Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 12/31/07  (Read 4173 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 12/31/07
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 08:08:04 AM »
Some OMGWTF!s in the Top 20 this week: Ray Price, "For the Good Times"; Lynn Anderson, "Rose Garden"; Supes/4 Tops, "River Deep/Mountain High."  And ask Joe Mama!  "Pay to the Piper" up to 13.

And Perry Como somehow ambles up to 12 with "It's Impossible."  Surreal.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 08:23:34 AM »
This countdown is really making my morning.  Babs up to 9 with "Stoney End," my favorite vocal performance of hers.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 09:00:27 AM »
#1 for the week of 1/16/71: George Harrison, "My Sweet Lord."  Still in awe of the slide guitar and the backing vox arrangement on this.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »
#1 for the week of 1/16/71: George Harrison, "My Sweet Lord."  Still in awe of the slide guitar and the backing vox arrangement on this.

I am SOOOO glad you got to hear the entire 40 -- truly amazing stuff. A treasure trove of you-NEVER-hear-these-songs-anymore mind-bogglers. I'd never heard that BJ Thomas tune, and isn't "Games" by Redeye the best CSNY imitation evah? And the Curtis Mayfield -- hoo lawd! Plus Elvis, the Edwin Starr "War redux", Ray Price, and on and on. 

AT40 didn't begin airing in NYC until March of '71 so this was truly a show I'd never heard before. Didya notice the suble difference in Casey's voice? A bit gruffer. It took another 6 months to a year before he got into his sincere/syrupy groove. Assuming KFRC continues the shows, I'm hoping they replay the very first show (July 4th 1970) when the time comes.

Chart addendum: the Harrison is indeed shown as "My Sweet Lord/Isn't It a Pity" thru-out its run. And the Elvis was double-sided too.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round