Author Topic: RIP David Bowie  (Read 7179 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:20:38 PM by Here'sToYa! »
Slipping into something
And out of something else

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 11:52:37 PM »
Stunned

I think that applies to all of us.

RIP.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 05:36:26 AM »
Stunned

I think that applies to all of us.

RIP.

Ditto - I thought the Captain's suggestion for a 10@10 set had to do with his birthday.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
Now, 12+ hours later, I'm still kind of reeling from the news of his passing. This is probably the biggest celebrity death since Robin Williams, and for me the biggest musical loss since George Harrison.

Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »
Now, 12+ hours later, I'm still kind of reeling from the news of his passing. This is probably the biggest celebrity death since Robin Williams, and for me the biggest musical loss since George Harrison.

I was just thinking that r/ music - Bowie is certainly the biggest name since Harrison to pass (although, one could argue for Whitney Houston).

Edit: Actually, now that I've had a second to think about it, Michael Jackson would have to qualify.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 03:03:52 PM »
...and the stars look very different today.

I was wondering if Bowie might not be the most important British solo artist ever.  (by definition I'm excluding former Beatles)

Who else even joins the conversation?  Elton?

fwiw, Dred will be playing an hour of Bowie from 9-10 tonight.

ETA:  They were even talking about this on KNBR 680 this morning, among other things pointing out that we have Bowie to thank for the expression "Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:07:09 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 03:41:35 PM »
They were even talking about this on KNBR 680 this morning, among other things pointing out that we have Bowie to thank for the expression "Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am"

actually, the phrase pre-dates Bowie by decades. Deam Martin had a song by that title in the '50s.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 04:05:27 PM »

I'd probably add Eric Clapton and Elvis Costello as well, but I think Bowie would win the debate.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 09:56:06 AM »

I'd probably add Eric Clapton and Elvis Costello as well, but I think Bowie would win the debate.

Yep, that's a tough one. I keep thinking "Townshend. No,wait,he was in the Who. Plant was in Zeppelin." Lots of amazing British artists, but most of them were in bands.

And yes, I'd forgotten about Michael Jackson. The reaction to his passing was about this level.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »
I'm going apeshit on Bowie's discography. So much to adore. Tony Visconti for president!  Carlos Alomar gets a cabinet position just for the licks on Fame.

I'm listening to his Deram label self-titled 1967 debut. So very Moodies meets the showtune side of Steve Marriott - I wonder if they ever met over laying the same bloke? Some Keith West and CERTAINLY Giles Giles & Fripp in there, too.  ([Or vice versa, more likely, given the timing of the respective records referred to.)

I listened to Space Oddity last night on headphones, which was unsettling. The stereo separation revealed vocal harmonies that I had never heard before.  He's singing dual tracks, one left ear, one right.  I think I like the mono version of this.

"Mono works in every case, bitches."
 -- Abraham Lincoln

ok, onward...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:28:08 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
...Carlos Alomar gets a cabinet position just for the licks on Fame.

from http://davidbowienews.com/2014/08/exclusive-carlos-alomar-qa-carlos-answers-the-questions-you-sent-in/

Hi Carlos,

If you were stranded on an Island, and you could have just one Bowie song to play, which one would it be?

C A/ Well, that’s easy… Somebody up there likes me. For many reasons…The total experience of first meeting David and finally working with him. Plus, David’s’ vocal performance is stellar. My wife Robin Clark and my best friend Luther Vandross are singing background vocals, so it’s easy to see why this song (to this day) pretty much expresses my gratitude for my life.

~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 11:44:23 PM »
This one is especially hard.  He seemed outside of time.  I never imagined a world without Bowie.

Which is dumb, of course.  He wasn't an elf, immortal and magical.  Maybe I read too much fantasy...

Given that I read too much fantasy, my lasting impression is of Bowie as "elven".  Slightly alien, constantly casting illusions, he was always questing towards ... whatever the f*ck elves quest for.  The next magical thing, I guess.  He started his own ISP - that was pretty cool.  It's only a metaphor.

Anyway, if he makes it to the Grey Havens, he can hang out with Frodo.

Seriously, though, RIP David.  I don't even know how to deal.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »
This one is especially hard.  He seemed outside of time.  I never imagined a world without Bowie.

Which is dumb, of course.  He wasn't an elf, immortal and magical.  Maybe I read too much fantasy...

Given that I read too much fantasy, my lasting impression is of Bowie as "elven".  Slightly alien, constantly casting illusions, he was always questing towards ... whatever the f*ck elves quest for.  The next magical thing, I guess.  He started his own ISP - that was pretty cool.  It's only a metaphor.

Anyway, if he makes it to the Grey Havens, he can hang out with Frodo.

Seriously, though, RIP David.  I don't even know how to deal.

Well said
Slipping into something
And out of something else

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 07:21:27 AM »

Musically, Elvis.  Celebrity-wise, hard to say.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!