Author Topic: 25 March 2016: it's a "Good" Friday set  (Read 19154 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 25 March 2016: it's a "Good" Friday set
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 06:59:46 PM »
WOS Disco Dead.
Hey, this ain't no Shakedown Street! I like it. Always enjoyed hearing this in concert.

yeah, SS is more disco-y, tho' iirc Arista serviced this one to clubs too. It was all Clive Davis' fault.

There are few things I agree with Dave Marsh about, but his line about the Dead doing the lamest, whitest covers of R&B songs ever is pretty (pun intended) dead-on.

MAW, "Be Good Johnny" gets a VHM.
Dave Marsh exposes himself in this, if he really said that.  Their Pigpen-era versions of "Turn On Your Lovelight" and Otis' "Hard to Handle" are classics.  The modern day "Good Lovin'" was more like a gospel revival in a hippie kind of way.  But everyone's got to have their clever opinions!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 10:24:15 PM »
My personal request (which I don't think was duplicated) is Jefferson Airplane's Good Shepherd. Slim chance, since I just requested it about 20 minutes ago, but you never know.
Woulda been sweet.

Live Tuna version:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g6cJR9copFw

I just listened to this literally yesterday, and was reminded that AL 1.0 was digging deeper
into JA's catalogue than Dave had, as she was with some other artists I favor.  Sadly that
changed a few years back and we haven't seen a return.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 10:32:21 PM »
WOS Disco Dead.
Hey, this ain't no Shakedown Street! I like it. Always enjoyed hearing this in concert.
yeah, SS is more disco-y, tho' iirc Arista serviced this one to clubs too. It was all Clive Davis' fault.

There are few things I agree with Dave Marsh about, but his line about the Dead doing the lamest, whitest covers of R&B songs ever is pretty (pun intended) dead-on.

MAW, "Be Good Johnny" gets a VHM.
Dave Marsh exposes himself in this, if he really said that.  Their Pigpen-era versions of "Turn On Your Lovelight" and Otis' "Hard to Handle" are classics.  The modern day "Good Lovin'" was more like a gospel revival in a hippie kind of way.  But everyone's got to have their clever opinions!

The Dead have always been about the live show.  Some of what was put on vinyl seems stale by
comparison, and IMO the Shakedown Street album is among the poorer efforts in that regard.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"