Author Topic: 18 March 2014: it's... 1986  (Read 10728 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 18 March 2014: it's... 1986
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 12:08:41 PM »
AL finally got around to posting the BOS winner on her FB page (and apologized for taking so long in getting her vote-tallying act together). Today's winner: Robert Palmer and his quartet of android hotties.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »
I of course loved Max Headroom!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 10:29:50 PM »
So, still nothing to replace the RnR Roulette Wheel?  Big Wheel? Digital thingamajig?

That is a little surprising, and disappointing.  Also the fact that they're using Renee's opening
with "Annalisa" overdubbed.  I'm hoping it's not a sign of less effort on AL's part.  I'm willing
to blame the crutches for now if things improve in the future.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 10:41:22 PM »
Max Headroom -- was there ever a more overhyped nothing in the '80s?

eek, we're gonna get his "hit" too?  WOS2.
you were working in media in the 80s and therefore were more in tune with advertising and pop culture?  because I don't think it was overhyped.  Either that, or I bought in to the hype.  I like the show.
The show, despite a barrage of publicity by ABC, flopped. (at least on this side of the Atlantic; it was pretty popular in the UK) And yet we had Max Headroom making a record with Art of Noise... Max Headroom doing Pepsi commercials... and so on. People over 30 were like, "whotheFUCK is Max Headroom??"  Seemed like overkill to me, considering how shortlived the MH phenomenon was.

Does a short-lived show, a commercial, and one song add up to over-hyped?  I wouldn't think so,
but I can't say since that was during a twelve-year period when I watched essentially no television
whatsoever.

Eventually I saw Max Headroom, and I like the show.  It seems somewhat prescient, what with
themes about widespread public obsession with vacuous video entertainment, manipulation of
consumer consumption, and income inequality resulting in a bifurcated society.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"