Author Topic: 18 Sept 2006: 1980  (Read 9115 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
18 Sept 2006: 1980
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2006, 09:39:54 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
I don't think I ever caught this line in "I Wanna Be Your Lover" until tonight:  
"I wanna be the only one you come for."

I also find that hard to believe -- it was pretty much the most famous thing about the song when it was a hit back in those pre-Nipplegate FCC days.

Note that he precedes it (and partially neuters it) with "I wanna be the one who makes you come... runnin'".

Prince wasn't getting airplay in Seattle until 1982, I don't think.  Anyway that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it.

Same was true of Prince in Pittsburgh; for all I knew, "1999" was his debut single.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2006, 09:44:48 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
I don't think I ever caught this line in "I Wanna Be Your Lover" until tonight:  
"I wanna be the only one you come for."

I also find that hard to believe -- it was pretty much the most famous thing about the song when it was a hit back in those pre-Nipplegate FCC days.

Note that he precedes it (and partially neuters it) with "I wanna be the one who makes you come... runnin'".

Prince wasn't getting airplay in Seattle until 1982, I don't think.  Anyway that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it.

Same was true of Prince in Pittsburgh; for all I knew, "1999" was his debut single.

This is quite interesting; it was Top Ten in NY and even notoriously conservative WABC played it (uncensored).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2006, 11:13:14 AM »
Either we had a bunch of long sets this week or they started the marathon at 7:30 rather than 7 (not unheard of). It's 10 after 11 and there's still three songs to go in the last set. Good array of songs this week, which is particularly remarkable considering that last week was well above par, too. Like Mark & Ali, I woke up during the '75 set, then heard most of the '77 and '80 sets. Had hoped to hear yesterday's 1970 set again, but as seems to be the norm, the Friday set probably led off the marathon.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2006, 02:00:52 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Either we had a bunch of long sets this week or they started the marathon at 7:30 rather than 7 (not unheard of). It's 10 after 11 and there's still three songs to go in the last set. Good array of songs this week, which is particularly remarkable considering that last week was well above par, too. Like Mark & Ali, I woke up during the '75 set, then heard most of the '77 and '80 sets. Had hoped to hear yesterday's 1970 set again, but as seems to be the norm, the Friday set probably led off the marathon.

Actually I woke up at 7:00, left the house at 8:15 & got to the office in the middle of the '75 set.  Working on a Saturday because the CEO & my least favorite of his underlings are showing up tomorrow night.  So I got some reports to wrap up, etc.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2006, 10:18:11 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

Actually I woke up at 7:00, left the house at 8:15 & got to the office in the middle of the '75 set.  Working on a Saturday because the CEO & my least favorite of his underlings are showing up tomorrow night.  So I got some reports to wrap up, etc.

Believe it or not, '85 was first (start time around 7:10) followed by70-75-77-80.  The sets were a bit longer this week -- closer to 45+ min than the usual 40 or less. Of course, I was in bed for the first 2, drifting in & out of consciousness.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round