Author Topic: 6 November 2007--it's 1984  (Read 3955 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
6 November 2007--it's 1984
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 10:40:34 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "Davefish"
The Springsteen phenomenon. He was freakin' huge that year. I sure went "wtf" when I first heard Dancin' in the Dark though.

Born in the USA is when I lost interest in Bruce.  It all sounds really repetitive.  There certainly was good stuff in there, but nearly as interesting as earlier work.

Yep, I think a lot of folks who had been onboard with him from Born To Run or before had that reaction. Yes, there are good songs on BITUSA (Bobby Jean, anyone?) but they weren't the singles.

But it was also a good introduction for those of us who hadn't discovered Bruce to that point.  Bruce wasn't really on my radar growing up, but Born in th USA was unavoidable, and caused me to go back and listen to what I'd missed earlier.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »
A big "meh" to "Voices",  a Morey fave that musta been a lot bigger out here than it was in NY.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 10:43:44 AM »
VHM, the jangly guitar and U2.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 10:46:15 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
The Springsteen phenomenon. He was freakin' huge that year. I sure went "wtf" when I first heard Dancin' in the Dark though.

Born in the USA is when I lost interest in Bruce.  It all sounds really repetitive.  There certainly was good stuff in there, but nearly as interesting as earlier work.

Seriously? Wow, I think it's one of those Important-with-a-capital-"I" albums that comes along only rarely. It's certainly more overtly political than anything he'd done up to then. And the fact that middle america bought it in the millions because (most of 'em) misinterpreted the message (thinking it jingoistic and patriotic when in fact it's the opposite) is both funny and quite satisfying.  Tho' IMHO JCM's "Scarecrow" topped it the following year.

True, but his sound had been homogenized and updated to conform to what, to a certain extent, was getting played on the radio. It did get them played on the radio, and as Rod pointed out, provided a point of entry for those who hadn't heard Bruce much to that point, but at the expense of some older fans who thought him to be selling out.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 6 November 2007--it's 1984
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 02:28:02 PM »
Good start to a potentially not-so-good year. Oblivious, Aztec Camera. Saw them open for Elvis Costello in '83, and was completely knocked out.

Wow, speak of the devil...

I feel I saw them open for Elvis too, but can't remember the venue.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Bruce
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 02:30:59 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Seriously? Wow, I think it's one of those Important-with-a-capital-"I" albums that comes along only rarely. It's certainly more overtly political than anything he'd done up to then. And the fact that middle america bought it in the millions because (most of 'em) misinterpreted the message (thinking it jingoistic and patriotic when in fact it's the opposite) is both funny and quite satisfying.  Tho' IMHO JCM's "Scarecrow" topped it the following year.
True, but his sound had been homogenized and updated to conform to what, to a certain extent, was getting played on the radio. It did get them played on the radio, and as Rod pointed out, provided a point of entry for those who hadn't heard Bruce much to that point, but at the expense of some older fans who thought him to be selling out.

I'm not a Brucehead, but I really think some song from "The River" are among his best (Point Blank)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 04:25:47 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Good start to a potentially not-so-good year. Oblivious, Aztec Camera. Saw them open for Elvis Costello in '83, and was completely knocked out.

I saw 'em at the Greek Theatre in Sept. of '83. Ring any bells?
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 06:37:08 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I saw 'em at the Greek Theatre in Sept. of '83. Ring any bells?

I've seen Elvis so many times, it's hard to say.  I did see a really great Greek show once.