Author Topic: I didn't know that!  (Read 65208 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« on: October 14, 2005, 07:35:40 PM »
Trivia rules my life.

Frank Farian (of Milli Vanilli) produced not only Boney M (which I knew) but Eruption's hit cover of "I Can't Stand the Rain" (which I SO didn't).  He's had a bit more impact than I like to think.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 11:05:13 AM »
One of the acts on KPIG's Sunday morning playing-live-in-the-studio show performed a cover of Stevie's "Superstition", which they said was a favorite because "it's about inequality" -- and damned if it had never occured to me that "superstition" is a metaphor for prejudice. "if you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer"... All these years I thought it was about ladders and black cats. Live and learn!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 01:39:16 PM »
Reviving this really old thread because I just learned from AMG that none other than Jann Wenner produced Boz's "Loan Me a Dime."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Boz
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Reviving this really old thread because I just learned from AMG that none other than Jann Wenner produced Boz's "Loan Me a Dime."
I wonder when AMG learned this?
 :lol:  :lol:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 01:57:01 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Of course Jann's original lyric was "Loan me a Brisket".

TANC: The guy who blogs at hollywood-elsewhere.com asked recently if anyone remembered what '80s movie Boz's "I'm Easy" (from the same LP; NOT the Keith Carradine hit) was used in .  I've no idea.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 08:57:12 PM »
Just saw a promo for the new Sci-Fi Channel miniseries, The Lost Room. It stars Peter Krause, best known as Nate on Six Feet Under.  The announcer pronounced his name "KRAU-zuh", rather than "Kraus", which I (and most of America, I'd wager) always assumed it was. Coulda knocked me over with a feather.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 12:10:15 PM »
Greg on CG just mentioned that Freda "Band of Gold" Payne is married to Gregory "Shake You Down" Abbott -- news to me!

after Googling I discovered they've been married since 1978 (long before his chart success), apparently they met when he wrote some songs she recorded. He's 11 years her junior -- you GO, Ms Payne!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 03:31:28 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Greg on CG just mentioned that Freda "Band of Gold" Payne is married to Gregory "Shake You Down" Abbott -- news to me!

after Googling I discovered they've been married since 1978 (long before his chart success), apparently they met when he wrote some songs she recorded. He's 11 years her junior -- you GO, Ms Payne!

WOW!!! i did not know that!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 02:35:05 PM »
I can't believe I didn't know this, but...

"Can't Get Enough of You Baby', which I always knew as a ? & the Mysterians song (one of their follow-ups to "96 Tears"), which was later covered by The Colourfield and Smash Mouth, was actually originally recorded by... The Four Seasons.  I've never heard their version; has anyone?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
So I brought the Buddah Records Box to work today (thanks, Gaz!) and it has Steve Goodman's orig version of "City of New Orleans" which contains the lines

And the sons of pullman porters
And the sons of engineers
Ride their father's magic carpets made of steam.
Mothers with their babes asleep,
Are rockin' to the gentle beat
And the rhythm of the rails is all they dream.

And I thought, "isn't STEAM really STEEL and DREAM really FEEL?"

Well, it turns out numerous cover versions (Arlo's hit, Willie Nelson etc etc) did indeed change the lyrics. The entry on Top40 db even points out this oddity.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
jeez man
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 03:54:06 PM »
So I brought the Buddah Records Box to work today (thanks, Gaz!) and it has Steve Goodman's orig version of "City of New Orleans" which contains the lines

Well, it turns out numerous cover versions (Arlo's hit, Willie Nelson etc etc) did indeed change the lyrics. The entry on Top40 db even points out this oddity.

if you have iTunes at the office, just rip me an MP3!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 07:49:52 PM »
So I just got this from the Ken Jennings weekly trivia email that I subscribe to....and for all the articles I've read about him & all the talking about him that goes on here, this bit was still unknown to me.

Barry Zito has a Hollywood celebrity uncle.  Who is he?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: jeez man
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 10:39:12 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Arlo's City is what has been getting the most play from a disc Gaz burned for me (Singers/Songwriters) and before I read all of your post I was thinking "Steam!?" I have been hearing and singing steel.
While on the subject, what is the meaning of "...and the steel rails still aint heard the news".
What news?
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 07:22:07 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Quote from: "ggould"

Arlo's City is what has been getting the most play from a disc Gaz burned for me (Singers/Songwriters) and before I read all of your post I was thinking "Steam!?" I have been hearing and singing steel.
While on the subject, what is the meaning of "...and the steel rails still aint heard the news".
What news?

I've only heard Goodman's version once on KPIG.  I seem to remember it was different.  What news?  Perhaps the news of the end of the railroad?  Something like that?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 07:31:56 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
What news?

The news that the railroads are an outdated mode of travel. The feeling back in the late '60s/early '70s was that they were going the way of the dinosaur.