Author Topic: 3 April 2008--it's 1996  (Read 8574 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 3 April 2008--it's 1996
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 10:39:18 AM »
I can easily muster a BOS for "Breakfast At Tiffany's" once more, but Dave better give this a break for the next set or two from '96.

ETA: I see your comment, so which year shoudl it be?

Magic 8-Ball Top 40 db says... '96.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:11 AM »
Hootie only wanna be with John Edwards. Good luck withn that, guys.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:49 AM »
Sort of embarassed to admit A Change Will Do You Good is kind of a guilty pleasure.

I almost agree.  It certainly works well at the ballpark during a pitching change.

And it worked in the context of the Hillary clip, as she went to Bosnia with Ms. Crow & Sinbad(!?)

Heh, Sinbad himself was in the news a week or so back saying, "How dangerous could the visit have been if she brought along Sheryl Crow and *me*?"

(At home watching the 12-week old while my wife has her work morning at the co-op preschool with our 3-year old.  And ugh -- I get a 1996 10@10?  :P)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 10:41:57 AM »
Sort of embarassed to admit A Change Will Do You Good is kind of a guilty pleasure.

I almost agree.  It certainly works well at the ballpark during a pitching change.

And it worked in the context of the Hillary clip, as she went to Bosnia with Ms. Crow & Sinbad(!?)

Heh, Sinbad himself was in the news a week or so back saying, "How dangerous could the visit have been if she brought along Sheryl Crow and *me*?"

(At home watching the 12-week old while my wife has her work morning at the co-op preschool with our 3-year old.  And ugh -- I get a 1996 10@10?  :P)

lucky you weren't here for KBCO, who did '96 too.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 10:43:15 AM »
I can easily muster a BOS for "Breakfast At Tiffany's" once more, but Dave better give this a break for the next set or two from '96.

well, it won BOS (!?!) so it's on its way to being a Katrina-of-the-future.  >:(

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 10:44:13 AM »

But this clip from Fargo is.

In case you missed it:

Mr. Mohra: So, I'm tendin' bar there at Ecklund and Swedlin's last Tuesday and this little guy's drinkin' and he says, "So where can a guy find some action? I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake." And I says, "What kinda action?" and he says, "Woman action, what do I look like?" And I says, "Well, what do I look like, I don't arrange that kinda thing," and he says, "I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake," and I says, "Well, this ain't that kinda place."
Officer Olson: Uh-huh.
Mr. Mohra: So he says, "So I get it, so you think I'm some kinda jerk for askin'," only he doesn't use the word jerk.
Officer Olson: I understand.
Mr. Mohra: And then he calls me a jerk and says the last guy who thought he was a jerk was dead now. So I don't say nothin' and he says, "What do ya think about that?" So I says, "Well, that don't sound like too good a deal for him then."
Officer Olson: Ya got that right.
Mr. Mohra: And he says, "Yah, that guy's dead and I don't mean of old age." And then he says, "Geez, I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake."
Officer Olson: White Bear Lake?
Mr. Mohra: Well, Ecklund & Swedlin's, that's closer ta Moose Lake, so I made that assumption.
Officer Olson: Oh sure.
Mr. Mohra: So, ya know, he's drinkin', so I don't think a whole great deal of it, but Mrs. Mohra heard about the homicides down here and she thought I should call it in, so I called it in. End o' story.
Officer Olson: What'd this guy look like anyway?
Mr. Mohra: Oh, he was a little guy. Kinda funny lookin'.
Officer Olson: Uh-huh. In what way?
Mr. Mohra: Oh, just in a general kinda way.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 10:47:31 AM »
I have to say that was better than I'd expected.  But after 2 hours of '96 I've no need to hear Annalisa's bonus track.

Off to KBEC for Classic Country. One of their local commercials is for a discount optometrist called "Cheaper Peepers".  I kid U not.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
Hey! Macarena!

One of the worst records, like, EVER... but I'd've preferred it to Blues Babbler

Instant M3S quiz:

Hook - Blues Babbler
Magnificent 7 - Clash
Who Are You? - Who

Rin to the Tin to the Tin
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 01:34:10 PM »
Hey! Macarena!

One of the worst records, like, EVER... but I'd've preferred it to Blues Babbler

Instant M3S quiz:

Hook - Blues Babbler
Magnificent 7 - Clash
Who Are You? - Who

G to the A to the Z-O-O!  (obviously my guess was based on the last two, I've probably never paid close attention to "Hook". John Popper would never say the F-word, would he?)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 01:35:29 PM »
04/03/2008 - Thursday...almost there! Great tunes from...1996!!

1.  Bodeans - Closer to Free   
2.  Jars of Clay - Flood   
3.  Collective Soul - The World I Know   
4.  Blues Traveler - Hook   
5.  Beck - Where it's at   
6.  Sheryl Crow - A Change   
7.  Gin Blossoms - Follow You Down   
8.  Radiohead - High & Dry   
9.  Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's   
10.  Hootie & the Blowfish - Only Wanna Be With You   

BONUS TRACK:  Foo Fighters - Big Me

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2008, 02:33:16 PM »
Hey! Macarena!

Instant M3S quiz:

Hook - Blues Babbler
Magnificent 7 - Clash
Who Are You? - Who

G to the A to the Z-O-O!  (obviously my guess was based on the last two, I've probably never paid close attention to "Hook". John Popper would never say the F-word, would he?)

NRBQ's Cap'n Lou, which Rob played in the Peak set this am, would fit in this category as well--I referenced the pertinent line in my response over there. (Or is that what gave you the idea for the M3S?)
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »

NRBQ's Cap'n Lou, which Rob played in the Peak set this am, would fit in this category as well--I referenced the pertinent line in my response over there. (Or is that what gave you the idea for the M3S?)

Not exactly, this one is actually recycled from long ago, but you brought it to mind with that post & then Dave just happened to play "Hook" for us.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:31:46 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

SFGuy

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 10:21:30 PM »
Hey! Macarena!

One?? This record made Starship's We Built This City seem like the Beatles. I would of preferred Blues Traveler.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 10:23:15 PM by SFGuy »