Author Topic: 15 May 2014: it's... 1971!  (Read 9066 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 15 May 2014: it's... 1971!
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »
Commercial: Buy the World a Coke --> "The Revolution Will Not Be televised"!! uber-BOS3

it's not on demand or netflix, either.  Maybe I can get it at the library?

Michael Frant, who was friends with Gil Scott Heron, used to call him "Pills Pot Heroin," according to some article I read.
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 10:40:05 AM »
RCA TV commercial ---> Three Dog Night "Joy To The World"

ETA: I should dig up Hoyt Axton's version of this song.

In 1971, with my little plastic transistor radio, I could not get enough of this song, which was good because it got played every 45 minutes on our local Drake-Chenault programmed top 40 station.

Nowadays, I could live without it. But it definitely says 1971.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »
Shaft ---> Isaac Hayes "Theme From Shaft"

Worthy of a VHM here, if only because this was a big fave of my high school pep band.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »
Overall my BOS votes go to Nilsson and Gil Scott-Heron, vhm to Rod and The Beginning of the End.

Y'know, there used to be a club in Cotati called The Inn of the Beginning...just had to mention.
Let's get right to it.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »

In 1971, with my little plastic transistor radio, I could not get enough of this song, which was good because it got played every 45 minutes on our local Drake-Chenault programmed top 40 station.

Kids love Joy to the World.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 10:58:20 AM »
Capn, I just noticed your requests for this set on AL's page. I would have wholeheartedly supported any of those and was *this close* to calling out the Ray Price tune, but I just wanted to keep mine to one song.
Let's get right to it.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
Capn, I just noticed your requests for this set on AL's page. I would have wholeheartedly supported any of those and was *this close* to calling out the Ray Price tune, but I just wanted to keep mine to one song.

I posted my requests very late, so it wasn't likely AL would have considered any of them seriously for today's set (and I missed the "one song" part of her post).  Maybe I'll repost my early '71 set which featured all of my requests...
Tuned to a natural E

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »

It's true.  That opening line, "Jeremiah was a bullfrog," is completely irresistible to kids. I was one (a kid) when this came out, and I remember singing it out loud, even in music class in school.  Not sure what they said about the "mighty fine wine" part, though.  I went to public school, and wine was frowned upon there -- unlike Catholic grade school, which I never went to, thank god.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »

It's true.  That opening line, "Jeremiah was a bullfrog," is completely irresistible to kids. I was one (a kid) when this came out, and I remember singing it out loud, even in music class in school.  Not sure what they said about the "mighty fine wine" part, though.  I went to public school, and wine was frowned upon there -- unlike Catholic grade school, which I never went to, thank god.

Only altar boys got to drink wine. Unfortunately I was a choir boy.  OTOH, choir boys rarely got molested.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 12:20:54 PM »
1. The Beginning of the End - Funky Nassau
2. Sly and the Family Stone - (You Caught Me) Smilin'
3. Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story
4. Yes - I've Seen All Good People/Your Move
5. Ringo Starr - It Don't Come Easy
6. Nilsson - Think About Your Troubles
7. Carole King - Beautiful
8. Gil Scott-Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (BOS!)
9. Three Dog Night - Joy to the World
10. Isaac Hayes - Theme from "Shaft"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:37:58 PM by RGMike »

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 11:21:51 PM »
I'd Like To Buy The World A Coke ---> Gil Scott-Heron "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"

BOSBOS

One of the all-time great songs.  Apart from the compelling rap, the music alone has a slamming
groove.  This is the closest thing to a rarity in today's set, having appeared only once before,
where it also took BOS honors.  GSH probably tops my list of artists I would like to hear more of
on 10@10.  He has a body of work that I think would be similarly well-received by Fogheads, but
I'm not holding my breath.

While much of today's set was wonderful, it had a high LNQ.  I think that's inexcusable for one
of the strongest years.  While I do not judge the quality of a 10@10 set solely by bust-outs --
or obscurities, or seques, for that matter -- one of the measures of a good show is one or more
moments of "wow, I haven't heard this for a while."  And although we did get a little taste of
that today, it could be much better.  There's enough material, much of it from "big name" artists,
that there could be a couple of bust-outs every time 1971 comes around on the big wheel
for several years.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »
I'd Like To Buy The World A Coke ---> Gil Scott-Heron "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"

BOSBOS

One of the all-time great songs.  Apart from the compelling rap, the music alone has a slamming
groove.  This is the closest thing to a rarity in today's set, having appeared only once before,
where it also took BOS honors.  GSH probably tops my list of artists I would like to hear more of
on 10@10.  He has a body of work that I think would be similarly well-received by Fogheads, but

While much of today's set was wonderful, it had a high LNQ.  I think that's inexcusable for one
of the strongest years.  While I do not judge the quality of a 10@10 set solely by bust-outs --
or obscurities, or seques, for that matter -- one of the measures of a good show is one or more
moments of "wow, I haven't heard this for a while."  And although we did get a little taste of
that today, it could be much better.  There's enough material, much of it from "big name" artists,
that there could be a couple of bust-outs every time 1971 comes around on the big wheel
for several years.

Agreed on all counts. Dave did several "Moon" sets over the years but i can't remember if GSH's "Whitey's on the Moon" appeared in any.  "We Almost Lost Detroit" would be another worthy selection. 

And I always used to berate DM for ignoring Carole King in '71 sets, so it's funny that AL's go-to King song in this year is "Beautiful", one he never played -- still many cuts from Tapestry we've never heard, odd given it's one of the biggest-selling LPs ever.

I'm noticing a tendency since AL's return of her playing old faves that were popular in the BOS voting during her first tenure. Or so it seems to my ears.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »
BOSBOS

for several years.
Agreed on all counts. Dave did several "Moon" sets over the years but i can't remember if GSH's "Whitey's on the Moon" appeared in any.  "We Almost Lost Detroit" would be another worthy selection.

I don't recall any moon-themed sets, but he did a couple celebrating "Moon Day" -- July 21, 1969.
One of my all-time favorite DM shows is the one from July 21, 2004, where hits from the day are
interspersed with clips that document the Apollo 11 mission.  BTW, the only appearences of GSH
on 10@10 are the two of The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

And I always used to berate DM for ignoring Carole King in '71 sets, so it's funny that AL's go-to King song in this year is "Beautiful", one he never played -- still many cuts from Tapestry we've never heard, odd given it's one of the biggest-selling LPs ever.

My "big name bust-out" theory:  there's gold in them thar hills!  Plenty of unmined nuggets on
the albums of the big artists.  After all, that's why they're on the other end of the spectrum
from "one-hit wonders" -- they have a deep catalogue and most of their albums have lots of
good material.  I was compiling some wish lists for 1970 & 1971, and to my surprise most of
the songs were from well-known artists and were relatively well-known in their day.  It would
be easy to assemble a great show for those years with only big name bust-outs.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:36:22 PM by dischead »
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"