Author Topic: Whoooppeee!!! It worked! 1965 today!  (Read 33128 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Yardbirds, Heart Full of Soul
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2005, 10:14:05 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I get so confused, Jeff Beck and/or Jimmy Page?
or Eric?

the authoritative answer from Allmusic:

Song Review by Bruce Eder
"Heart Full of Soul" was the Yardbirds' fourth single and their immediate follow-up to their first hit, "For Your Love," but it was much more than that — it was the song that introduced the group's real sound, or something close to it, to the mass public, and also helped mark the opening of a new, experimental era in British rock. The song came from the pen of Graham Gouldman, a composer/performer (later with 10CC) who had also written "For Your Love." That earlier song, although it had been a hit, didn't really represent the group's sound; indeed, it had played a key role in the exit of lead guitarist Eric Clapton, who couldn't abide "For Your Love"'s pop music attributes, especially the use of the reverb-laden harpsichord as the lead instrument. The group's recording of "Heart Full of Soul," by contrast, was very representative of the Yardbirds' music and was a production that all members of the group pursued with interest and enthusiasm. Indeed, where Eric Clapton had been dealt out of "For Your Love," his successor, Jeff Beck, played a vital role in the arrangement and recording of "Heart Full of Soul." It had been the idea of the group's manager, Giorgio Gomelsky, to use a sitar as the lead instrument on the song — this notion got as far as a rehearsal and an attempt at a recording at Advision Studios in March of 1965, but the Indian musician brought to the session couldn't play in time with the group. It was Jeff Beck who saved the song and the session with his fuzztone guitar licks, which mimicked the sound of a sitar. With rhythm guitarist Chris Dreja playing a metal-strung acoustic guitar, the effect was a startling breakthrough on a pop single for the period. The song expanded the range of guitar sounds that the public knew and understood, in much the same manner as the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction," except that "Heart Full of Soul" was recorded first, two months earlier, and released before the Stones' recording was made. And where the latter song used the fuzztone guitar to imitate a Stax Records-style horn section, "Heart Full of Soul" reached outside of Western music altogether, imitating the sound of a Hindustani instrument. The song was not only a major hit (and, finally, one that matched the group's real sound) but an immensely influential record, inspiring hundreds of bands to try and imitate Beck's guitar and a significant number of those to look beyond Western music for their inspiration on songs. Along with the Beatles' "I Feel Fine" and the Stones' "Satisfaction," "Heart Full of Soul" heralded in a new phase of exoticism in popular music, letting the "genie" of musical experimentation out of its bottle and starting a process that would completely alter the shape of popular music, starting branches of psychedelic and progressive rock, in both of which the Yardbirds would participate fully. Strangely enough, after "I'm a Man," "Heart Full of Soul" remained in the group's repertory longer than almost any other song, right until the final tour with Jimmy Page on the eve of the group's transformation into Led Zeppelin.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Roy Head, Treat Her Right
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2005, 10:14:10 AM »
is my memory still working?
sometimes I get this confused with Mohair Slim, or Mohair whatever.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Roy Head, Treat Her Right
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2005, 10:14:45 AM »
is my memory still working?

You nailed it.  Now known to a new generation as "that sax riff that plays during romp-sequences in movie ads."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Yardbirds, Heart Full of Soul
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2005, 10:15:10 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

someone left right after this song was released. i think it was eric.

I recall reading that Eric left after "For Your Love" because he wanted something bluesier, not so much pop and vaguely Eastern-sounding.  Don't know if FYL came before or after HFOS, though.

oh - perhaps you've got it then. i probably have the wrong song.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Positively 4th St
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2005, 10:15:39 AM »
BOS, and a good alternative to Like a Rolling Stone!

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Whoooppeee!!! It worked! 1965 today!
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2005, 10:15:59 AM »
Ooh, excellent curve ball from Dave to play "Positively Fourth Street".  A very nice choice, and a reallllllly swell set.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2005, 10:16:14 AM »
Right album, wrong song--second time this week.

BOS Positively 4th Street
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2005, 10:16:51 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Yeah, it was Mshray -- see the Drive thread for the deets.

Missed "Liar, Liar" to my dismay.  Now getting a song I thought was Aretha for *years*.

And yes, "Rolling Stone" and "Satisfaction" are cinches, as is something from (yay) the Beatles, probably either "Ticket to Ride" or "Day Tripper."  I'm betting the former.  Also betting that we hear from the DC5, maybe "Any Way You Want It."  I just hope it's not "Because," one of the worst songs ever written.

I'm sure we get Beatles, but "Satisfaction" & "Like A Rolling Stone" might just be too obvious.  Says here we get the Beau Brummels (SF's own) though.

MShray scores on the Dylan tip, though "4th Street" can hardly be called un-obvious.  Still a great bitchfest.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2005, 10:17:03 AM »
Everyone needs to phone in to reinforce we need more frequent visits to these classic years. 65 is AWESOME!
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
was this actually on Highway 61?
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2005, 10:17:18 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: was this actually on Highway 61?
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2005, 10:19:22 AM »

http://bobdylan.com/albums/highway.html

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2005, 10:19:29 AM »

ayup.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2005, 10:20:37 AM »

ayup.

a-nope. :) i just pulled this album out a couple of weeks ago because i wanted to hear this song. i could have sworn i heard it then, too. weird. maybe there are two versions? i'll check at home later. maybe i was just projecting.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2005, 10:21:09 AM »

ayup.

Was that me?  Which song do ya mean?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2005, 10:22:16 AM »

none of the above, this was a single & didn't appear on an LP until Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits in '67.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010