Author Topic: KFOG A-to-Z 2016  (Read 15538 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG A-to-Z 2016
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 07:13:01 PM »
3 INXS songs in 25 minutes...Need You Tonight, Never Tear Us Apart, and New Sensation.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 08:21:33 PM »
3 INXS songs in 25 minutes...Need You Tonight, Never Tear Us Apart, and New Sensation.

And all from the same album...
Tuned to a natural E

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 09:52:12 PM »

And all from the same album...

If the fourth single had been "Nevil Inside"...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 07:35:58 AM »
Renee said this morning that "Ordinary World" was Duran Duran's "biggest hit". Er... no, honey, It peaked at #3 and they had two #1s and a #2 before that.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 09:46:50 AM »
Renee said this morning that "Ordinary World" was Duran Duran's "biggest hit". Er... no, honey, It peaked at #3 and they had two #1s and a #2 before that.

Maybe she was referring to the R-n-R charts, where it did indeed spend two weeks at #1, as opposed to a single week each for "Reflex", "Wild Boys" and "A View To A Kill". But somehow I doubt that's what she meant.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »
Yesterday I awoke to the "Come" songs; now before 10@10 it's the "Head" songs. Hrm.

and now it's "Pump". I sense a pattern.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 10:00:11 AM »

Yesterday afternoon I tuned in just to see where they were and heard two Counting Crows songs back-to-back -- Mr. Jones and Mrs. Potter's Whateveritscalled. Painful.

They do seem to be hitting the current playlist harder than in past years, and fewer deep catalog songs, and VERY few older than 1980.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »

Yesterday afternoon I tuned in just to see where they were and heard two Counting Crows songs back-to-back -- Mr. Jones and Mrs. Potter's Whateveritscalled. Painful.

They do seem to be hitting the current playlist harder than in past years, and fewer deep catalog songs, and VERY few older than 1980.

Yeah, it's "stuff we play all the time" and "stuff we play on 10@10". Which is misleading to anyone who's new to KFOG, thinking they're gonna hear a lot of Don Henley or Culture Club when A-to-Z ends.  (and they can get that on Oldies 103.7, anyway)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
As has been the case in recent editions of A-Z there have been some strange omissions.  Like on Monday they went to commercial after "Bizarre Love Triangle", and I told myself, cool, now we're going to hear two or three songs that start with 'Black'.  But instead they went straight into a couple 'Blue' songs.

Tellingly, on the "Mind The Gap" bit this morning the questions all had answers with the letter M, since when Irish Greg prepared them earlier in the week he figured they'd be in the M's, and not 2/3 through the P's.  Later Renee said this would go into next week, but I will be shocked at this rate if they don't wrap up easiy on Sunday.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »

Maybe she was referring to the R-n-R charts, where it did indeed spend two weeks at #1, as opposed to a single week each for "Reflex", "Wild Boys" and "A View To A Kill". But somehow I doubt that's what she meant.

I generally refer to Ordinary World as Duran Duran’s biggest hit too, for that exact reason.

http://wweb.uta.edu/faculty/gghunt/charts/duranduran.html

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 03:01:08 PM »
Well, I’m glad they played Run by Snow Patrol. IMO their best song, one that doesn’t get as much airplay as it should considering how much this format loves their other songs esp. Chocolate, Chasing Cars, and Called Out in the Dark.

Songs I thought had a chance but was disappointed not to hear:
Thomas Dolby - I Love You Goodbye
Tears for Fears - Pale Shelter

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 09:43:42 PM »

That's surprising, given its popularity on 10@10 (and the 10@10 bias this A-to-Z has been showing).

Speaking of, I just tuned in and they were playing all-time LN "Walls Came Down" by the Call. Which means A-to-Z should easily wrap up before midnight tomorrow night.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 10:01:44 PM »

That's surprising, given its popularity on 10@10 (and the 10@10 bias this A-to-Z has been showing).

Speaking of, I just tuned in and they were playing all-time LN "Walls Came Down" by the Call. Which means A-to-Z should easily wrap up before midnight tomorrow night.

That song files under "The"  -- "The Walls Came Down" -- so that will spread it out more.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 10:02:42 PM »
I heard the "Stay" songs earlier today, and they did not play David Bowie's "Stay".  Bummer.   

Lisa Loeb got a spin, of course.
~CPL593H~