Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KRSH/VIP/LNG etc week of 7/31/06  (Read 26690 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
CG/KPOO/KRSH/VIP/LNG etc week of 7/31/06
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »
New to me: Erma Franklin's version of "Light My Fire", sort of a soul-gospel take on the Jose Feliciano arrangement (or maybe he cribbed from her; dunno which came first).  Very cool.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2006, 03:18:46 PM »
wow, Angela Clemmons '80s remake of "Give Me Just a Little More Time", which I haven't heard since back then.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
24 hours of the PIG
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2006, 09:27:21 PM »
left town yesterday to my brother's wedding (3rd) today in Cambria.  So, KPIG-AM from SF to somewhere in the SJ area.  KPIG-FM as we blew by Salinas, and KPYG-FM in Morro Bay and Cambria!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 24 hours of the PIG
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2006, 10:59:11 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
left town yesterday to my brother's wedding (3rd) today in Cambria.  So, KPIG-AM from SF to somewhere in the SJ area.  KPIG-FM as we blew by Salinas, and KPYG-FM in Morro Bay and Cambria!

Oh to be able to hear them in stereo!

Woke up to KPIG this morning. I've been looking for ages for a countrified Herb Pedersen cover of "Paperback Writer" I remember playing in college radio.  Long out of print, but there it was on KPIG!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 24 hours of the PIG, AM-Stereo
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Woke up to KPIG this morning. I've been looking for ages for a countrified Herb Pedersen cover of "Paperback Writer" I remember playing in college radio.  Long out of print, but there it was on KPIG!

from time-to-time, KPIG-AM sounds like a channel is missing, and it really irks me, and I've called the station twice.  The last time, the DJ was really enthusiastic about Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks 2nd version of "I Scare Myself" and the violin solo was deeply buried, like it was on a missing channel.  The DJ said it was because I didn't have an AM Stereo radio!  What's up with that?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2006, 07:22:36 PM »

from time-to-time, KPIG-AM sounds like a channel is missing, and it really irks me, and I've called the station twice.  The last time, the DJ was really enthusiastic about Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks 2nd version of "I Scare Myself" and the violin solo was deeply buried, like it was on a missing channel.  The DJ said it was because I didn't have an AM Stereo radio!  What's up with that?

not having AM stereo should not affect your hearing both channels, afaik. When they first started broadcasting on 1510 a year ago, they were feeding one channel to the transmitter (and one channel from the internet version, to boot) but I was under the impression that was rectified.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2006, 09:45:41 PM »
Little Steven's "Freak of the Week" tonite is Little Richard, and instead of something obvious, he played Richard's cover of "Brown Sugar", which is a new one on me -- he changes "How come you dance so good" to "...taste so good". DAY-um! Oh, and this is cute --as part of this tribute-to-Little Richard set, he's playing "Drag City." ROTFL!

TANC: I brought some garage-rock mix tapes that I made some 18 years ago to the gym today -- lots of Nuggets stuff and the like.  So far Steven has played 3 songs from those tapes in his show -- and we're only 40 minutes in! ("Psychotic Reaction", "Bend Me Shape Me" and "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man".)

ETA: yet another new-to-me obscurity from Steven: Nancy Sinatra's cover of the Beatles' "Run For Your Life"!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2006, 11:12:12 PM »

not having AM stereo should not affect your hearing both channels, afaik. When they first started broadcasting on 1510 a year ago, they were feeding one channel to the transmitter (and one channel from the internet version, to boot) but I was under the impression that was rectified.

I agree, it sounds fishy to me, but sometimes it's clearly wrong, a channel is missing!