Author Topic: Monday October 24th 1991  (Read 9091 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 10:29:56 AM »
VHM "Still Got the Blues".  'cause it's Monday.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 10:30:11 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
BOS Barton Fink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I gotta go with ya on this, Mark. A couple of personal faves (the Crowded House and the U2) and a couple of HMs but no standout BOS candidates among the musical selections.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 10:32:21 AM »
BOS#2 INXS.

I wonder if Still Got The Blues remains the all-time best-selling blues album.  It did for a while there, which is pretty good for a white, Irish guitar player out of a hard rock band.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005, 10:35:57 AM »
That song that preceded the R.E.M. -- anyone else notice that the wailing guitar solo was playing pretty much the refrain from Lionel Richie's "Hello"?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 10:37:47 AM »
BOS#2 INXS.

I wonder if Still Got The Blues remains the all-time best-selling blues album.  It did for a while there, which is pretty good for a white, Irish guitar player out of a hard rock band.

But BB King got payback by doing that Gaelic album :wink:

"LMR": Consider this, the katrina of the century. (Well, it's up there with Color Me Badd as Katrina of '91 anyway.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 10:40:27 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
That song that preceded the R.E.M. -- anyone else notice that the wailing guitar solo was playing pretty much the refrain from Lionel Richie's "Hello"?

Wow, you're right.  I'm sculpting Garry Moore's head in Starburst fruit chews as we speak.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 10:41:06 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
WOS, CMB "A4L". Dave promised over a year ago to play "I Wanna Sex U Up" --and we're still waiting.

Did you call Dave up and harsh on this one? Or are their other CMB detractors out there? (Betting it's the latter--and I'm one of them...)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 10:43:18 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
WOS, CMB "A4L". Dave promised over a year ago to play "I Wanna Sex U Up" --and we're still waiting.

Did you call Dave up and harsh on this one? Or are their other CMB detractors out there? (Betting it's the latter--and I'm one of them...)

I emailed him and voted CMB WOS -- and reminded him of his unfulfilled promise, re: "Sex U Up".  If there were others besides me, so much the better.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 10:53:35 AM »
I sent Dave a 2nd email:

"It's all in fun, isn't it?

You know how much we love both you and 10-at-10.  However, you do play "All 4 Love" in the majority of 1991 sets (cute tune, but come on already), and you DID say a while back that you'd play "I Wanna Sex You Up" sometime. Late '80s and early '90s sets seem to start off with a much smaller "pool" of acceptable songs (compared to, say '73 or '82), and it gets frustrating to those of us who listen every day.  We razz you because we care, bub. :-)"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 11:09:19 AM »
I sent Dave a 2nd email:

You know how much we love both you and 10-at-10.  However, you do play "All 4 Love" in the majority of 1991 sets (cute tune, but come on already), and you DID say a while back that you'd play "I Wanna Sex You Up" sometime. Late '80s and early '90s sets seem to start off with a much smaller "pool" of acceptable songs (compared to, say '73 or '82), and it gets frustrating to those of us who listen every day.  We razz you because we care, bub. :-)"

I just had a thought, re: Daves post '84 set selections.  Maybe he wishes he could be like Bob & never go past '84, but mgmt forces him to do so.  In retaliation he deliberately plays much more mediocre songs, just to prove his point. Or at least he feels that if he's being forced to do something he will be a lot less inspired compared to the years that he loves.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2005, 12:30:05 PM »
I sent Dave a 2nd email:

I just had a thought, re: Daves post '84 set selections.  Maybe he wishes he could be like Bob & never go past '84, but mgmt forces him to do so.  In retaliation he deliberately plays much more mediocre songs, just to prove his point. Or at least he feels that if he's being forced to do something he will be a lot less inspired compared to the years that he loves.

You could be right. I joked recently that we seem to get more of those sets when he's on vacay and that maybe he chooses them as "classics" so he doesn't have to actually HEAR them.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2005, 02:39:06 PM »
10/24/05 - Monday!  The not too distant past...1991!!!

