Author Topic: KBCO, 11/28/07: 1980  (Read 4640 times)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KBCO, 11/28/07: 1980
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:02:15 AM »
English Beat get the first BOS with "Tears of a Clone"

(at least that's how Ranking Roger seems to pronounce it)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 09:04:17 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KBCO, 11/28/07: 1980
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 09:08:06 AM »
English Beat get the first BOS with "Tears of a Clone"

(at least that's how Ranking Roger seems to pronounce it)

LOL! His clone sleeps alone. Is Ranking Roger related to Ranking Ann?

WOS GD.

"You're a treMENdous slouch!".

Least necessary: Blondie.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 09:12:45 AM »
"Biko" is a guilty displeasure for me.  It's a noble song - I just don't like it aesthetically.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:15:57 AM »
"Biko" is a guilty displeasure for me.  It's a noble song - I just don't like it aesthetically.

Horrors!

Actually, as I mentioned yesterday, I felt the same way about Lions For lambs.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 09:22:02 AM »
"skate a little lower now", sez dirty ol' Fagen.  The Cuervo Gold...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:24:59 AM »
BOS2 (after English Beat)  "Turning Japanese"!  I really THINK so!

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 09:29:49 AM »

wow, really?  I guess I think you should feel guilty about that then.   ;)  I think it's some of Gabriel's best lyrics for one thing.

Chain reaction:  Gabriel writes "Biko" and when Little Steven hears it he is moved to visit SA, where he has Van Zandt relatives who are firm believers in Apartheid, to see for himself.  Decides to arganize the Artists United Against Apartheid & produces the album Sun City.  Bono appears on it & while recording in NYC, he hangs with Mick & Keith, who are there for moral support but schedule-wise can't do a song.  Mick & Keith expose Bono to American roots blues for the first time in an all-night record playing and sitting on the floor jamming session, and Bono writes "Silver and Gold" the next day, and it gets on the Sun City album.  Also starts talking politics with Bruce.  U2 decide to take a year off to support Amnesty International & organize concerts around the globe, featuring Bruce, Gabriel & Sting (which memorably includes Sting doing "Gueca Solo" in Mendoza, Argentina, with about half the audience being Chileans). Tour culminates in a US date, simulcast on MTV, featuring a Police reunion, in which Gabriel closes the show with "Biko".  At the end of the song the performers all walk off stage one by one, with the crowd singing "oh oh Biko, becau-au-ause Biko", until it's just the drummer, and then he hits those 2 bullet shots off the snare and the lights go down.

The impact all this had on the anti-apartheid movement is literally immeasurable, but profound.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 09:30:01 AM »
I would've preferred any of the Cheeze Medley tunes to hearing Blondie for the billionth time.

BOS3 Broooooooooooooooce! "Sherry darling" is one of my fave songs from The River and why wasn't it a single? Woulda been huge.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 09:30:19 AM »
Can I just say, tho it is certainly redundant, that Ginger effin' RAWKS!!! BOS Sherry Darling!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 09:32:31 AM »

wow, really?  I guess I think you should feel guilty about that then.   ;)  I think it's some of Gabriel's best lyrics for one thing.

Chain reaction:  Gabriel writes "Biko" and when Little Steven hears it he is moved to visit SA, where he has Van Zandt relatives who are firm believers in Apartheid, to see for himself.  Decides to arganize the Artists United Against Apartheid & produces the album Sun City.  Bono appears on it & while recording in NYC, he hangs with Mick & Keith, who are there for moral support but schedule-wise can't do a song.  Mick & Keith expose Bono to American roots blues for the first time in an all-night record playing and sitting on the floor jamming session, and Bono writes "Silver and Gold" the next day, and it gets on the Sun City album.  Also starts talking politics with Bruce.  U2 decide to take a year off to support Amnesty International & organize concerts around the globe, featuring Bruce, Gabriel & Sting (which memorably includes Sting doing "Gueca Solo" in Mendoza, Argentina, with about half the audience being Chileans). Tour culminates in a US date, simulcast on MTV, featuring a Police reunion, in which Gabriel closes the show with "Biko".  At the end of the song the performers all walk off stage one by one, with the crowd singing "oh oh Biko, becau-au-ause Biko", until it's just the drummer, and then he hits those 2 bullet shots off the snare and the lights go down.

The impact all this had on the anti-apartheid movement is literally immeasurable, but profound.

Wow I never knew any of that -- thanks! One of the most interesting things I've ever learned on this board, which is saying something!

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 09:33:27 AM »
This sounds like a different vesion of "Girls Talk", but BOS anyway.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 09:33:37 AM »
BOS4 EC, his ownself's version of "Girls talk".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Anyone else gotten that "a post occurred while you were typing" message?  I find it a tad annoying.

2nd-least-necessary: John

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 09:36:38 AM »
Anyone else gotten that "a post occurred while you were typing" message?  I find it a tad annoying.

2nd-least-necessary: John

there's also a "three posts occurred while you were reading" message.  Annoying but ignorable, methinks.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 09:40:14 AM »
It's crazy but I'm BOS5-ing Mr Palmer, "Got to Give it Up While Looking For Clues"