Author Topic: 1 July 2016: it's... a visit to Rock'n'Roll Heaven  (Read 8069 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 1 July 2016: it's... a visit to Rock'n'Roll Heaven
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 10:47:52 PM »
perhaps the new rule is don't copy/paste the setlist unless it's been verified?  This was a strange sort of fuckup we haven't encountered before!  I simply harvested the first list sometime close to the end of the first playing.  I have no idea if the original list was actually played or not.

Notes: The "I Scare Myself" seems to be from the first album.  I just know it's not the one from "Striking It Rich."

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 10:54:54 PM »
This is a fine theme, certainly deserving of a set to honor the departed (particularly since this version of 10@10 didn't exist at the beginning of the year.)

My one quibble: In the intro DW said there would be deep tracks as well as hits. OK, I am up to track 6 and outside of the Merle Haggard tune, I can't say I've heard anything that I'd call "deep." (I suppose the Dan Hicks, simply because he was a rather "fringe" artist these last 30 years or so, but c'mon, -- I Scare Myself was his biggest hit. I call that one more "obvious" than "deep.")

ETA: And no sooner do I post that than the ELP tune starts. This I would CERTAINLY call "deep."

I do have to say however, that I give props for the Paul Kantner selection.  Paul's passing is the biggest one of the bunch for me, and "We Can Be Together" is perhaps one of the best choices for telling us who Paul really was; not some ridiculous psychedelic caricature. A good example of a song that was a big FM hit (at least on KSAN) when the record came out, but is lost in the mists of time now, radio-wise, if you don't count Sirius/SM Deep Tracks.

I also really liked the Paul Kantner audio snippet.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:10:02 PM by ggould »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 09:40:48 AM »

I have no idea if the original list was actually played or not.

Yes, it was -- I listened at around 10:30 and it was the original show with Nancy Sinatra. I posted a comment on his webpage saying she's still alive; dunno how many other people he heard from but sometime later he updated (seamlessly edited, I might add).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 11:15:58 PM »

Yes, it was -- I listened at around 10:30 and it was the original show with Nancy Sinatra. I posted a comment on his webpage saying she's still alive; dunno how many other people he heard from but sometime later he updated (seamlessly edited, I might add).

And such is the internet age we live in.  I probably would've done the same thing, but I think I would have copped to the mistake too.  Hard to say.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »
This is a fine theme, certainly deserving of a set to honor the departed (particularly since this version of 10@10 didn't exist at the beginning of the year.)

My one quibble: In the intro DW said there would be deep tracks as well as hits. OK, I am up to track 6 and outside of the Merle Haggard tune, I can't say I've heard anything that I'd call "deep." (I suppose the Dan Hicks, simply because he was a rather "fringe" artist these last 30 years or so, but c'mon, -- I Scare Myself was his biggest hit. I call that one more "obvious" than "deep.")

ETA: And no sooner do I post that than the ELP tune starts. This I would CERTAINLY call "deep."

I do have to say however, that I give props for the Paul Kantner selection.  Paul's passing is the biggest one of the bunch for me, and "We Can Be Together" is perhaps one of the best choices for telling us who Paul really was; not some ridiculous psychedelic caricature. A good example of a song that was a big FM hit (at least on KSAN) when the record came out, but is lost in the mists of time now, radio-wise, if you don't count Sirius/SM Deep Tracks.

I also really liked the Paul Kantner audio snippet.

The set did take a turn for the better starting with the ELP tune, so I just got impatient one song too soon. TChe JA/Kantner selections were probably my faves of the day as well. Pleased that he played the uncensored "up against the wall, motherfucker" original version, too.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »

And such is the internet age we live in.  I probably would've done the same thing, but I think I would have copped to the mistake too.  Hard to say.

Yeah, Dave and AL would always own whatever little screwups managed to show up in their sets, most of the time.
Let's get right to it.