Author Topic: 10@10 Pride Edition  (Read 4048 times)

mikap

• View Profile
10@10 Pride Edition
« on: June 17, 2005, 10:07:28 PM »
When is the Pride Edition going to air on 10@10? And will there be any transgender songs this year?

Thanks,

Michelle

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
10@10 Pride Edition
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 10:44:40 PM »
Good questions.  Typically the Pride set airs the Friday before the parade, which in the case of this year is next Friday, the 24th.  I assume the same will hold true this year.  (Which unfortunately means I'll miss the set, as I'll be up in Presque Isle, Maine, for the wedding of my friends Josh and Alli.)  As to the transgender songs, I have to say I doubt it, simply because I am literally not aware of any songs that address transgender issues.  If one were to hit the mainstream, or even a significant inlet, I'm sure Dave would try and play it, but I don't think there's anything with that level of visibility/recognizability at this point.

Welcome to the Clubhouse, too!  Hope you're getting a kick out of it.

Gaz, who runs rap in his free time
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
10@10 Pride Edition
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 11:00:52 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Good questions.  Typically the Pride set airs the Friday before the parade, which in the case of this year is next Friday, the 24th.  I assume the same will hold true this year.  (Which unfortunately means I'll miss the set, as I'll be up in Presque Isle, Maine, for the wedding of my friends Josh and Alli.)  As to the transgender songs, I have to say I doubt it, simply because I am literally not aware of any songs that address transgender issues.  If one were to hit the mainstream, or even a significant inlet, I'm sure Dave would try and play it, but I don't think there's anything with that level of visibility/recognizability at this point.

Welcome to the Clubhouse, too!  Hope you're getting a kick out of it.

Gaz, who runs rap in his free time

Gaz do you consider (or does anyone consider) King's "Love & Pride" to be a 'Pride' song?  I think it ought to be, but then again I'm a breeder, so what do I know.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
10@10 Pride Edition
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 11:13:20 AM »

Actually, I'd say Dar Williams' "When I Was a Boy" qualifies. I don't think Dave has ever played it, but Rosalie plays it on her Acoustic Sunrise show often -- and always includes it on Pride Sunday morning.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
10@10 Pride Edition
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 12:14:31 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Actually, I'd say Dar Williams' "When I Was a Boy" qualifies. I don't think Dave has ever played it, but Rosalie plays it on her Acoustic Sunrise show often -- and always includes it on Pride Sunday morning.

Not that it addresses transgender issues per se, but does "Lola" count? (And not that it's ever been included in a Pride set to my knowledge.)

And before I forget, greetings and welcome to Mikap! Drop by and say howdy whenever you get the chance.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
10@10 Pride Edition
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 05:07:14 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Not that it addresses transgender issues per se, but does "Lola" count? (And not that it's ever been included in a Pride set to my knowledge.)

I suspect that back in the day, when there were fewer songs to choose from, "Lola" might've been included. (I've been listening to Pride Sets since '93, and no "Lola" in that time.)  These days Dave's more about being serious and dignified than about being entertaining, IMHO.  I've said for a number of years that the set could stand some lightening up.

The great thing about "Lola" has always been the ambiguity of "I'm glad I'm a man and so's Lola" -- meaning (a) Lola's also glad? or (b) Lola's also a man?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
10@10 Pride Edition
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 05:08:56 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
do you consider (or does anyone consider) King's "Love & Pride" to be a 'Pride' song?  I think it ought to be, but then again I'm a breeder, so what do I know.

only if he's a Drag King :wink:

mikap

• View Profile
Yes Virginia, there are transgender songs...
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 08:05:11 PM »
Gazoo et. al,

Yes there are a few mainstream transgender songs but Dave Morey has been ignoring them in his Pride sets. Here are a couple (some already mentioned):

Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
Sweet Transvestite - From Rocky Horror
When I Was a Boy - Dar Williams
Lola - The Kinks
The Crying Game - Boy George
Dude Looks Like a Lady - Aerosmith
Bulldagger Swagger - Phranc (ok, not totally mainstream but I love her music)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Yes Virginia, there are transgender songs...
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 01:32:41 PM »
Quote from: "mikap"
Gazoo et. al,

Yes there are a few mainstream transgender songs but Dave Morey has been ignoring them in his Pride sets. Here are a couple (some already mentioned):

Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
Sweet Transvestite - From Rocky Horror
When I Was a Boy - Dar Williams
Lola - The Kinks
The Crying Game - Boy George
Dude Looks Like a Lady - Aerosmith
Bulldagger Swagger - Phranc (ok, not totally mainstream but I love her music)

I would nitpick and say that "Lola" and "Dude" are about androgynes rather than transgenders, but they'd be welcome in a Pride set at any rate, and now I really want to hear this "When I Was a Boy" song.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”