Author Topic: I dunno- maybe it's just me....  (Read 3531 times)

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
I dunno- maybe it's just me....
« on: October 04, 2005, 02:49:29 PM »
I'm not sure why- but I find nothing remotely funny about Jon Carroll's column today. Maybe I'm being too sensitive or something. I get like that sometimes....

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/04/DDGRQE2SF11.DTL

It just seems like something I wouldn't be all flip about. It just makes him sound insensitive and a little uninformed. I dunno.
nakes? On my plane?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: I dunno- maybe it's just me....
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 03:04:15 PM »
Quote from: "Beej"
I'm not sure why- but I find nothing remotely funny about Jon Carroll's column today. Maybe I'm being too sensitive or something. I get like that sometimes....

It just seems like something I wouldn't be all flip about. It just makes him sound insensitive and a little uninformed. I dunno.

well, i don't know anything about the true hostage story, but i rather like his spin on it. it is pretty amazing that he gave himself up quietly without harming her.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 03:29:49 PM »

Yes, I thought today's column was a bit out there myself.  I'm a big fan, but how this story could be his favorite news story of the year ....

I see where he was going with it, but at least 4 people are dead, and one woman repeatedly raped.  But the pancakes and speed thing was interesting...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 03:33:59 PM »

I liked the column; his point is that this woman who was being promoted as another squeaky-clean Fundie turns out -- surprise -- to have a dark side (as do most people, tho' the Fundies don't like to talk about that).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
I dunno- maybe it's just me....
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 04:48:19 PM »
I liked the column; his point is that this woman who was being promoted as another squeaky-clean Fundie turns out -- surprise -- to have a dark side (as do most people, tho' the Fundies don't like to talk about that).

OK. I can see that. I guess I failed to see that at first because I don't really remember this woman being promoted as some kind of great religious person when the story broke. Granted, I didn't read every article that was written about the incident.

I wasn't surprised when she wrote a book about it, however. And while my initial reaction was one of "oh, well- good for you for admitting it" when she revealed she was a meth-head- I can see now that it may have been a calculated move to promote her book.

But, mostly it left me cold because, as Rod pointed out, this guy's a brutal freak who hurt a lot of people.
nakes? On my plane?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 04:50:27 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Agreed, but it was somewhat off-putting, right from the beginning.  Usually don't have that with Jon Carrol, and Beej's post only confirms that Jon was slightly off of his game.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing