Author Topic: Copyedit 101  (Read 80417 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Copyedit 101
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
Sorry to pile on SFGate, TC, but there's a glitch on your front door:  The "Don't Miss" links right below the banner include one to this article about the new Sweetwater Music Hall in Mill Valley, dated today's date.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/01/23/DD4F1MR3A8.DTL

Only thing is, the article won't be live until 3am Wednesday morning. You can view the pictures, but no written content.

I had the same experience on Saturday with Sunday's Radio Waves column, although at least that link was buried on the TV & Radio page, and I had gone looking for it. Posting links to articles that aren't live = Bad user experience.

the Don't Miss link is a mistake, obviously.  "Don't Miss! (click)  Oh, too late, you missed it.. sucker!"

The Radio Waves one is not a mistake.  It's supposed to entice you to pay for a product.   Looks like it didn't work on you.. dang.
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2012, 10:39:22 PM »
Why??? This error is new to me.  Posted on FB by one of my friends, should be good riddance, posted as "...and good riddens."
This stuff KILLS me.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »
Why??? This error is new to me.  Posted on FB by one of my friends, should be good riddance, posted as "...and good riddens."
This stuff KILLS me.

Yup, that's a new one on me, too, and I look for that kinda shit all the time.  But now that it's reared its ugly head once, I'm betting it shows up again. And again.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2012, 10:12:29 AM »
This stuff KILLS me.

Yup, that's a new one on me, too, and I look for that kinda shit all the time.  But now that it's reared its ugly head once, I'm betting it shows up again. And again.

Facebook needs spellcheck.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
This stuff KILLS me.

Facebook needs spellcheck.

It seems to have it on my laptop. Not on my phone, though.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »
From a comment on a Yahoo! article:

...surly you jest....(dont call me surly) i love that line.lol,now look are you smoking that purple Yahoo! kush

i love that typo,lol,don't bogart that purple kush or I'll really get surly
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
Just noticed this typo in the video carousel on SFGate's front page:

"Selena Gomez Celebrates Her 118th Birthday"

My, she's aged well....

(To be fair, I'd guess these heds are fed by the same third-party provider that serves the video feeds.)

Let's get right to it.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
From the world's worst Facebook thread comes this awesome use of an apostrophe in a plural (my most hated grammatical error):

"The 49er's won the Super Bowl, the DVD was introduced to the world, and we first heard 'No Soup For You!' It's 1995 on today's 10@10 with Renee!"
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
From the world's worst Facebook thread

No kidding. It's almost remarkable how pathetic it is. I'm sorry for giving her the idea.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »
The amusing Peter Hartlaub piece on SFGate today, about how the events in "Red Dawn" could never happen (because we're, like, smart'n'stuff) contained the following sentence:

"That's a lot of disbelief to suspend — the idea that a economically struggling country of 24 million could submit a technically superior country that occupies 3.79 million square miles. I would argue the PRK's ability to occupy Millbrae, much less all of the United States."

I commented that the sentence needed a grammatical makeover: "For 'submit', substitute 'subjugate' and for 'argue', substitute 'dispute' and then maybe that sentence will make sense."

Hartlaub replied that to "submit" someone or something is an MMA term that ought to be in everyday use.  So, we're looking to MMA to improve the language now?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2012, 04:06:37 PM »
The amusing Peter Hartlaub piece on SFGate today, about how the events in "Red Dawn" could never happen (because we're, like, smart'n'stuff) contained the following sentence:

"That's a lot of disbelief to suspend — the idea that a economically struggling country of 24 million could submit a technically superior country that occupies 3.79 million square miles. I would argue the PRK's ability to occupy Millbrae, much less all of the United States."

I commented that the sentence needed a grammatical makeover: "For 'submit', substitute 'subjugate' and for 'argue', substitute 'dispute' and then maybe that sentence will make sense."

Hartlaub replied that to "submit" someone or something is an MMA term that ought to be in everyday use.  So, we're looking to MMA to improve the language now?

Better than the WWF, fwiw.  ;)   Strange usage, though.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »

also

"....that a economically struggling..."

should be

"...that an economically struggling..."
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2012, 06:05:40 PM »

also

"....that a economically struggling..."

should be

"...that an economically struggling..."

Props to Hartlaub, tho', for reading the comments section on his articles. LaSalle used to claim that he never did (I think he does now)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »
question I've always meant to ask: did the word "disambiguation" exist before Wikipedia? or did they invent it?