Author Topic: 29 Dec 2006: Year-O-Mystery (1974)  (Read 5728 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
29 Dec 2006: Year-O-Mystery (1974)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 10:37:26 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
will we get a Ford-pardoning-Nixon clip too?

The other night when Ford died, I was switching around the channels, and FOX trotted out their usual suspects (Fred Barnes, Mort Kondracke, etc), and Every. Single. One. appeared to be reading from the same script, making a point of saying that pardoning Nixon was "the right thing to do" -- knowing full well that virtually every other Ford obit would be calling that one of his biggest mistakes.

I've seen/heard that observation in a number of the obits I've come across. Is it really seen that way, or just a bit of GOP revisionism?
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Set Phasers on Stun!
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 10:38:25 AM »
one of my favorite songs with heavy phasing.  Great bassline too!
Roxy Music

I always see the radio in the lab at the satellite factory when I hear this song.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 10:39:21 AM »
proxy of cairo, That Sexy Voice.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 10:39:21 AM »
Just read back thru the accounts of the rest of this morning's sets, and it seems like a number of artists are making multiple appearances. Patti, Todd, and now Roxy.

BOS to TR and TSV.
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 10:41:17 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
will we get a Ford-pardoning-Nixon clip too?

The other night when Ford died, I was switching around the channels, and FOX trotted out their usual suspects (Fred Barnes, Mort Kondracke, etc), and Every. Single. One. appeared to be reading from the same script, making a point of saying that pardoning Nixon was "the right thing to do" -- knowing full well that virtually every other Ford obit would be calling that one of his biggest mistakes.

I've seen/heard that observation in a number of the obits I've come across. Is it really seen that way, or just a bit of GOP revisionism?

Me too.  I think it was in the Merc that they commented something to the effect of "even his greatest critics came around to believe the pardon was a good idea".  Personally, it seems like a crime went unpunished, and even allowed Nixon to become a respected elder statesman.  Can't really say how bad that effect was.

In other news, nice work Geoff!  And damn, this is a really great song from Roxy Music.  Reminds me of David Bowie's "Stay".  That would be a great twin-spin (though I don't know what year Stay came out...)
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 10:41:40 AM »
Just read back thru the accounts of the rest of this morning's sets, and it seems like a number of artists are making multiple appearances. Patti, Todd, and now Roxy.

BOS to TR and TSV.

if there's any chance you can catch The Peak's '75 replay tonite, do so.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Speaking of Phil Manzanera
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 10:41:53 AM »
was tempted to pickup Diamond Head at Amoeba the other day, and just discovered Phi's been playing with David Gilmour for a while.  Two very atmospheric guitarists!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 10:45:06 AM »

BOS to TR and TSV.

if there's any chance you can catch The Peak's '75 replay tonite, do so.

Alas, not a chance. I'm heading up to Winters to see the Hacienda Brothers. But it did look pretty great--thanks for the tip.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 10:49:01 AM »
damn I totally missed Dickie Goodman due to buffering problems. Our connectivity issues are mostly resolved, but there are a few lingering (and annoying) snags.