Author Topic: Tuesday Feb 15, 2005--1979  (Read 23313 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Tuesday Feb 15, 2005--1979
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2005, 10:37:16 AM »
In the Long Run... a fine set.  2 in a row, actually. But we're overdue for '96...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2005, 10:38:42 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
by all calculations, john just lost 20 cents with that airplay.

I'm so glad this stuff is coming out.  Allegedly, among the albums that have never recouped are TLC's "CrazySexyCool," Mr. Mister's "Welcome to the Real World," and the Backstreet Boys' self-titled debut.  A sickened and often sickening industry, the music biz is.

john said he was driving around manhattan once with a couple of playboy bunnies - probably around 1979 - and he looked up at the displays in times square to see a gigantic poster promoting the babys album. he scratched his head, and thought, "whose idea was that? it must have cost a fortune!"

the band still hasn't paid off that bill.

Can I relate this story to another mailing list I'm on that directly addresses these kinds of issues?  I think I can make John's tales part of a larger and more effectual dialogue.

sure, just don't include the last line "the band still hasn't..." - that's my personal commentary. i'm certain it must be true, though, since he said the band paid for everything. they received huge advances, of course, blew those on playboy bunnies, then were stuck with mountains of bills from all the promotional work the record company had approved. the band was never consulted on how that money was to be spent, of course.

he also said he called chrysalis awhile ago to find out how much money they owed him, and was told there had been a fire in the accounting department, and his file was gone. strangely, they still knew that he owes them one million dollars.[/b]

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2005, 10:41:03 AM »
BOS3: Chic. My fave single of theirs.

"Try my love and see how well it fits" Do tell!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2005, 10:43:33 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

yeah, i'd probably have to say it's my fav, too. though i'm not too fond of chic.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2005, 10:48:41 AM »

yeah, i'd probably have to say it's my fav, too. though i'm not too fond of chic.

In fact, I like it because it seems the least Chic-ish. I always found their clipped, affected delivery kind of annoying, and much preferred their oustide productions (Sis Sledge, Diana).

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2005, 10:49:10 AM »
In the Long Run... a fine set.  2 in a row, actually. But we're overdue for '96...

Yep, we've had several decent sets of late from years that are usually snoozers (the 1988 set with George Harrison and the 'Mats a week or so back also springs to mind).

But I'm starting to wonder if Dave didn't add a new year to the wheel this year. Seems like we usually hear the newly-added year within the first week or two of January, and then not again for the entire rest of the year. Here it is mid-Feb and nary a hint of 1996.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2005, 10:52:43 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Yep, we've had several decent sets of late from years that are usually snoozers (the 1988 set with George Harrison and the 'Mats a week or so back also springs to mind).

But I'm starting to wonder if Dave didn't add a new year to the wheel this year. Seems like we usually hear the newly-added year within the first week or two of January, and then not again for the entire rest of the year. Here it is mid-Feb and nary a hint of 1996.

He said in early January that "we WILL be adding a new year to the wheel" so I'm assuming it's coming... eventually. But yeah, this is the latest it's ever been.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2005, 10:53:19 AM »
OK kids... I'm heading to Smooth FM for a while...

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2005, 10:53:19 AM »

In fact, I like it because it seems the least Chic-ish. I always found their clipped, affected delivery kind of annoying, and much preferred their oustide productions (Sis Sledge, Diana).

that makes sense.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
clueless in Gaza
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2005, 11:01:36 AM »
double dose of mike today!!
bos: kenny loggins!!!!!!!!
Good god almighty. This is it, alright.  Too many people saw this as a call to arms (as in, "Nuke Iran") for me to remember it fondly.
There I go again!  I never put that together. I just didn't like it because it was Kenny Loggins!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
thinking of Gaz
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2005, 11:04:07 AM »
WOS, Rockpile.  Literally unlistenable: I'm off to lunch.
It's not Rockpile, it's Edmunds solo. Not that YOU care...
You go Mike!  Can't let him get away scot free!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: clueless in Gaza
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2005, 11:06:25 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
double dose of mike today!!
bos: kenny loggins!!!!!!!!
Good god almighty. This is it, alright.  Too many people saw this as a call to arms (as in, "Nuke Iran") for me to remember it fondly.
There I go again!  I never put that together. I just didn't like it because it was Kenny Loggins!

Well it's a bit less obvious than, say, "Coward of the County", but some saw lyrics like "comes a time in every life" to mean "it's time to stand up, dammit!" even tho' the song was probably written before the hostages were taken.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: clueless in Gaza
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2005, 11:07:23 AM »

Well it's a bit less obvious than, say, "Coward of the County", but some saw lyrics like "comes a time in every life" to mean "it's time to stand up, dammit!" even tho' the song was probably written before the hostages were taken.

it's probably about jacob, or job, or someone like that.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Not Gaz' day
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2005, 12:33:29 PM »
Jeez, I just read over the comments on the Drive 10@10 and it seems like, between Boston and Dave Edmunds, Gaz got his sensibilities shat on twice today. Man, that's gotta suck--what are the chances? Hope the rest of the day goes better, pard.

And as for your back, sounds like you pinched a nerve. Know any good acupuncturists? Ask your friends. Fix you right up, guaranteed, just probably not covered by your insurance.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2005, 12:53:59 PM »
"my insurance"?  I haven't had insurance in over two years.  Been gambling on my health ever since, and that's not about to change in the next six months ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”