Author Topic: RIP Jack Warden  (Read 6408 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 03:39:05 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I would find it highly entertaining for Kenny J to be a regular here.  At least for the first week or two.

Another of his blog posts was centered on the Troll under the Aurora Bridge in Seattle, which gave him an excuse to post the lyrics to a Fine Fresh Fellows song about said bridge, correctiing the fact that the lyrics weren't previously on the web anywhere.  That makes me think he might actually fit in here fairly well.

(hey, how do I show a picture of the troll in this space if it's just on my C drive?)

Yes, there is indeed a troll under the Aurora Bridge in Seattle. There's also one on the Bay Bridge, in the section that was replaced after Loma Prieta in '89. Courtesy of some well-meaning ironworkers.

That's Young Fresh Fellows. And if Ken Jennings knows of their existence, he may not be such a pinhead after all.

Re posting a pic on the web from your hard drive: I think you'd have to get it uploaded to a server of some kind, i.e. Photobucket or other photo storage site, then use the URL of wherever the photo is living to post your pic.

Sorry Urth, semi-deliberate slip of the tongue, except my friend Steve is the only one who also calls them that & I forgot to edit my thoughts for this forum.  Jennings not only didn't get their name wrong, but if his blog ever comes back to life you can see that he had the lyrics to this song, which discusses many other Seattle fixtures, close to hand & then offered the lyrics in an annotated form for those who don't know their way around town like a native.  It was this clear evidence that he is a true Seattlite at heart that warmed me to him.  

I have a nice pic of the Aurora Bridge Troll that I took last May (you can clearly make out the VW bug being gripped in its left hand) that I wanted to share, but remains to be seen if it's worth that much effort.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 03:51:13 PM »
I managed to get into his site just now, here's today's blog.

July 25, 2006
Sense of humor, meet Michael Starr
I woke up to this New York Post piece this morning. If you don’t want to read it, I can sum up for you: I’m ungrateful to be snarkily ripping on Jeopardy! in my blog entry of last week. How dare I? They made me!

I’ve met Michael Starr a couple times, and he always seemed like a nice enough guy. Which leaves me wondering: does he know how asinine this non-story is? Despite working for the Post, I’m sure his reading comprehension is just fine. He knows there’s no way I was genuinely calling for angry bees and ventriloquist’s dummies to be added to the Jeopardy! format. It’s a humor piece, and one which gets its laughs from the outrageous non sequiturs it proposes, not the ripeness of its target for criticism. For the record: I’ve loved Jeopardy! since I was a kid, as anyone who talks to me for about five minutes knows*. Making goofy jokes about TV shows isn’t “bashing.” I believe it’s the whole reason Al Gore invented the Internet**.

I am grateful to Michael for the extra web traffic this morning***, but not for the humor-impaired sock puppet users who showed up on the message board this morning to either defend Jeopardy! or make trouble, I can’t tell which. In any case, they’ve (he’s?) violated several of our posting guidelines, and the threads will be removed shortly. I welcome reasoned disagreement on a blog entry’s strengths and flaws, but this wasn’t it.

*This is in fact made explicit in the 'offending' blog in question.
**See, he really does have a well developed sense of humor.
***But not so grateful that he didn't edit this blog entry in the meantime.  The faux-correction bit, noted in the AP wire, about Trebek being a cyborg, not a robot, along with a few other sentences, are notably absent now.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 06:46:26 AM »
This is now the second-longest obit thread on this board (behind only Gilligan).  Thanks, Ken?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
This is now the second-longest obit thread on this board (behind only Gilligan).  Thanks, Ken?

Back to Jack Warden,
per imdb, Jack Warden was born John H. Lebzelter (German for "honey-cake baker")
FWIW
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 09:12:41 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

Back to Jack Warden,
per imdb, Jack Warden was born John H. Lebzelter (German for "honey-cake baker")
FWIW

Ken already knew that...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 09:25:47 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "Alicat"

Back to Jack Warden,
FWIW

Ken already knew that...

*RIMSHOT!*
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round