Main Discussion Area > Mondegreens, My 3 Songs, Other Trivia

courtesy of Ken Jennings

<< < (40/40)

RGMike:

--- Quote from: urth on May 28, 2015, 06:16:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: mshray on May 28, 2015, 05:18:47 PM ---Here's a new question 7 from Ken Jennings that is music related:

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these hit songs?  "As Tears Go By," "Boom Clap," "Celebration," "Chiquitita," "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da," "Heroes," "I'll Never Break Your Heart," "Ring of Fire," "She Loves You," "Shock the Monkey."

(I won't get the answer until next Tuesday, just so you know)

--- End quote ---

I think I have this one -- each of the songs was recorded in a non-English language by the original artist. I know that Heroes, She Loves You and Shock The Monkey were all recorded in German (as was I Want to Hold Your Hand, which Jennings doesn't mention). And a quick web search reveals that several of the others have been as well (Ring of Fire in Spanish, As Tears Go By in Italian, and De Do Do Do etc. in Spanish and Japanese).

--- End quote ---

I think we have a winner! (ABBA did a Spanish version of "Chiquitita")

mshray:
I think you do have it Urth.  I'll verify next Tuesday.

RGMike:
idea for a game show to pitch to a desperate cable channel: "Are You Smarter than a Jeopardy Winner?"

mshray:

--- Quote from: urth on May 28, 2015, 06:16:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: mshray on May 28, 2015, 05:18:47 PM ---Here's a new question 7 from Ken Jennings that is music related:

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these hit songs?  "As Tears Go By," "Boom Clap," "Celebration," "Chiquitita," "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da," "Heroes," "I'll Never Break Your Heart," "Ring of Fire," "She Loves You," "Shock the Monkey."

(I won't get the answer until next Tuesday, just so you know)

--- End quote ---

I think I have this one -- each of the songs was recorded in a non-English language by the original artist. I know that Heroes, She Loves You and Shock The Monkey were all recorded in German (as was I Want to Hold Your Hand, which Jennings doesn't mention). And a quick web search reveals that several of the others have been as well (Ring of Fire in Spanish, As Tears Go By in Italian, and De Do Do Do etc. in Spanish and Japanese).

--- End quote ---

ayup!

per KJ: "After the original artist recorded each one in English, he/she/they recorded a foreign-language version for another market.  Para otro mercado distinto!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version