just Like Paradise".  OMFG: Stryper actually had a Top 40 hit? WOS4 "Honestly" -- honestly!

Belinda gets weak; Klymaxx are the LDD this hour; BOS4 Cher, "ah fayowned suhm whun". Uber-BOS5 (and uber-HAAAAY!) Salt'n'Pepa, another one AL oughta play.

BOS6 Men Without Hats' delightful "Pop Goes the World"

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:52:13 AM by RGMike »