Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 1/28/08  (Read 8248 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 1/28/08
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 08:58:41 AM »
And at #1: "Movin' Out (Neil Sedaka's Song)" aka "Laughter in the Rain".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 09:04:17 AM »
I have no need to hear Dave's 1981 set again, so I'm WBGO-ing until CGSS time.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
I have no need to hear Dave's 1981 set again, so I'm WBGO-ing until CGSS time.

And I'm off to some Super Bowling (as in, throwing a few frames) before resuming work.  Good hanging out!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2008, 09:54:53 AM »
Felix on WBGO plays one of my fave forgotten Motown goodies, "My Baby Must Be a Magician".

"mah baby mus' be a mortician
'cause she sho' nuff makes me stiff"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »

Back at #40 we had really obscure Temps -- "Happy People."  I slept from 35 through 21, unfortunately...

Sadly, you missed Love Unltd's "I Belong To You", Joni's "Big Yellow Taxi (Live)", Mr Valli's "My Eyes Adored You (But My Nose Abhorred You)", Jim Stafford's "Your Bulldog Drinks Champagne" (which sounds like it would've made a great follow-up to "The No-No Song" for Ringo), and a long-forgotten Billy Preston instrumental, "Struttin'". I meant to mention this morning what a treat George's "Ding Dong, Ding Dong" was -- rock stations used to play it every New Years, but it has completely faded into obscurity.

And Casey remarked that the nucleus of Styx started out as The Trade Winds of "NY's a Lonely Town" fame but Whitburn's bios of both acts make no mention of it.  BTW, we just missed out on hearing ONJ 3 weeks in a row: "Have You Never Been Mellow" was just outside the Top 40.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2008, 05:08:53 PM »
"Baby is an awful lot like me": Melissa Manchester replaces Tom Petty as my halftime entertainment.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2008, 05:27:10 PM »
"Baby is an awful lot like me": Melissa Manchester replaces Tom Petty as my halftime entertainment.

One of those great late-'70s/early-'80s "how come Barry Manilow didn't record this one?" singles. Rex Smith's "You Take My Breath Away" being the pinnacle of that sub-genre.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2008, 07:40:24 PM »

One of those great late-'70s/early-'80s "how come Barry Manilow didn't record this one?" singles. Rex Smith's "You Take My Breath Away" being the pinnacle of that sub-genre.

Would you go as far as "Never Gonna Let You Go" or "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" for that?

Meantime, Barry Scott winds things down in a smoove way with Major Harris's "Love Won't Let Me Wait."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »
Usually, WODS follows Barry Scott up with an old Wolfman Jack rebroadcast.  Tonight, though, it's AT40!  Same countdown as yesterday morning, so I'll get those songs after all!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2008, 08:22:44 PM »

Would you go as far as "Never Gonna Let You Go" or "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" for that?

Hmmm... yeah, I can totally imagine a Barry-style version of either of those, tho' neither is a Manilow imitation (The Manchester and the Smith come closer to that). There's another from that era that's on the tip of my tongue, but I'm blanking right now. And of course Ray Stevens' "I Need Your Help Barry Manilow" skewers 'em all, brilliantly.

And glad to hear 'ODS has picked up AT40, now I can sleep later on Saturday if I want to. I wish someone in SF would pick up the '80s version, I'd love to hear some of those too.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2008, 09:17:49 PM »
Particular pleasure for me: Carole King's "Nightingale."  I wish people still wrote songs like this.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »
"Coming up: The Beatles' favorite organ player."  I didn't know Brian Epstein had a posthumous chart hit!