Author Topic: KHUM/CG/etcetcetc for the week of Jan 22  (Read 11295 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KHUM/CG/etcetcetc for the week of Jan 22
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 11:51:27 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
KBCO A-Z update:

As of 9:20 am Wednesday, they're still in the S's. Just heard Karla Bonoff's version of Someone To Lay Down Beside Me, and now it's the Beatles (yay), Something.

Hrm.  Do they go 24/7 with this or (like KFOG) is it a 6a - 10p thang?

Been wondering that myself. I can't seem to tell from anything on their web site--it lists only the last 10 songs. And at the moment, it seems to be stuck on Karla Bonoff--no mention of the Beatles, Bonnie Raitt, U2, or Robbie Robertson, or anything else since about 9:25.

I'm tempted to e-mail Ginger and ask when they expect to wrap this up--anyone got her e-mail? If so, ping me offline--don't want to put her at risk of getting harvested by a 'bot.

it's on the website: click on "staff" and you'll get to it eventually (it's a message box that opens up with a menu to select who yer e-mailing).

Had a response from Ginger in last night's e-mail. She says as much as she likes A-Z, she's ready to go back to normal programming so she doesn't have to say "alphabetic journey" for awhile.

She also mentioned that she gets more comments on her 10@10s from the SF Bay area than she does from her local listeners.  :o Safe to say, we know who's responsible for that!

Btw, they're in the W's now--Wild World, Cat Stevens.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »
For those craving an old-style ('50s & '60s) AM "oldies" station, this one's new in Monterey:

http://www.komyradio.com/

Their player may take a few tries to get it to work, but so far what I've heard is enjoyable -- "CarrieAnn", "Surfer Joe".

But I'm keeping an eye on KBCO -- I wanna see what "X" songs they play...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2007, 01:45:04 PM »
Impressive KOMY gem: 'erman's 'ermits, "No Milk Today", another of Graham Gouldman's stellar '60s compositions.

"the company was gay
we turned night into day"

and check out this amazing deconstruction of the tune from Stylus:

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/seconds/hermans-hermits-no-milk-today.htm

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2007, 02:33:03 PM »
interesting: this KOMY oldies format finds room for "That Thing You Do" by the Wonders -- and it fits in perfectly between the Beatles and the Buckinghams.  Clever programming.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2007, 03:03:41 PM »
KBCO closes out the "W" section, quite nicely, with Emmylou Harris "Wrecking Ball".

And the one-and-only "X" song is...  "X Marks the Spot" by Ziggy Marley. New to me, and what? no Blondie? no "Xanadu"?