Author Topic: RIP Jack Warden  (Read 6407 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« on: July 23, 2006, 06:18:55 PM »
I somehow missed this this other day:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/15094573.htm
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:53:30 AM »
Top favorite Jack Warden moments for me:  Juror 7 in Twelve Angry Men, the suicidial judge in ...And Justice for All, the President in Being There, and Saul the jewish friend-of-the-family in While You Were Sleeping.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:00:37 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Top favorite Jack Warden moments for me:  Juror 7 in Twelve Angry Men, the suicidial judge in ...And Justice for All, the President in Being There, and Saul the jewish friend-of-the-family in While You Were Sleeping.

mine: that ridiculous "crazy like a fox," and his appearance as the owl in the television musical, "alice in wonderland."

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 10:40:37 AM »
I happened to check that Ken Jennings blog (http://www.ken-jennings.com/blog/) & he had this to say:

July 22, 2006
One angry man
Reading about Jack Warden’s death yesterday made me sad. Just a few weeks ago, I’d been watching Bulworth, and even though many of Warden’s scenes in that movie appear to have been whittled down to near-incomprehensibility in the editing room, he’s still great in it.

But there are two silver linings to Mr. Warden’s passing.

First, since celebrity deaths are often said to come in threes, it completes last week’s aging-character-actor death trio, which had already claimed Barnard Hughes and Red Buttons. Charles Durning, Karl Malden, Ernest Borgnine…you can again sleep soundly. It tolls not for thee. This time.

Secondly, Warden’s death means that Jack Klugman wins the 12 Angry Men tontine! (Assuming, of course, there was a 12 Angry Men tontine.) Way to go, Juror #5! You weren’t the youngest (Robert Webber and John Fielder were younger) and you weren’t always the healthiest (throat cancer almost killed Klugman in the 1990s) but you outlasted them all. Somewhere, Tony Randall is smiling.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 10:43:42 AM »
I happened to check that Ken Jennings blog (http://www.ken-jennings.com/blog/) & he had this to say:

July 22, 2006
One angry man
Reading about Jack Warden’s death yesterday made me sad. Just a few weeks ago, I’d been watching Bulworth, and even though many of Warden’s scenes in that movie appear to have been whittled down to near-incomprehensibility in the editing room, he’s still great in it.

First, since celebrity deaths are often said to come in threes, it completes last week’s aging-character-actor death trio, which had already claimed Barnard Hughes and Red Buttons. Charles Durning, Karl Malden, Ernest Borgnine…you can again sleep soundly. It tolls not for thee. This time.

Secondly, Warden’s death means that Jack Klugman wins the 12 Angry Men tontine! (Assuming, of course, there was a 12 Angry Men tontine.) Way to go, Juror #5! You weren’t the youngest (Robert Webber and John Fielder were younger) and you weren’t always the healthiest (throat cancer almost killed Klugman in the 1990s) but you outlasted them all. Somewhere, Tony Randall is smiling.

That Jennings guy is one weird dude.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 10:45:52 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

July 22, 2006
One angry man

wow. he certainly is.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »

I thought that "Charles Durning, Karl Malden, Ernest Borgnine" line was inspired, and perfect for our fourm here.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:15:15 AM »

I thought that "Charles Durning, Karl Malden, Ernest Borgnine" line was inspired, and perfect for our fourm here.

i thought that was fine. it was the tontine bit that got me thinking he had too much (clap-clap) time on his hands.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 11:18:08 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

i thought that was fine. it was the tontine bit that got me thinking he had too much (clap-clap) time on his hands.

Now look what you've done! Tommy Shaw wants a residual.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 12:16:20 PM »

Beyond TANC:  as if to prove the point...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2006/07/25/entertainment/e115456D45.DTL&type=entertainment

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 12:22:10 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2006/07/25/entertainment/e115456D45.DTL&type=entertainment

maybe we can invite him to join our clubhouse when his blog burns down. he can answer all of ginger's questions.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »

maybe we can invite him to join our clubhouse when his blog burns down. he can answer all of ginger's questions.

I would find it highly entertaining for Kenny J to be a regular here.  At least for the first week or two.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 01:34:45 PM »

Well thanks to the AP, his Blog does seem to have crashed (you get a message saying "This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota").  I was just looking at it a couple of hours ago, post KFOG, and it was fine.  

It's interesting to me that
A) nobody seems to be able to understand parody when they see it, (unless maybe it's on The Onion),
B) The AP has this as breaking news when KJ blogged that last week,  
C) Today's blog entry was about how somebody else with no sense of humor had gotten all bent out of shape about it, and
D) Since the AP item quotes the last sentence in today's blog (and the only one where he tried to be funny again) you'd think they might have read the rest of KJ's careful statement that he still loves Jeopardy! & was just having some fun.

It's not easy to get me feeling all sympathetic towards a Mormon, good job Mr.-nameless-AP-writer!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 01:46:16 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I would find it highly entertaining for Kenny J to be a regular here.  At least for the first week or two.

Another of his blog posts was centered on the Troll under the Aurora Bridge in Seattle, which gave him an excuse to post the lyrics to a Fine Fresh Fellows song about said bridge, correctiing the fact that the lyrics weren't previously on the web anywhere.  That makes me think he might actually fit in here fairly well.

(hey, how do I show a picture of the troll in this space if it's just on my C drive?)

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Jack Warden
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 02:25:50 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Another of his blog posts was centered on the Troll under the Aurora Bridge in Seattle, which gave him an excuse to post the lyrics to a Fine Fresh Fellows song about said bridge, correctiing the fact that the lyrics weren't previously on the web anywhere.  That makes me think he might actually fit in here fairly well.

(hey, how do I show a picture of the troll in this space if it's just on my C drive?)

Yes, there is indeed a troll under the Aurora Bridge in Seattle. There's also one on the Bay Bridge, in the section that was replaced after Loma Prieta in '89. Courtesy of some well-meaning ironworkers.

That's Young Fresh Fellows. And if Ken Jennings knows of their existence, he may not be such a pinhead after all.

Re posting a pic on the web from your hard drive: I think you'd have to get it uploaded to a server of some kind, i.e. Photobucket or other photo storage site, then use the URL of wherever the photo is living to post your pic.
Let's get right to it.