Author Topic: Not Cool, Not Funny Stuff on the Internet  (Read 44710 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: Not Cool, Not Funny Stuff on the Internet
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2014, 10:43:23 PM »
Pet Peeve of the Week: as if watching the Weather Channel on TV isn't painful enuf, their website is truly hideous, chockablock with sensational headlines (Landslide Horror! Deadly Outbreak! etc) and of course tons of clickbait "listicles". I go there to find out what the temperature is and I immediately want to take a shower.
Weather Channel proper has gone off the rails as far as I'm concerned, so not surprised that their website is more of the same. The numerous TLC-style tabloid shows drive me nuts; I just want to see the weather.  Of course the only time people would tune in for more than a couple minutes is during hurricane season or when there's a blizzard on the east coast.

I use Weather Underground for my weather needs (wunderground.com) and have no complaints. Their app rocks it, too.
at this moment, three different weather sites:

WeatherChannel - SF 65 degrees
AccuWeather -  SF 71 degrees
WeatherUndergound - SF 73 degrees.

Given that it's been overcast all day, I'm guessing it's towards the lower end of that spectrum
SF's microclimates can produce wild swings in current temps at any given time.  I know wunderground has weather stations all over the city - they prob got a reading from the Mission, while weather channel is out at SFO .. or something.

The notion that a large area is going to have identical atmospheric temperature readings
throughout is untenable.  Even geographically homogenous regions without San Francisco's
climate differences are going to exhibit a small range of differences.

"It's 82 at the airport... which is stupid because I don't know anyone that lives at the airport."
-- George Carlin

"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Not Cool, Not Funny Stuff on the Internet
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2014, 07:50:41 PM »
Pet Peeve of the Week: as if watching the Weather Channel on TV isn't painful enuf, their website is truly hideous, chockablock with sensational headlines (Landslide Horror! Deadly Outbreak! etc) and of course tons of clickbait "listicles". I go there to find out what the temperature is and I immediately want to take a shower.
Weather Channel proper has gone off the rails as far as I'm concerned, so not surprised that their website is more of the same. The numerous TLC-style tabloid shows drive me nuts; I just want to see the weather.  Of course the only time people would tune in for more than a couple minutes is during hurricane season or when there's a blizzard on the east coast.

I use Weather Underground for my weather needs (wunderground.com) and have no complaints. Their app rocks it, too.
at this moment, three different weather sites:

WeatherChannel - SF 65 degrees
AccuWeather -  SF 71 degrees
WeatherUndergound - SF 73 degrees.

Given that it's been overcast all day, I'm guessing it's towards the lower end of that spectrum
SF's microclimates can produce wild swings in current temps at any given time.  I know wunderground has weather stations all over the city - they prob got a reading from the Mission, while weather channel is out at SFO .. or something.

The notion that a large area is going to have identical atmospheric temperature readings
throughout is untenable.  Even geographically homogenous regions without San Francisco's
climate differences are going to exhibit a small range of differences.

"It's 82 at the airport... which is stupid because I don't know anyone that lives at the airport."
-- George Carlin

Let me bore you with one more thing.  Nature is exceedingly lumpy.  Instead of a smooth Photoshop gradient, the air is full of small homogenous layers.  It's called laminar flow.  But, I also believe the measuring devices are probably not that well calibrated either.

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!