Author Topic: 10 Jan 2014: it's... 1969  (Read 11860 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Jan 2014: it's... 1969
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »

ETA: Thx, Mike for the confirmation on Sarah Vaughan. This is one I'll have to catch on Soundcloud later today.

I did a mix CD of "radio songs" last year and was able to find a free download of that on 4shared.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »

ETA: Thx, Mike for the confirmation on Sarah Vaughan. This is one I'll have to catch on Soundcloud later today.

I did a mix CD of "radio songs" last year and was able to find a free download of that on 4shared.

AL's last 10@10 was radio-themed, and it included the Sarah Vaughan track.
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 11:14:49 PM »
Jethro Tull, "Reasons for Waiting"

Pretty rare JT, another BOS.
The interesting thing is that Tull used to be quite prevalent on classic rock, and I'm not sure songs like these are heard much anymore.

Tull is on my short list of bands that I'd like to hear more on 10@10, especially their earlier
work.  I know that KFOG played tracks from 1987's excellent Crest of a Knave quite a bit, and
yet I think all of them are no-shows on 10@10.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 11:20:02 PM »
Grateful Dead "China Cat Sunflower"
funny thing is even though I love hearing this album version, I think it does get played a decent amount on 10@10

true?
it's showed up a few times but it's still a rarity to me.

Prior to today, once by RR and once by AL.  This may be one of the few recorded versions of
just this song.  The Dead soon added the end of the story so to speak, and it became what
is listed on many set lists as "China Rider."  It's like that other song they sometimes play,
"Scarlet Fire."

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 11:39:40 PM »
Well before the backsell I had the sense that RR was cribbing heavily for this show.  However
she made her choices wisely.  This is perhaps the best we get from her -- good selections from
past sets supported by a strong year.  There was nothing approaching a frequent flyer in today's
set.  While the Temptations and Santana songs have seen a few appearances over the years,
everything else has only been spun two or three times.  Oh, except for the two bust-outs -- did
anybody else catch them?  A very good show... and at 50 minutes, might even be considered epic.

The two bust-outs?  Country Honk and All Together Now.  There are still plenty of unplayed
gems in the back catalogues of big name artists.