Author Topic: 31 March 2016: it's... 2005 (The end of an era)  (Read 23079 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 31 March 2016: it's... 2005
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 10:29:15 AM »
And what's this about the "Evolution" coming April 20?

I heard that, too. Nary a clue. But I am guessing it doesn't have anything to do with smoking dope.

what exactly did that "Evolution" thing say? I fear a format change, tho' those don't usually happen on a Wednesday, which is what 4/20 is this year.

Just heard another one -- this one included the statement "we're still broadcasting, can anyone hear us?" so maybe this does have to do with some kind of direction change for the station. And it's now 10:28 and no sign of 10@10. Did AL walk out when she heard about whatever this Evolution thing is?
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 10:32:56 AM »
OK, this is getting weird. 10:30 and we're still hearing just the usual KFOG mix of currents and 80s hits.

ETA: 10:40 and now we're hearing the music loop that they play when ads are running. So I have to assume that 10@10 ain't happening today.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:41:09 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 10:42:33 AM »
per 'snipeville, AL said at a gathering over the weekend that they were getting a "new boss" this week.  This does not sound good.

I turned on KFOG (apx 10:35) and after a bunch of commercials I got that "Evolution" promo followed by music.

Interestingly, NoName has been absent the last couple of days but neither Renee nor Greg said where he was.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 10:45:57 AM »
per 'snipeville, AL said at a gathering over the weekend that they were getting a "new boss" this week.  This does not sound good.

I turned on KFOG (apx 10:35) and after a bunch of commercials I got that "Evolution" promo followed by music.

Interestingly, NoName has been absent the last couple of days but neither Renee nor Greg said where he was.
Oy, sounds very bad.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 10:47:46 AM »

Oy, sounds very bad.

But, as I also pointed out in G-ville, the "End of KFOG as we know it" has been predicted a few times before. Somehow it's survived so far... let's hope...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »

Oy, sounds very bad.

But, as I also pointed out in G-ville, the "End of KFOG as we know it" has been predicted a few times before. Somehow it's survived so far... let's hope...

Someone posted this on the Radio Discussions message board:

"Following the exit of Jim Richards last month, Cumulus Media has hired Brian Schock as new OM/PD at KFOG and KSAN.

Schock most recently served as interim PD/MD of AAA 102.1 KPRI San Diego, which unfortunately was sold last year. He has also programmed two legendary San Diego stations: alternative “91X” and classic rock (like KSAN) KGB. Bryan was the first on-air host and Music Director at AAA 101.9 WRXP New York when it launched in 2009, so it looks like KFOG is thankfully in good hands. "

To which I replied "dunno -- sounds like they just blew it up"

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 10:53:38 AM »
I don't really care what happens to KFOG as a whole, but if 10at10 is gone, so am I.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »
I don't really care what happens to KFOG as a whole, but if 10at10 is gone, so am I.

If the new guy is rebranding to make KFOG "younger", there is the possibility 10@10 could move to The Bone (where is is also the new PD). But I'm not hopeful.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 11:07:49 AM »

Oy, sounds very bad.

Someone posted this on the Radio Discussions message board:

"Following the exit of Jim Richards last month, Cumulus Media has hired Brian Schock as new OM/PD at KFOG and KSAN.

Schock most recently served as interim PD/MD of AAA 102.1 KPRI San Diego, which unfortunately was sold last year. He has also programmed two legendary San Diego stations: alternative “91X” and classic rock (like KSAN) KGB. Bryan was the first on-air host and Music Director at AAA 101.9 WRXP New York when it launched in 2009, so it looks like KFOG is thankfully in good hands. "

To which I replied "dunno -- sounds like they just blew it up"

This was posted on All Access (a radio industry news site) this morning. That part where the Cumulus suit says "This is a transformational time for KFOG" may be the most telling part of the article:

CUMULUS MEDIA has appointed BRYAN SCHOCK as OM/PD of Classic Rock KSAN (THE BONE) and Triple A KFOG/SAN FRANCISCO, effective APRIL 4th.
SCHOCK has programmed successful radio stations for the past two decades, serving as PD at Classic Rock KGB-F/SAN DIEGO; Alternative XTRA (91X)/SAN DIEGO; Adult Hits KJAC/DENVER; and KNRX (92X)/DENVER. SCHOCK’s 33-year radio career also includes programming and on-air positions at stations including: WRXP/NEW YORK; KNAC/LOS ANGELES; WLZR/MILWAUKEE; WHVY/BALTIMORE; and KCUV/DENVER.
VP/Market Manager JUSTIN WITTMAYER said, “BRYAN’s vision and passion for KFOG and KSAN are unrivaled. This is a transformational time for KFOG. We are confident that his plans will exceed the expectations of both of our audiences.”
SCHOCK said, "I grew up in CALIFORNIA and I LOVE rock music ... talk about landing the perfect gig! I can't wait to take KFOG to new heights in the Triple A world while keeping a hand in my rockin' roots with THE BONE (KSAN). Big thanks go out to JUSTIN WITTMAYER, TROY HANSON, DAVE MILNER and MIKE MCVAY. This is a dream job and I can’t wait to get started."
Let's get right to it.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
Maybe KFOG will evolve into San Francisco "Bob"
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 11:19:14 AM »
Per urth's post above, I was not aware that the previous PD had left "earlier this year" -- interesting that just around the time he left AL started doing the FB 10@10 request thing again and playing a bunch of bustouts... that can't've been a coinkydink.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 11:35:06 AM »
Alright, I need to put this out of my head and get some work done. What say we move this discussion over to the "KFOG but not 10@10" board, and if anybody hears anything concrete, post it over there, 'k?
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 31 March 2016: it's... over
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 12:59:58 PM »
Unless there was any 2005 content, I guess we should change the subject line?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 31 March 2016: it's... over
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 01:24:41 PM »
Unless there was any 2005 content, I guess we should change the subject line?

I suppose, but, it was *going* to be 2005 the day 10@10 died, so maybe it's historically significant...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 31 March 2016: it's... 2005 (The end of an era)
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »
This isn't some horrible April Fool's joke? :(
Tuned to a natural E