Author Topic: 3 March 2015: an "encore" from... 1967 !  (Read 6263 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 3 March 2015: an "encore" from... 1967 !
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »
Another BOS for BuffalO Springfield. (See what I did there?)

LOL!

That's now a running joke between me & my 15 yr old, Adrian.  Any time either of us can do anything halfway clever we always say that.  Kind of a low level competition to see who can do it with more regularity.
Haha, my 15-year-old Nathan is big on that phrase too. I actually asked him how it's supposed to be used, having first heard it from a Stanford student at rehearsal for Ruddigore (Stanford Savoyards' Gilbert and Sullivan show).

Yeah, sometimes it's just bad puns, but you get more points for making a clever cultural allegory.

The first time I ran across that term was in Billy Crystal's Mr. Saturday Night, where he plays a pioneering comedian from the early days of TV (think Sid Caesar or Carl Reiner). No idea if it had been coined prior to that.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 3 March 2015: an "encore" from... 1967 !
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »

The first time I ran across that term was in Billy Crystal's Mr. Saturday Night, where he plays a pioneering comedian from the early days of TV (think Sid Caesar or Carl Reiner). No idea if it had been coined prior to that.

speaking of which, the promos for that new show with Crystal and Josh Gad looks dreadful to my eyes.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 3 March 2015: same old same old?
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »
and this from AL, in a reply she posted to a compliment on her FB page:

"I'm looking forward to mixing up more live (and recording them for future use or just to have), but it is nice to be able to let shows that I put a lot of creative work into (and you all put a lot of great requests into) get some more air time while the engineers put together the new spiffy studios at Battery for KFOG and our sister stations..."

Sounds to me like (as someone else on FB suggested) it may be a while because, y'know, Cumulus is cheap and they can only work on one studio at a time.

AKA "It's coming back, but we have no idea when".

I didn't really think it was dead - unlike "Connected", at least they can air reruns.

and they continue to run the (generic) promos and of course they brought back the maret mathon. 10@10 has always been the highest-rated hour of the day for KFOG, so they'd have to be daft to kill it. Whether they think it can be micro-managed according to consultant-approved lists of songs is another issue.

Today's post-set message from AL included the following:

"Soon, we should have the new digs equipped with all the ingredients needed for me to mix 'em up live again. For now, it's fun to go back in time to go back in time:-) it's mostly March '12 classics this week. Thanks for being in!"

So were there other great sets we heard in March three years ago?
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 3 March 2015: same old same old?
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 04:37:46 PM »
and this from AL, in a reply she posted to a compliment on her FB page:

"I'm looking forward to mixing up more live (and recording them for future use or just to have), but it is nice to be able to let shows that I put a lot of creative work into (and you all put a lot of great requests into) get some more air time while the engineers put together the new spiffy studios at Battery for KFOG and our sister stations..."

Sounds to me like (as someone else on FB suggested) it may be a while because, y'know, Cumulus is cheap and they can only work on one studio at a time.

AKA "It's coming back, but we have no idea when".

I didn't really think it was dead - unlike "Connected", at least they can air reruns.

and they continue to run the (generic) promos and of course they brought back the maret mathon. 10@10 has always been the highest-rated hour of the day for KFOG, so they'd have to be daft to kill it. Whether they think it can be micro-managed according to consultant-approved lists of songs is another issue.

Today's post-set message from AL included the following:

"Soon, we should have the new digs equipped with all the ingredients needed for me to mix 'em up live again. For now, it's fun to go back in time to go back in time:-) it's mostly March '12 classics this week. Thanks for being in!"

So were there other great sets we heard in March three years ago?

Without looking it up, I recall that was the first month of the Snipes, and at the time 10@10 could do no wrong. At least, that's how I remember it (even a 1997 set received a lot of kudos).