Crowded House - It's Only Natural
Marc Cohn - 29 Ways
U2 - One
The KLF - 3 a.m. Eternal
Rembrandts - Just the Way it is Baby
Chris Whitley - Big Sky Country
Color Me Badd - All 4 Love
INXS - Shining Star
Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues (B-O-S!!)
REM - Losing My Religion
MOVIE:  Barton Fink

BONUS TRACK:  Talking Heads - Sax and Violins

So, I was driving out to an early lunch when Annalisa rattled off her 4 choices for the bonus track, which were "Sax & Violins" (at which point I was going 'Oh Yeah!' in the car), "Three Strange Days" by School of Fish (another big 'Yay!'), something by Buddy Guy & Crash Test Dummies' "Superman's Song" (both of which got a 'Hmmm, can't go too far wrong there' response from me). Fortunately for me the Foghead guy picked Talking Heads, so I was totally cruising down 101 jamming to my favorite TH song.

Once it finished I called up Annalisa to tell her how much I enjoyed hearing that.  We chatted for about 6 minutes & it was very revealing.  First thing I asked her was what is it like when she comes in at the end of Dave's set, has she been listening to the whole thing or does she need to check so she doesn't offer up a dupe bonus track.  Answer: they usually rehash the set real quickly, which I infer to mean that she misses some of it on her way into the station.  Second thing I asked was doe she ever give Dave any feedback & if so does he listen?  She said 1)"sometimes" and 2) "hard to tell".  She seemed especially in a chatty mood & asked me what I had in mind (or words to that effect anyway), such as was I talking about Colour Me Badd.  I repeated Mike's line about "All 4 Love" being a cute song & all, but why not play "I Wanna Sex You Up" sometime instead of playing the former in half of all '91 sets.  I also mentioned the frequency of such things as FYC & Crowded House (kicking myself now for failing to mention Robbie Nevil).  I told her that often her selection of potential bonus tracks is much more diverse than Dave's set list in the late 80's early 90's & asked her if she brings a lot of that stuff from home.

Here's where it gets really interesting.  Annalisa said, Yes, she brings a lot of that from home & then proceeded to give me a fairly lengthy explanation of how she only came aboard in 95-96, and when she goes through the KFOG library for stuff from the preceeding several years there's a lot of stuff [emphasis hers] that she simply can't find.  This has led her to the conclusion that during those years KFOG was much more of a 'classic rock' station than it is today.  She said she's much more of an 80's person herself (& y'all know what I said to that), and also confirmed the obvious, that Dave is not so much of that era.  She added that if there were anything, such as the School of Fish song (which we had chatted about at the beginning of my call) that I wanted to hear, I should do an e-quest, which she might play at any point in her shift.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gaz at da Voice

Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2005, 03:09:09 PM »
10/24/05 - Monday!  The not too distant past...1991!!!

Crowded House - It's Only Natural
Marc Cohn - 29 Ways
U2 - One
The KLF - 3 a.m. Eternal
Rembrandts - Just the Way it is Baby
Chris Whitley - Big Sky Country
Color Me Badd - All 4 Love
INXS - Shining Star
Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues (B-O-S!!)
REM - Losing My Religion

Didn't notice until now the mini-theme: four songs with numbers in the titles.

As for best-selling blues album of all time, I'd bet on Crapton/King's "Riding With the King."  Could be interesting to investigate that.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 06:29:23 AM »
Hey, gang! I won't be able to join you at 10 today (Tue) as I'll be doing a murder mystery at the Winchester Mystery House.

As long as the ghosts there weren't theater critics in their former lives we should be in good shape....
nakes? On my plane?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday October 24th 1991
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 08:30:54 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"
Hey, gang! I won't be able to join you at 10 today (Tue) as I'll be doing a murder mystery at the Winchester Mystery House.

As long as the ghosts there weren't theater critics in their former lives we should be in good shape....

I wish I could see that!  I've never been to the Winchester House!  (Beej, I've also never seen you act.  Must remedy this someday.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”