Author Topic: 8 Nov 2006--it's 1985  (Read 7901 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 10:29:05 AM »
It sounds better than usual today, but I still have to give a WOS vote to "All She Wants to Do Is Dance."  In part because he commits one of my pet peeves, rhyming a word with itself: "Don't come back here Yankee/But if I ever do/I'll bring more money/Cause all she wants to do..."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 10:29:08 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "Davefish"
Never mind about 10at10, Rumsfeld is stepping down!  This is a good day, amigos.

It's a perfect way to make the girls (and boys) go crazy!

Watching Bush at the podium now.  Hard to not slip into Schadenfreude.

I'm curious to see how the GOP will try to spin this one.

He's been predictably defensive, no jaw-dropper quotes of note so far, but he keeps reverting to the same spin quote for Rummy's departure: "fresh perspective."  He attributed the GOP losses to impatience with Iraq and a few unethical sens/reps (paraphrased).  Jim Rutenberg of the NYT just asked him point blank if we'll see a change in his leadership style, and he's incapable of anaylzing these winds of change at a level deeper than "they won, and so we've gotta work with 'em."

The Chron's Marc Sandalow has an interesting take on the Virginia US senate race--says it might be in the Dems' best interest if they lost--a 50/50 split would keep Cheney glued to the podium to vote on any ties, and force Bush to take a high profile stand on any major issues.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=14&entry_id=10665
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 10:29:56 AM »
Henley and another song rife with Rummy references.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Henley and another song rife with Rummy references.

Henley wrote this song about Reagan's foreign policy, but it could just as easily be about Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld today.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 10:33:15 AM »
what started promisingly has become a parade of the Usual Suspects. Enjoyable, certainly, but Rob's '85 set earlier today was light-years ahead of this one.  Makes me wanna  :cry:

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 10:33:49 AM »
...and with my 6000th post, I'd like to dedicate this Godley & Creme song to Anne Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Pat Robertson, et al.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 10:37:28 AM »
Segueing from Back to the Future to Foreigner didn't work.  But the song is a sledgehammer of sorts for me, or at least one of the songs I remember most vividly in '85.  "Easy Lover" was out at the same time IIRC, with "We Built This City" following soon after.  I was listening to a LOT of Top 40 radio at this time, including Casey's Weekly (and dude, thanks for the tip on the AT40 rebroadcasts on satellite, I hope to check those out!).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 10:37:55 AM »
my favorite line from a movie chock full of 'em...

"There's that word again, 'Heavy'.  Why is everything so heavy in the future?  Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?"

Can't even say why that slays me, but it does.

VHM Foreigner.  Showing Styx the right way to do a power ballad.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 10:38:32 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
...and with my 6000th post, I'd like to dedicate this Godley & Creme song to Anne Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Pat Robertson, et al.

Happy 6000!  I'll be passing the 5000 barrier by mid-month.  Amused that you're 16.66% more verbose than me.   :D

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 10:40:09 AM »

Happy 6000!  I'll be passing the 5000 barrier by mid-month.  Amused that you're 16.66% more verbose than me.   :D

Between Mike & I we have more than 1/2 of all posts, but by himself he has more than 1/3.  So what's verbose squared?

Math pedant:  I'm 20% more verbose than you, you're 16.66% less verbose than I am.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 10:41:12 AM »
Segueing from Back to the Future to Foreigner didn't work.  But the song is a sledgehammer of sorts for me, or at least one of the songs I remember most vividly in '85.  "Easy Lover" was out at the same time IIRC, with "We Built This City" following soon after.  I was listening to a LOT of Top 40 radio at this time, including Casey's Weekly (and dude, thanks for the tip on the AT40 rebroadcasts on satellite, I hope to check those out!).

BOS3 to this, a superb power ballad (obviously the gospel choir helps).  LOVE the dance mix of the Wynonna cover version from a year or so back.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 10:41:39 AM »
It sounds better than usual today, but I still have to give a WOS vote to "All She Wants to Do Is Dance."  In part because he commits one of my pet peeves, rhyming a word with itself: "Don't come back here Yankee/But if I ever do/I'll bring more money/Cause all she wants to do..."

I don't take the second incidence of "do" as a rhyme with the first--it just doesn't fit with the meter of the verse--the last line doesn't really rhyme with anything. (A case could be made that "all she wants to do is dance" is intended to rhyme with itself though.) Here's the entire lyrics for your analysis:

They're pickin up the prisoners
And puttin em in a pen
And all she wants to do is dance, dance
Rebels been rebels
Since I don't know when
And all she wants to do is dance
Molotov cocktail the local drink
They mix em up right
In the kitchen sink
Crazy people walkin round with blood in their eyes
And all she wants to do is dance, dance, dance
Wild-eyed pistols wavers who ain't afraid to die
And make romance
She can't feel the heat
Comin off the street
She wants to party
She wants to get down
All she wants to do is
All she wants to do is dance
Well the government bugged the men's room
In the local disco lounge
To keep the boys from sellin
All the weapons they could scrounge
But that don't keep the boys from makin a buck or two
The still can sell the army
All the drugs that they can do
And all she wants to do is
And make romance
Well we barely make the airport
For the test plane out
As we taxied down the runway
I could hear the people shout
The said, "don't come back here Yankee"
But if I ever do
I'll bring more money
Cause all she wants to do is dance
And make romance
Never mind the heat
Comin off the street
She wants to party
She wants to get down
All she wants to do is
And make romance
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 10:43:10 AM »
BOS Julian.  This is a zeitgeist track for me, listening to this LP in the little loft apartment I shared with my first serious girlfriend, situated directly above the local Domino's franchise serving our college.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

I don't take the second incidence of "do" as a rhyme with the first--it just doesn't fit with the meter of the verse--the last line doesn't really rhyme with anything. (A case could be made that "all she wants to do is dance" is intended to rhyme with itself though.)

thanks for the lyrics -- one of Henley's better efforts on a really superb album.

people complained about Foreigner today but not about "Babe" yesterday?? WTF???

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Nov 2006--it's 1985
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 10:46:10 AM »
BOS Julian.  This is a zeitgeist track for me, listening to this LP in the little loft apartment I shared with my first serious girlfriend, situated directly above the local Domino's franchise serving our college.

My favorites from that album were "Valotte" and "Jesse," though the latter hasn't aged well.  "Say You're Wrong" was pretty cool too.