Main Discussion Area > Stream of Consciousness

Copyedit 101

<< < (2/36) > >>

RGMike:

--- Quote from: "urth" ---
--- Quote from: "RGMike" ---I didn't know where else to put this, but it is language-related, so...

Is "gi-normous" now officially a real word?  I've heard it used in 3 different commercials lately, and just now an astronomer, no less, used it on "Countdown" (Keith Olbermann was asking him about that big supernova that's in the news).
--- End quote ---

Sad to say, but I think it is. I found it listed on the Oxford dictionary site.
--- End quote ---

yup, it's official:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/07/10/national/a114035D37.DTL&tsp=1

urth:

--- Quote from: "RGMike" ---
--- Quote from: "urth" ---
--- Quote from: "RGMike" ---I didn't know where else to put this, but it is language-related, so...

Is "gi-normous" now officially a real word?  I've heard it used in 3 different commercials lately, and just now an astronomer, no less, used it on "Countdown" (Keith Olbermann was asking him about that big supernova that's in the news).
--- End quote ---

Sad to say, but I think it is. I found it listed on the Oxford dictionary site.
--- End quote ---

yup, it's official:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/07/10/national/a114035D37.DTL&tsp=1
--- End quote ---

Well, language is supposed to be fluid. Even when it's dumb.

Lightnin' Rod:
So I'm reading this article about the Golf channel broadcaster who thought it would be funny to suggest lynching Tiger Woods:

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/7651694?MSNHPHCP?gt1=10838

This line in the article caught my eye:

"The Golf Channel said it received a limited number of complaints regarding the comment."

Well, obviously it was a limited number, because the only other choices are none and infinite.  The first is possible, the second not.  For that matter, how can the Golf Channel "say" anything?  A Golf Channel spokesman might.

Anyway, seems like shoddy writing by Fox sports, which shouldn't come as too big a surprise.  I was wondering what our resident copy-editors might think...

Lightnin' Rod:
BTW, you copyeditor types might be interested in this season's "The Wire" on HBO.  In this the fifth and final season, they are focusing on the media and the decline of the daily newspaper.  In the season premier we learned that you can evacuate a building, but you can't evacuate people.  Well, you can, but it's messy...

Really, anyone not yet on "The Wire" bandwagon, rent the DVDs from season one on, catch up, and climb aboard.  Truly great TV.

mshray:

--- Quote from: Rod on January 09, 2008, 09:27:58 AM ---BTW, you copyeditor types might be interested in this season's "The Wire" on HBO.  In this the fifth and final season, they are focusing on the media and the decline of the daily newspaper.  In the season premier we learned that you can evacuate a building, but you can't evacuate people.  Well, you can, but it's messy...

Really, anyone not yet on "The Wire" bandwagon, rent the DVDs from season one on, catch up, and climb aboard.  Truly great TV.

--- End quote ---

Big article on it in the latest Newsweek, which I read last night.  Will definitely be in my Netflix queue soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version